“Poor service”
Review of The Sheaf

The Sheaf
Ranked #15,642 of 24,685 Restaurants in London
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Description: A beautiful subterranean bar situated in the vaults of the stunning hop Exchange on Southwark Street. The Sheaf (formerly the Wheatsheaf) is a perfect space for big parties as well as smaller groups who prefer a more quiet corner. Live sport is prominent, with Sky Sports and BT sport available on 6 HD screens. The Sheaf is one of the areas true free-houses with a range of 10 cask ales - 7 of them on almost daily rotation - a good range of premium lagers and craft beers. There are 219 Wheatsheafs in Britain but there is only one Sheaf.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I visited The Sheaf during an England world cup game. Although I respect it was an extremely busy night for the staff, the service was still poor. I was stood at the bar for close to 40 minutes waiting for a drink and was seemingly ignored by staff despite them being aware of me. Following sly remarks from the bar staff, I was finally served (got my order wrong).

After this myself and a couple of friends left and went to a pub in the market quarter to watch the game. Much better atmosphere and didn't have to wait an eternity for a drink.

The only good points I can suggest is that there are plenty of TV screens and I'm sure on a different and less busy night my experience would have been better.

karina b, General Manager at The Sheaf, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your review Daniel, our customer feedback is very important to us. I'm Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at our bar and can assure you that this is not the standard. I'd be happy to discuss this further, in order to get this resolved you can email me at karina@redcarpubs.com. If you feel like giving us a second chance I will ensure you will be looked after properly.

Many thanks

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Bar is lively and fun. The burgers are very good value and very decent. Great that you can book a table - that really helps. Staff are very friendly.

karina b, Manager at The Sheaf, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for your review Tony! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

Great place to visit and a wonderful atmosphere and experience, would definitely visit again the bar is just spectacular

Thanks for the fab review!

Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

I came to this place last night, good ales and their Chicken wings are so tasty!! The staff is friendly and really welcomely, I am Hundred percent coming backkkkk!! Thanks guys for making my night amazing!

Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed 20 May 2018

I went tonight to this establishment. The manager (I think her name was Karina) was absolutely plastered, draping herself all over the customers, I don't have a problem with that but I do when she is in charge of my tab and my money. Basically, I put my card behind the bar and got given a little plastic chit to show whenever it was my order. I only ordered three pints of cider over the evening in all but noticed on the display screen that there were a load of rum+cokes that had appeared under my tab. When I questioned it she said someone in my group must have said that they were tab 32 (my tab) - but no one I knew had had rum + cokes, in fact the only people I could see having rum and cokes were a bunch of likely lads at the bar that Karina had earlier been cavorting on top of. Whether it was a genuine mistake because of her alcohol intake, or whether it was intentional, who knows, but when I pointed it out to her she said "I will only charge you for the three ciders and I'll pay for the other drinks myself" but then went on some kind of accusatory trip saying that I'm lucky because didn't have to do that. She clearly realised she'd screwed up (or been rumbled, if it was intentional) but I didn't like her tone so I said I would like to speak to the manager, she said she was the manager, so I said I would like to speak to someone in authority who was sober. She then turned into a complete monster, saying that I was undermining her authority by suggesting she was drunk (for the record, she was absolutely plastered, embarrasingly so), and even at one point suggested that she was no longer going to serve any of our group of 20 because her authority had been undermined. She was of course having great difficulty in getting these words out, as she was so utterly plastered and her staff were clearly a little shocked and possibly scared of her. In the end I paid for my tab of three ciders in cash (no idea who picked up the bill for the rum+cokes but not my problem). Then, in spite of the fact that the venue has a license until midnight, she decided at 11:50 to close the bar - no "last orders" - and instructed the security to vacate the premises early. Everyone had to drink up and the security were very apologetic but explained they have to do their job as they had had orders, but it was blatantly clear that they did not feel comfortable vacating the bar before the scheduled closing time without warning. So, basically, I don't know who owns this place, it's a lovely pub, but your have a real problem on your hands. I have never in my entire life witnessed such utter loss of control from someone who is meant to be a pub manager, and trust me I have been to a lot of pubs in my time over the past 40-odd years. I will never be setting foot in this establishment again. My only advice is if you see that the manageress is a little worse for wear, do not I repeat NOT think about setting up a tab. You will thank me for this later