“Lovely Meal”

Dishoom Carnaby
Ranked #336 of 25,029 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Neighbourhood: Soho
Description: The original Bombay cafes have almost all disappeared. Their faded elegance welcomed all: rich businessmen, sweaty taxi-wallas and courting couples. Fans turned slowly. Bentwood chairs were reflected in stained mirrors, next to sepia family portraits. Students had breakfast. Families dined. Lawyers read briefs. Writers found their characters. Opened early last century by Zoroastrian immigrants from Iran, there were almost four hundred cafes at their peak in the 1960s. Now, fewer than thirty remain. Their loss is much mourned by Bombayites.
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Experience was excellent. Service as usual was second to none and food outstanding. Have been before and would definitely go back

1  Thank barryapower
Write a ReviewReviews (1,812)

Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

I had a lovely non alcoholic cocktail at the bar. The bar tender was knowledgeable , and told me all about the Indian cocktails.

The cocktail was passion fruit juice, lime, muddled with ice and coriander leaves and topped soda.

The bar tender said he had been working for the company for 2 years. He said he enjoyed his job.

1  Thank Priya P
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We came here after I’d eaten at the shoreditch outlet a few weeks before and really enjoyed it. We ate at 5.30pm but it was still quite busy then and not easy to get a d cent table. We ended up being sat out back in the garden room - which is fine in itself - but I was right next to the till and cleaning cupboard which wasn’t great.

They have the same menu except for each branch’s chef’s special. The okra fries are awesome, and consistently good, as is the house black daal.

We both really enjoyed the calamari and sheekh kebab.

The service was very good from all of the staff. We were made to feel very welcome and weren’t hurried. The water was kept topped-up.

£100 for two of us including bottle of wine and few beers. We were nicely full.

Looking forward to returning.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

This was the second time I'd been to Dishoom, having visited the Covent Garden restaurant a few months back. I had an equally great experience this time round, the food was excellent and so was the service, 10/10!

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

Booked a table for breakfast on a Saturday morning the night before so only 9 o clock reservations were available, thought this may be a regret having to travel from the hotel and getting up early just for breakfast. However they went above and beyond, it was my friends birthday and they gave us a choice of lovely tables. The breakfast was amazing, great authentic flavours, alongside the personal and attentive customer service from all the staff it just made it perfect. The chai is a must, with unlimited refills and they even surprised us with a birthday desert before we left which I didn’t ask for.. a must for anyone visiting London, needs to be branched over to Manchester! Thank you to all the staff such a lovely time for my friend!