“Great Woman”

Thu, 21/10
20:00
Ranked #764 of 1,857 Quick Bites in London
Price range: US$7 - US$34
Description: The Sportsman is a friendly and welcoming pub, great for all occasions, with great sports viewing - we cater for all requirements. With fantastic offers on food and drink, all day every day
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I would like to greet the beautiful and wonderful Mrs. Monika and wish her a wonderful day and I hope that I will see her again soon⚘

Date of visit: September 2021
Write a reviewReviews (35)

Reviewed 5 July 2021

Have never been here before but Gemma really made the trip lovely and worthwhile, she was attentive and sweet! She ID'd me! Lol so it was a big compliment too!

Date of visit: July 2021
Reviewed 3 December 2020

Sports bar atmosphere specially during big events as champions league games. Very friendly staff.
Chicken wings are finger licking.
The Korean nachos, burgers and chicken katsu are also very tasty

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 8 July 2020

Cheap drink, great atmosphere and the best chicken wings I've ever had in my life.
Been craving them ever since lockdown and can't wait to get back in here for my Friday after work drinks.
Plus 2 for 1 cocktails (long Island ice tea) jugs are lethal for the price great boozer

Date of visit: May 2020
1  Thank L6444UFcolinr
thesportsmanpub, General Manager at The Sportsman, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2020

Hi Colin,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We're happy to hear you find our chicken wings so tasty!! See you again very soon.

- The Sportsman

Reviewed 29 February 2020

As a bartender for over 8 years I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this venue does not clean their beer lines and should be inspected by the health and safety regulators immediately.
After 10 mins waiting to be acknowledged at the bar (sat night and only 2 very slow bartenders serving) they poured me a pint of peroni, by the time I got to my table the head of the pint was gone and the pint was completely flat. Went back up to ask for either a replacement or something else. The manager simply stated ‘it’s just the glass’ - somehow that can effect pints in his world? - and the bartender literally just poured my flat dead pint into another glass. Before I even left the bar it was flat again. Has a clear layer of sediment floating on the top, where yeast has built up in the lines and has not been properly cleaned out. It’s so dangerous to serve pints of this nature!!!!

Honestly, pints are the simplest things to get right. The staff is untrained, uneducated and completely unprofessional. If they worked at my bar I’d have fired them immediately for the language and behavior they displayed to a customer. The venue is filthy, smells like stale pints and is frankly the saddest excuse for a pub I’ve ever seen.

They are running an event for paddy’s day, I urge you to avoid this bar at all costs! That’s no way to spend st. Patrick’s day and I am ashamed to see an Irish flag flying in such a dreadful venue. It WILL give somebody good poisoning eventually... I’ve made a report to the health inspectors. Please stop visiting this pub! The lines aren’t clean (they should be cleaned every week- 2 weeks!) and clearly haven’t been touched in months.

Date of visit: February 2020
thesportsmanpub, General Manager at The Sportsman, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2020

Hi Hannah,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a long review..
Firstly, i’d like to start by informing you of our licensing conditions. When West Ham are at home, we can only serve in plastic cups. Seeing as you visited on Saturday, this is the main reason your beer would appear “flat”. I assure you we do not choose to use plastics. As for the “clear layer of sediment” you saw on your pint.. our lines were cleaned the Thursday before your visit. Which you visited only 2 days later, so it is clean.

Secondly, as for a pub that “smells like stale pints” and is a “sad excuse for a pub”, we were almost at capacity that day, and you seemed to be the only person with an issue. This leads me to think you have visited the wrong venue. Have you ever visited a proper pub before?

Thirdly, our staff are fully trained, and experienced on customer service as we are constantly focused on this. All our other reviews prove this. Take a look if you wish.

We are always ready for EHO visits, as everyday we run our business to exceptional health and safety standards. For the past few years, we have always been granted 5 star ratings for this.

As an experienced bar tender, you will understand each day we face different tasks. During West Ham home games, this is our busiest ever period, and i’d be lying if we say it’s never a struggle.
We hope to have you back soon, maybe not on a home game day, so we can prove this to you.

- The Sportsman Team