“So good!”

Ranked #21 of 965 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$13 - US$27
Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: At Corner Grill House, you’re invited to stop in and enjoy some of York’s best burgers and grills in an environment that’s stylish and cosy. Chef Radek Bak ensures that the very best ingredients are used in every dish, sourcing vegetables from regional farms and using seasonal produce whenever possible. Located close to Coppergate Shopping Centre on Walmgate in the city centre, Corner Grill House is an ideal meeting point for locals from all over town. Be sure to try one of their amazing burgers, or go for a hearty British main course like the juicy lamb fillet. Just book a table ahead of time to avoid disappointment!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Just eaten there and we had the steak and lamb filet. It was up there with the best we've eaten.
A mention too for the waitress, who was fantastic and very helpful.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed a lovely birthday meal here in a cosy welcoming atmosphere with excellent service from Weronika who was so friendly and attentive.
This restaurant is good value for money and not pretentious. Highly recommend. I was a little underwhelmed by the king prawn starter which was a little bland and lacked any real flavour, however the pate, ribeye and lamb fillet more than compensated. Great choice for a relaxing evening in a York.

Reviewed 20 May 2018

I booked this based on other tripadvisor reviews, and glad I did as the restaurant is very small so don't think we would have got in with no reservation. The food was lovely, and so was the waitress who was very friendly and made sure we were looked after all evening. I'd definitely return if I come back to York.

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

Went here on a Saturday evening we had originally booked for 8pm but decided we wanted to do one of the ghost tours so pushed the table to abit later which they were more then happy to do. We both had 3 course meal with drinks and bill was £70 great price! I had the chorizo starter followed by the duck special and crepe brûlée I loved each of my dishes specially the duck the sauce totally made the dish! My other half had the pate, ribeye and sticky toffee pudding again all were brilliant and the steak cooked perfectly! The service was very quick and friendly a special touch was I went to the toilet (only one) and she quickly cleaned it before I used it which I thought was a great touch. Thanks for a great meal and evening and if we’re back in York will be coming to see you again!

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

We have just vistited this quaint establishment based on the trip advisor reviews - oh dear.
Don't want to come across as negative but the food was a huge let down. We had the steak starter which was a small selection of meats, quite nice. We both ordered surf and turf, one cooked well done with carrots and hand cooked chips and the other medium rare with spinach and hand cooked chips. The order was mixed up so we had to change steaks mid table and my steak, being an eight oz with three already cooked prawns was 50% fat, great if it was a ribeye but it was sirloin so the menu states and was bland, no taste at all.
Sorry but for the price this meal was more than disappointing.

This is my honest review of a meal in an area of York that is packed with restaurants, give it a miss !

Radoslaw B, Owner at Corner Grill House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Hardyboy,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your recent meal in our Restaurant.
I am very sorry and disappointed to learn that we didn’t match your expectations.
When we receive a bad review although very rarely as you probably found out, we read it carefully and take it extremely seriously.
In regard of our food quality, I personally think the 95% of the reviews speak for themselves then of course everything is indeed subjective.

Regarding the Sirloin Steak which you have received… the Sirloin steak has a moderate amount of total fat, and little saturated fat. We cut our stakes to order and I can assure you that we cut 9oz of Sirloin to give the 8oz on the plate.
Our waitress has asked you politely if you would like to swap your steak for something else from the menu, but you declined and continued eating.

I think that your claim that the steak was 50% fat was somewhat overexaggerated as I personally saw your plate after you finished your meal and it was not half of your meat.
Also, we have used the same butcher for 4 years, and since then we have never had a complaint regarding our steaks, especially Sirloin and its fat.

On behalf of myself and rest of the team, we hope you take the opportunity to try us again in the future.
Kind Regards