Lowest prices for your stay
US$226
View deal
Free cancellation until 14/10/22
Reserve now, pay at stay
Hotels.com
Agoda.com
US$149
View deal
Free cancellation until 12/10/22
Expedia
ZenHotels.comUS$294
FindHotel
All reviews morse bar drawing room alice in wonderland beautiful hotel ashmolean museum inspector morse valet parking front of house wonderful stay room was clean and comfortable oxford city central location visiting oxford abbie concierge wallpaper furnishings
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 May 2022

We contacted the hotel and inquired what offer they could make for a long-term stay as our daughter need to stay in Oxford for some weeks to complete her studies. It took six calls through ever-waiting on call center staff and a series of mails until, with some arm twisting, we got their offer in writing.

Everything went smoothly at check in and our room on the 3rd floor had a lovely view on the Ashmolian museum. The room (Deluxe Superior king bed) however, has a small wardrobe with double door, one side for hanging clothes, on the other side 3 shelves. Needless to say that we could not unpack all luggage and left two suitcases on the folding stands. The bathroom was fine.

Breakfast turned out as many of the negative comments on this site describe. Long wait, inexperienced staff, wrong food served etc. - a new Food and Beverage Manager seems to have started later on during our stay and the offer at buffet improved significantly. What was apparent was lack of leadership in combination with very inexperienced staff. The other part seemed to be poor coordination between kitchen and waiters. If the hotel is interested in more details they can contact me. In the meantime I learned from my daughter that breakfast has changed to buffet style.

After three days I fell ill with a cold (no covid). After my coughing became worse, we went to the front desk and asked about a doctor (it was a Saturday) just to be told to call 111 or go to Boots because the hotel did not have a doctor available. At the end we did not do anything and luckily, my health improved gradually.
But then our daughter got sick. She did not join me at breakfast any longer and - after having had breakfast together with me for 6 days she had to stay in bed. None of the staff inquired about the whereabouts of my daughter, i.e. showed any interest at all why I was coming to breakfast alone.
Unfortunately, after three days, she tested positive for covid and needed to stay in bed because she was of very poor health.

Carmen, head of housekeeping, and her team did a fantastic job – very much appreciated! - bringing new towels, water etc. to the room door and me handing out garbage, used towels etc. because - logically - housekeeping should not enter a guest room when there is a guest infected with covid. Carmen inquired on a daily basis on a personal or whats-app basis regarding our daughters’ health, she even brought paracetamol and was very, very caring, worth a million!

Interestingly enough, the person who ultimately gave us the reservation offer, who was stating to be looking so much forward to meeting me and our daughter and to making our stay an unforgettable experience, never even contacted us, let alone inquired about the health of our daughter. In fact, nobody, except for Carmen and her team seemed to have any notion of our staying in the hotel.

Once my departure was getting closer, I took contact with Gaurav Varma, Front of House Manager, who was very caring and understanding when I mentioned that our daughter could not stay alone in the UK as she was still in very poor health.

Thank you Carmen and Gaurav for your very kind help and your inquiries after our return home!

Date of stay: March 2022
Philip Lewis, General Manager at The Randolph Hotel, by Graduate Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2022

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. I note your comments about the service and quality and agree that we have some work to do to get the service where it needs to be. The well documented challenges the industry is facing with recruitment have not passed us by, but I don’t want to use this as an excuse and with the right training the team members we do have can perform to a higher standard. I appreciate you mentioning the housekeeping department who all work very hard to delivery the required service.

Reviewed 16 May 2022

A beautiful hotel that is as much a part of Oxfords history as its University and colleges. It is perfectly located near all the city sights and close to where many walking tours start. The rooms, breakfast and overall facilities are excellent. This is an historic building so do not expect lots of chrome, glitz and glass, instead it is refined, quiet and understated class as befits its history. The staff are professional, attentive and very friendly. We had a fabulous stay.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Philip Lewis, General Manager at The Randolph Hotel, by Graduate Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2022

I was delighted to read your review, thank you so much for your kind comments. Reviews like yours really give the team a lift. Thanks so much again for your time and please come and see us again soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2022 via mobile

We popped into the hotel after a two hour walking tour and were refreshed by the excellent tea and scones, and warm friendly service from the staff.

The hotel has beautifully decorated premises and we would love to stay here if we get a chance too.

Date of stay: May 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review. I was delighted to read of your experience and was pleased to hear that my team were able to deliver warm and sincere hospitality, the head chef Chris was especially pleased you enjoyed the scones. We make these fresh every morning. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2022

We spent a few days in Oxford after our wedding which was unfortunately soured due to our experience at the Randolph hotel.
Initially we were given a room with an adjoining door where every word from the couple next door could be heard, When we requested a room without an adjoining door we were given a downgraded room (initial room had a shower and bath and the new room had no bath). When prompted by the hotel staff for feedback at dinner we expressed our disappointment with the room situation. We were then promised an upgraded room for our second night and told to pick up the card from reception.
Due to poor communication between the staff reception had no idea what was going on when we went to pick up the card to the new room. We were then told there was no upgraded room for us and shown to an alternative room which was exactly the same as the room we were already in and so we stayed put.
We had pre paid for breakfast for our stay which in hindsight was a huge mistake. The quality of the breakfast overall was terrible. We tried the hot buffet on the first day which was very poor. Due to this we tried the cooked option the next day hoping it would be better unfortunately it was somehow even worse. We only had 1-2 bites and left the hotel and had breakfast elsewhere.

Date of stay: May 2022

Many thanks for bringing these points to my attention, without emails such as yours we are unable to make necessary changes and improvements. I’m deeply sorry that your hotel experience did not live up to expectations and the team and I are sorry we let you down. I have raised your concerns regarding breakfast with the food and beverage manager and together we will work hard to improve the offering. We certainly have had our fair share of challenges as we open this beautiful old hotel, but I am pleased to say that with each passing week we are seeing some improvements. I hope these isolated incidents don’t prevent you from returning.

Reviewed 12 May 2022

I reserved one night and would stay again if in Oxford. It's a lovely hotel and very conveniently located. The staff is friendly and helpful and honest. I left a jewelry purse and it was found and handed in as lost. The hotel tried to contact me by email, but I did not see the email until after I realized (a few days later) that I must have left it in my room when I was packing. My guide was able to pick it up for me thru the tour company representative and get it to me. It warms the heart to know there are honest people who serve the public.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear guest, thank you so much for this terrific review. I really appreciate the time you have taken to write about your experience. This means a lot to me and my team and spurs us on to do even better next time. I was especially pleased to read about the teams honest and integrity. Thanks for the recommendation. Best regards.