“Interesting food”

Lao Cafe
Ranked #4,280 of 24,548 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$33 - US$40
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: London's first Laotian restaurant.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I was stumble upon this little cafe and thought - Lao food? I have it a go.

I looked at some pictures of what people had but still couldn't make up my mind. But actually they had a special menu that was for one person so it helped me to pin down to two choices. They recommended me to have this one (see pic) instead because this was less spicy. Oh boy, she was so right about it.

Loved the papaya salad even though it was a challenge to eat it. The sauce that went with the chicken was also spicy but was not too bad by comparison. The sticky rice was nice.

Would go there again to try something else, especially if someone else could go with me.

Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

A place to go in central London for Lao/Thai Isan food. Papaya salad is spot on. Om soup is also nice. Their small grilled chicken is just mediocre though.

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

The vibe is nicely funky: backpacker-café-meets-urban-chic.
We went there because a Thai friend suggested it! Lots of Asian clients, always a good sign . Food is fresh, original : cook with grandma recipes.
Make sure you book if you are a group of 6.
Try the papaya salad or the makhuer yao, a terrific sweet-sour-spicy salad with chargrilled aubergine.
Ice coffe and milk delicious

1  Thank LaraE14
Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

We were here 20 mins ago, asked for a table for 2 and a buggy but was turned away although there were still availabe tables. Apparently, they have a policy that a table for 4 should only be given to a group of 4 diners. Unfortunately, we couldn't fold the buggy because our baby was asleep so I asked if we could take one of the tables and will just order for 3 people but to no avail. What puzzled me however was that they were willing to give us a table for 4 if we fold the buggy. Also, i saw the one of the tables for 4 with just 2 customers and shopping bags. So, I wish they will be more accommodating with customers with a buggy.

3  Thank juandelacruziphone5
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Found by chance walking around Covent gardens trying to find something authentic and not touristy and gimmicky,
Small plain little cafe, on walking in, immediately made us think back to our time in Thailand.
Selling Thai / Lao food which was actually like their food, which is generally impossible to find.

Great taste and very fresh. Really good value for money. Struggled to finish but couldn’t leave any behind.
Rice, minced pork, basil and a fried egg. Perfect Thai lunch! £25 for 2 lunches and a soft drink each.

2  Thank helen f

Been to Lao Cafe? Share your experiences!