See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the Gainsborough Hotel over the weekend and I have to say the location is great, the premises are kept clean and are well equipped. What I think stands out the most is the friendliness of the staff, it was always a great pleasure to see and speak to Nuria at the reception, she shined with positivity!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed my 4 night stay at The Gainsborough! It was a bit tricky to find as it doesn’t have the typical hotel look, but is part of a block of row houses. The room was absolutely adequate with a very comfy bed and good linens. The breakfast buffet was good, staff were consistently helpful, particularly Nadia who worked at the front desk during the day. The location was excellent with easy access to the tube, trains and the hop on hop off bus.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

Last night I stayed at The Gainsborough and am staying tonight too. It's in a very pleasant locale
Close to shops bars and cafes. The decor is faded English Grandeur with quite a few reproductions of landed gentry decorating the walls. There is a small bar in one corner with some pleasant seating,empty most of the time.The bedroom isn't a bad size with a canopy over the bed and very large Georgian windows there is a kettle and coffee and tea packets
But buy your own water because there is none in the hotel.
Now to the nitty gritty......
What is it about London hotels that they give their guests mattresses that are so old the coils of the springs poke through. The receptionist here even told me all the beds are old anyway I got them to bring me another comforter so I slept on that and will again tonight to try and cushion my legs and ribs from the metal.
I did try at one point to lie between the two protruding springs as there was a gap of 18 inches between them but as I'm not a mountain climber I found it difficult to keep my balance on the ledge of my very own matterhorn and woke up with a start each time.
Please London hotels can't you treat your guests with the respect they deserve or maybe the owners should be forced to sleep on their own mattresses.
The staff here are pleasant and courteous but don't expect too comfortable a nights sleep but perhaps you will forget the bruising when you visit the beautiful museums nearby.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2017

We booked a double room for 2 nights. On arrival the receptionist was polite but seemed to struggle . When we got to our room we found we had been given a twin instead. We returned to the reception to basically be told it’s tough and the other rooms are fully booked. After a long debate we were put in a family room. Terrible. It was small.. carpets stained.. broken tiles in the bathroom.. doors on the corridor to other rooms were broken... it’s was dingy... soul destroying.. at nearly 200 pound per nite I would expect a bit more. So that same day my partner booked us into another hotel..the baglioni in Hyde park.. more expensive yes but pure luxury.. one nite in the Gainsborough was enough for anyone

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank womanhead
Reviewed 2 October 2017

Great location close to South Kensington tube station and stone's throw from the museums.
Tasteful and stylish reception area, with a warm welcome.
Room was fine, but could do with a bit of refurbishment. Just felt a bit shabby and grubby - very worn - especially the bathroom which was especially shabby and in need of some TLC. And the vacuum cleaner shouldn't be left in the corridor in my humble opinon!
Can't quite get used to paying £100+ for a fairly basic hotel room for one, but I guess that's London prices for you!
Didn't have the hotel breakfast, but there are plenty of basic well-priced breakfast options around South Kensington tube station.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo