“Dr. Barrios”

The Gainsborough Hotel
Ranked #809 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

The hotel is well located and has a good entrance. However, I booked online and they never sent confirmation. I called to confirm they has received my payment and they said yes. When I arrived they gave me a different room from the one I booked (a twin double bed) so I was forced to share bed with a colleague. I needed to pay again for breakfast because they said I had not paid for it. I asked for my receipt and they say they couldn't give me one for security reasons...i am the client!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 November 2017

We have stayed twice at the Gainsborough. Considering the location and price I'd say it's an excellent deal. I'll likely stay there again in the future. The staff - Nuric, Davor, Marco especially - were very friendly and helpful. We had an issue with the bathroom when we first arrived, and rather than ask us to be patient and wait for a plumber they moved us immediately to another (and for us a preferable) room. I like the proximity to the South Kensington tube stop and the museums in the area. The breakfast is minimal, but there are more than enough local restaurants to eat at to make that a trivial issue. The rooms are comfortable, though we did have the experience of being next to the noisy lift the first time. Internet is adequate, though a little slow. Could just be where we were located.

Room Tip: Avoid basement and being next to the lifty
Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

I rely like the englisc style of this hotel. Very god central posiscion in london. Ho mangiato very god anche se the cibo italiano is better. Thank to the staff for avermi helped with my bagagli. Arrivederci e grazie!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2017

I would like to thank Marco, Davor, Nuria, Nadia and the nice people in the breakfast room for the great care they took of me and my husband! They were extremely kind and helpful. They guided us and answered all our questions! It helped us to see nice places we would not else have seen!:) The rooms are small, and they more or less need refurbishment, therefore this hotel is not expensive, and the location is top!
We look forward to see these nice people again! Thank you once again!
Kind regards
Jan Morken & Jytte Toft Nielsen

Stayed: November 2017
Reviewed 16 November 2017

This hotel does have positives. It is a sensible price for the area, the Natural History museum and Science museum are on your doorstep and the reception staff were really friendly and helpful.
However, there were definite negatives. Firstly the room was very dated (so dated the decor is borderline back in fashion) with some bodged repairs, I can live with that for a budget price. I picked up a hygiene wrapped glass next to the tap and proceeded to drink a couple of glasses of tap water. Once my thirst was quenched I saw a tiny sticker below the shelf saying 'not drinking water.' I stay away a lot and this is the first time in the UK I've seen this (no need to worry, I wasn't ill after). Surely if you are saying it's not safe to drink then ideally provide a bottle of water and certainly don't put glasses right next to the taps! For these reasons I would've given 3 stars but I was put in a room next to the lift, the wall next to my bed was literally the lift shaft wall. Considering the lift is about as old as London it takes an age to travel up the few floors and sounds like it hasn't been oiled since the day it was installed. Therefore sleep was not an option, not ideal when I only spent about 9 hours in the room in total.

Room Tip: Avoid a room that is directly next to the lift
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business