“Good food”

Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southbank
Description: Built from 8 recycled shipping containers arranged on 2 overhanging levels on London's Southbank, this is a unique venue with great views of the river Thames serving Wahaca's award winning Mexican street food. Join us in the bar for the best and freshest margaritas and guacamole this side of Mexico before moving to the restaurant for a culinary feast of authentic Mexican street food. Visit our website to book a table or just pop in at your convenience, we always keep a section of the restaurant unreserved for you to do just that.
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Enjoyed my visit. Food + drink was good. Place was very different as made of shipping containers.
Got loads of diff food and enjoyed it all

Write a ReviewReviews (1,333)

Reviewed 29 May 2018

Dined there on Monday 28th May 2018 - with my family. We ordered the Quesadilla's, Chicken Wings and Chicken/Avocado Tacos, and the Grilled Chicked Meal for our daughter. Drinks, we ordered one cocktail and one mocktail. Lots of items missing from the food and drinks menu, so choice was limited

Chicken/Avocado - was ok, nothing special, and serving 3 portions - wtf is that all about, when there are 2 adults? Do restaurants who operate this senseless serving want to see diners fight over the 3rd piece?

Quesidilla's - were ok, again nothing special

Chicken Wings - they never arrived, they just sat there at the serving hatch waiting for someone to take the initiative them. When we finally got our waitressess attention, we told her we were waiting for our dish still, when they did arrive they were cold.

Now this is the real bug bear for me - the Childrens Menu. Shocking and quite frankly disappointing. We ordered the Grilled Chicken Meal, which when turned up our daughter refused to it, and she is no fussy eater. The chicken was not grilled, as stated, but was boiled, the whole meal look very unappetising and limp.

We made our views known to the waitress who deducted the childs meal from the bill, but nevertheless a very disappointing experience, especially from one of the pioneers of the street food scene.

The place lacked ambience, it lacked any energy or interest, its like its sitting on a busy thoroughfare, people will come irrespective and lets forget about the dining experience. There is clearly a disconnect from the kitchen to the front of house and that clearly shows.

In addition to our own experience, heavy items fell from the above tables, and just barely missed hitting a diner on the head. Food being delivered on multiple occassions to the same diners, who did not order them. It was comical to see, to the point where the waiter gave up and after it being suggested to him, the 2 unlucky guys got it as a free takeaway.

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

I've already decided that Wahaca is on the shortlist for dining out options when I next visit London but I'm not sure about returning to this one on the Southbank

I love the concept of Wahaca, the small plates, the tasty dishes and the variety but one size doesnt fit all i.e. not everyone wants the loud music and fast paced environment you get when you eat here.

My past two experiences of eating at Wahaca have been that the food has been great but the service disappointing.

When our drinks arrived, one beer was missing and it took a good 5 mins or more for it to arrive. Also it wasnt very cold. (and I almost asked to send it back)

Although we ordered starters, the waiter said he would bring our dishes as they were ready which was fine but not when the dishes are dumped on your table and the waiter runs away before making sure the dish is with the person who ordered it.

One dish didnt turn up at all, the waiter said it was missing from his chit so he would get it made quickly. This dish appeared on our bill as well as the missing dish but was removed without quibble.

I get the feeling that staff are given too many tables to look after which means they lack the time and care to look after guests.

This isn't a Michelin starred restaurant so one doesnt expect the waiting staff to fall over backwards for the dining guests, it would just be nice to feel welcomed and appreciated rather than a dining guest on a conveyer belt to be moved along as quickly as possible.

Service charge was also automatically added to our bill as there were five of us. We left this on our bill as we were mindful that the staff work hard and do rely on tips.

So in summary, great food once again but service still lacking.

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

Was looking forward to visiting wahaca after the review stating it was great for families. Not our experience unfortunately. Waiter was lovely but the children’s meals arrived 15 minutes after the adults. Appreciate it was a busy Sunday afternoon but it was a bit of a stressful environment with everyone rushing around. Won’t rush back.

Reviewed 25 May 2018

I have been to many Wahaca but this one is definitely my favourite! The location is perfect: I really love dining on the first floor because of the lovely river view.
Last time I have been here with a friend coming over to visit me and I decided to bring her here as she loves mexican food, and she wasn't disappointed!
We have been served by Ania, very professional and friendly, she helped us choosing our orders!
Just something that could be improved is the bar: while we were waiting for the table we noticed most of the tables were dirty,even if they were free.

Overall this is a really nice Wahaca restaurant.