“Fun but a tad disappointing”

Mad Hatters Tea at Sanderson
Reserve with OpenTable
Mad Hatters Tea at Sanderson is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,788 of 24,829 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$51 - US$89
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Sanderson invites you to tumble down the rabbit hole and discover a tea party beyond your wildest imagination, inspired by the whimsical world of Alice in Wonderland. With menus hidden inside vintage books and teapots adorned with kings and queens, our Mad Hatters Afternoon Tea is full of sweet treats and savoury delights to tantalise your taste buds. From Smoked Salmon Scotch Quails Egg and melt-in-your-mouth Ham and Parmesan Croque-Monsieur to the Queen of Hearts Rose and Strawberry Jammy Dodger, complete with the Mad March Hare Vanilla Pocket Watch Macaroon, there’s no excuse not to be late for this important date. Wash everything down with Alice’s Exotic Fruits “Drink Me” potion and a glass of Laurent-Perrier Champagne for good measure. And for the afternoon tea traditionalists, finish up with warm scones, clotted cream and fruit preserve, perfectly paired with Alice-inspired tea infusions.
Reviewed 2 May 2018

I bought my children and some family to this in March. I had read some great reviews and mostly everything was good.

The staff were somewhat standoffish and the service was really slow despite there being relatively few people there.

I am aware the the children are not charged and when I asked for more cakes for two extremely hungry toddlers I was told that only savouries were replenished not to mention the very rude stare I was met with.

The savouries arrived literally as we were planning to leave.

The food was great but the service was less than mediocre.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Write a ReviewReviews (2,323)

Reviewed 2 May 2018

Great staff and atmosphere but the quality of food not exceptional and jars of jam had dirty lids. Our table was near the door so constant staff and people walking past us.

Reviewed 2 May 2018

This was a lovely tea. Our waiter was very attentive and the food was excellent. The little touches were perfect. From the potion bottle tea samples to the menu in a book, this was whimsical and fun and the children loved it. The gluten free options were plentiful and flavorful. There was even a gluten free roll for the crab salad which is unusual. The only thing I would change is the caviar that was included in a tea targeted towards children. The pricing is quite high but so is the quality. Slightly lower price would make this a 5!

Reviewed 2 May 2018

I went on Easter everything was amazing. Atmosphere was awesome, treats were delicious and the tea was incredible. Next time I go to England I'm going back.

Reviewed 2 May 2018

I've been to the Mad Hatters Afternoon Tea before and really enjoyed my experience back then - which is why I decided to return during my recent London trip. Sadly, changes aren't always for the best. :(
I was welcomed very friendly and was seated quickly. The female staff member that explained everything to me was also very lovely and until this point I felt very welcome. But from there it went downwards. My tea arrived way after I had received the food and only after I asked for it again. But once I had it, I wasn't very sad it had arrived this late anymore. Since my last visit the teas that are offered were changed and while I really enjoyed amazing teas with great flavours, this new one was quite bland and tasteless.
The food was okay but nothing special and also the presentation was less impressive than the last time.
Also the other staff members that were buzzing around weren't very attentive. At no point was I asked if everything was alright or if I would need anything.
I still love the idea and the theme, but all in all, I'll probably not return for a third time and might give something else a chance next time.

Been to Mad Hatters Tea at Sanderson? Share your experiences!