“Fun but a tad disappointing”

Mad Hatters Tea at Sanderson
Reserve with OpenTable
Mad Hatters Tea at Sanderson is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,595 of 24,408 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$54 - US$94
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Sanderson invites you to tumble down the rabbit hole for the 150th anniversary of Alice in Wonderland and enjoy all the splendour of a Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea. Discover menus hidden inside vintage books, teapots adorned with kings and queens, sandwich plates decorated with birdcages, carousels and ticking clocks upon which rest savoury, specialty sandwiches. Classic Cucumber, Goat Cheese Croque-Monsieur, White Crab Eclairs are all created for guests with specially selected ingredients to delight the senses. The ending is as divine as the start. Choice is unending, but a few hints follow forthwith... Scones are sinful, the red velvet Ladybird Cake inspires tears of culinary joy, and time stops when tasting our chocolate-coated, coffee-flavoured Pocket-Watch Macaroons. The star attraction, however, is our collection of Sanderson-Exclusive Teas. In celebration of the sesquicentennial anniversary of Lewis Carroll's classic novel, Sanderson is simply giddy to introduce 5 new, tailor-made teas inspired by the characters of this beloved story. "Alice" has transformed into China Black Tea infused with hints of blackcurrant, vanilla, caramel, citrus, bergamot, blue cornflowers and blue mallow flowers. These are now available to purchase at £12-15 each. The Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea at Sanderson will continue to evolve, with elements and flavours changing seasonally. Tea is served daily and is priced between £48 and £65 per person excluding service, £35 per child for children 4-11 years old. On Valentine's weekend, Mother's Day weekend and other special holiday weekends, Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea is priced from £58 per person for special packages.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I bought my children and some family to this in March. I had read some great reviews and mostly everything was good.

The staff were somewhat standoffish and the service was really slow despite there being relatively few people there.

I am aware the the children are not charged and when I asked for more cakes for two extremely hungry toddlers I was told that only savouries were replenished not to mention the very rude stare I was met with.

The savouries arrived literally as we were planning to leave.

The food was great but the service was less than mediocre.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Write a ReviewReviews (2,288)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Great staff and atmosphere but the quality of food not exceptional and jars of jam had dirty lids. Our table was near the door so constant staff and people walking past us.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was a lovely tea. Our waiter was very attentive and the food was excellent. The little touches were perfect. From the potion bottle tea samples to the menu in a book, this was whimsical and fun and the children loved it. The gluten free options were plentiful and flavorful. There was even a gluten free roll for the crab salad which is unusual. The only thing I would change is the caviar that was included in a tea targeted towards children. The pricing is quite high but so is the quality. Slightly lower price would make this a 5!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I went on Easter everything was amazing. Atmosphere was awesome, treats were delicious and the tea was incredible. Next time I go to England I'm going back.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I've been to the Mad Hatters Afternoon Tea before and really enjoyed my experience back then - which is why I decided to return during my recent London trip. Sadly, changes aren't always for the best. :(
I was welcomed very friendly and was seated quickly. The female staff member that explained everything to me was also very lovely and until this point I felt very welcome. But from there it went downwards. My tea arrived way after I had received the food and only after I asked for it again. But once I had it, I wasn't very sad it had arrived this late anymore. Since my last visit the teas that are offered were changed and while I really enjoyed amazing teas with great flavours, this new one was quite bland and tasteless.
The food was okay but nothing special and also the presentation was less impressive than the last time.
Also the other staff members that were buzzing around weren't very attentive. At no point was I asked if everything was alright or if I would need anything.
I still love the idea and the theme, but all in all, I'll probably not return for a third time and might give something else a chance next time.