2,255 results
All reviewshyde parkqueensway tube stationcentral lineconvenience storealbert hallnotting hillbus stopfirst floorjunior suitestandard roommarble archstayed for two nightsexcellent locationbreakfast was excellentan upgradesmall roomfew minutes walk
Reviewed 30 May 2018

My wife and I booked a room in the Thistle Hotel, Kensington Gardens for several days beginning the evening of May 9, 2018. When we checked in the clerk on duty at the desk told us that we might want to move to a different room the next day. That night we found out what he meant. The air conditioning system made random noises (growling as though the gears were being stripped) throughout the night.

The next day we request a different room. We were moved and decided we had better test the AC. It did not work at all, necessitated yet another call to the front desk and yet a move to a third room. FINALLY the third move proved the charm and all the systems worked. We were told the reason the AC didn’t work was not working was that they were changing from the winter system to the summer one. This is no excuse.

After all the problems with our room they announced that they would not charge us for one breakfast. This is the least they could have done.

In spite of the kindness and helpfulness of the staff I feel there is no excuse for the hotel heating and cooling systems not being in order. I would not recommend the Thistle Hotel Kensington Gardens.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
KensingtonGardens, Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Dear John R,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. We were pleased you enjoyed the room and breakfast but we were sorry to read that you had a problem with the cooling in your room and consequently had to move to a different room which was fully functional.

All our rooms are checked for cleanliness and functionality and a problem occurred after the check with one of the units which affecting some of the rooms. The problem has now been fixed and the unit is fully functional again.

We do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon again.

Reviewed 27 May 2018

With reviews I mark hard but fair and on this occasion in all honesty I can't recall coming across a better-run hotel. The reception staff were welcoming, and the room, while on the smaller side, was clean and well-furnished. TV reception was just OK but that seems to be a unifying thing across all medium and large hotels I've ever stayed in and to be honest was not an issue as there was good wi-fi throughout most of the hotel.

A particular highlight was the welcoming restaurant staff, especially Dorina who was incredibly throughtful throughout my 3-day stay and who should be commened for her top-notch customer service skills, even at the end of a long-ish shift or two! One example of this was when Dorina offered to set a table I'd preferred the previous two nights (it had a really good wi-fi signal) however which on arrival, was initially already occupied on my third night. A kind gesture most appreciated by a stranger a fair way from home....and she'd remembered why I'd liked that particular table.

Other unexpected surprises were the prices in the Waitrose shop set outside at ground level (don't let the adjoining fuel station outside put you off - it does not affect the hotel in any way and in fact its ATM proved very handy), however the best had to be the white wine selection (far better than I would have expected from a Thistle hotel) and the simply terrific and unbelievable value-for-money 5oz steak. I expected something tiny and a bit fatty however what came out was a brick of meat, cooked to perfection and not a sniff of fat or gristle - a bargain. The meals I had the preceding two nights were equally delicious - chef and his/her team are to be congratulated.

Well done all and (with apologies to the Thistle, Kensington Gardens), may you all go on to bigger and better things.

Room Tip: For a pin-drop quiet room, ask for one at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Steve_SN
KensingtonGardens, Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2018

Dear Steve_SN,

I was delighted to read your nice and detailed review. We were pleased you had an amazing stay and the team has made the difference for you. I will pass on your kind words to the reception, Dorina and the team.
We were pleased you visited the brasserie restaurant and thank you for your compliments to the food and service you received. We recently changed our menu which is more popular.
We hope you will visit London very soon and we can accommodate you again at the Thistle Kensington Gardens.

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

This was an overnight family stay 2 rooms 3 children. The hotel is small and in a great location next to Hyde Park. Great transport links if needed but only a minute from the park itself. Lovely rooms compact but everything you need for your stay. Breakfast was outstanding and the hoteal staff were brilliant..all very helpful especially Dante on reception. Would be a first choice for a London break.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank JulieNorthYorks

Dear JulieNorthYorks,

Thank you for your nice review and we are pleased you had a great stay with your family. We were thrilled Dante and the team made your stay more enjoyable and we will pass on your kind comments to the team.
We hope your next stay with us will be soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2018

i just don't understand it .... a convenient hotel, quite boutiquey in style, great service ...but truly, truly appalling breakfast - and not a one off - I must have stayed here over a dozen times - never the same staff, and lots of promises made over the years to do better - I'd stopped having breakfast and eaten nearby - but quite often its included. The last time I stayed the bacon yet again was grey fatty and dismal looking, sausages pink and under cooked. I saw a sign saying pancakes were on offer which I was delighted about. I ordered them with lemon....(full of hope...) when they arrived they were microwaved and from a packet ... literally like rubber and the lemon a small slice - no use for squeezing over - its so depressing that you can get this so wrong - and so embarrassing that our overseas visitors think that this is how we eat ....and we think its OK - PANCAKES for heavens sake - flour eggs milk water..... its not hard....unsure I can stay here again convenient or not - its time for something new - as by staying again I'm condoning something truly appalling and that's slap dash catering which is really no more than packet opening. Very sad as this hotel promotes dining in .... if you can't make a pancake, why would I ever eat an evening meal here when with a little bit of research there are so many interesting and unusual places to eat in London..... very short sighted, very disappointing and very depressing

Room Tip: high up for best views - unless free breakfast - don't pay a penny....
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family

Dear Fiona B,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are sorry to hear the breakfast was not to your full satisfaction.
We will speak to our head chef to see how we can improve the taste of the pancakes.
We hope your next stay with us will be soon.

Reviewed 25 May 2018

I use the Thistle Hotel when I am staying in London, the service is always very good, especially the receptionists, Dante is particularly helpful. I like the fact the hotel is opposite Hyde Park and within walking distance of 2 train stations. The food is not brilliant but the staff and first class service tend to make up for this .

Room Tip: I always ask for a room with a bath 6th floor is good
Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank donna h
KensingtonGardens, Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2018

Dear donna h,

Thank you for your nice review and thank you for staying again. We are pleased we made your recent stay enjoyable again but do let me know when you are staying again as I would love to see you more happy about the food we offer.

We are delighted that we are in the right location for your needs, opposite the park but still in walking distance to public transport like but, tube and the train stations.

We hope we can welcome you back very soon again.

Many thanks,