“Looks tired now”

National Railway Museum
Ranked #1 of 213 things to do in York
More attraction details
Owner description: For a fantastic day out for the whole family in York, visit the award winning National Railway Museum. Get up close to over 300 years of fascinating history in York's only National Museum. Explore our giant halls full of trains and railway legends including the majestic Duchess of Hamilton, step on to the futuristic Japanese Bullet Train or marvel at the stunning opulence of the Royal Trains. Get on board awe-inspiring locomotives, watch our engineers at work in the Workshop, uncover hidden treasures in the Warehouse and make tracks to the outdoor area. The children can let off steam in our outdoor play area, and our miniature railway ride is perfect for the whole family. Every weekend and throughout the school holidays, the kids can enjoy a lively programme of events, including science shows, story telling, steam rides, craft activities and special events. Please note that calls to our listed phone number (0844...) cost 4.25p per minute plus your phone company's access charge.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Firstly the exhibits are first class and a superb representation of railway history in the UK.
However, the location and environment they are displayed in is gloomy, tired and has seen better days. I'm a lifelong rail enthusiast and it was so sad to see such a depressing environment to showcase Britain's rail history.
I've visited the museum a number of times in my lifetime, the last being about 10 years ago. It always seemed an awe inspiring visit, but not this time. I visited May 2018 with my family and this time we couldn't see past the really dark interior with poor electric lighting and little natural light and almost no interaction or education. I appreciate it is in an old North Eastern Railway roundhouse, but some cleaning and modern lighting would help us see the exhibits better. There is also very little information about each exhibit. I think the fact that it is free is probably its downfall as they have little money to make the museum fit for the 21st Century. If you want to see a railway museum that does it all so much better then visit Steam in Swindon. Also, although not trains, the Tank Museum in Dorset is an example of a modern museum that inspires and educates far better than the NRM, while introducing more interaction for the visitor. I doubt I'd return to the NRM while it is in its current state. If you're in York for other reasons it's worth a quick look but I wouldn't recommend a visit just for this.

1  Thank IDACheshire
Write a ReviewReviews (15,293)
All reviews
"great place to visit"
in 321 reviews

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Brilliant half day at the museum. So much to see and do. Very good value lovely knowledgeable staff XX

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Loved it! First time I've been in years but it didn't disappoint. Still awe inspiring engines, and some fantastic pieces of history. The donation of £5 is perfectly reasonable, but the museum is free if you don't have change which is nice because I could come back day after day!

There's also a good spot on a balcony overlooking York Station where you can get a good view of incoming and outgoing trains.

A good way to spend a few hours, would highly recommend you make it a part of your York visit. There's a shuttle from York minster for 3 quid or it's about 20 mins walk.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We visited this Railway Museum in early May 2018. Its within walking distance of downtown York. There was no admission fee but donations are welcome. We spent the entire afternoon seeing the exhibits, the different locomotives, carriages and model railway. Even saw them turn a locomotive on the turn table. There are also specific talks given through out the day. There is lots of history to see for anybody interested in railways. I am a bit of a railway nut so I was in my glory. The volunteers were great and answered most of my questions (except for a real technical one that the volunteer had never thought about before) There are food facilities on site as well. I highly recommend this museum.