“Disappointing”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester offers contemporary French cuisine in the Jouin Manku designed dining-room along with a professional, bespoke and friendly service orchestrated by General Manager Chris Charraudeau and his energetic team. Executive Chef Jean-Philippe Blondet interprets Alain Ducasse's cuisine with a modern and refined approach, consistently championing and enhancing current seasonal produce. Signature dishes include "Sauté gourmand" of lobster, truffled chicken quenelles and homemade pasta; Dry aged beef, artichokes and bone marrow, and the delicate Baba like in 'Monte-Carlo'. A perfect place for a savvy lunch, the restaurant offers a 3-course set menu including wine, water and coffee. Private dining is also a must-try experience with the stunning Table Lumière where guests can create their bespoke dining experience by choosing from specially selected sets of china by Hermès; the spacious Salon Park Lane bathed in natural light and the cosy Salon Privé.
Reviewed 11 June 2022

We have eaten lunch and dinner here several times over the years and always enjoyed a superb meal, but this time it was not worth 1 Michelin star never mind 3. The courgette starter was dull and the teaspoon of caviar stirred into it a waste of caviar. When asked, I told it as it was and was offered the asparagus starter which was a kind thought but I wouldn’t have been able to eat the rest of my dinner. I should have accepted as the lamb main had an unacceptable amount of fat and gristle which left a rather meagre helping of edible meat. The chocolate pudding served in 2 parts was delicious. The lobster starter had to go back as it wasn’t adequately cooked, it had a gelatinous texture. Came back perfectly cooked but the dish as a whole was only “ok” according to my husband, which is particularly disappointing as I ate that dish on our previous visit and it was sublime. The John Dory main was good. At the prices charged every mouthful should be perfect. Even the canapés were dull. Yummy petite fours though and we took what we didn’t eat home.

Date of visit: June 2022
AlainDucasseLondon, General Manager at Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2022

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback following your visit. I am sorry to read about your disappointing experience.
I would like, if you agree, to get in touch with you by phone so that we can exchange further on your recent experience.
Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester

Write a reviewReviews (1,733)

Reviewed 7 June 2022

Been here before 7 yrs ago when I got engaged. Decided to repeat the experience for my 40th Birthday. Previously had an extensive menu but now only 7 dishes (which you can have either have as starter/main/desert or 7 course tasting menu).
Offered a glass of complementary Champagne as they were aware it was my birthday (my wife said it was lovely but all alcohol wasted on me as I don't really drink) which was nice of them. We opted for tasting menu. Waiting staff not coordinated and nearly walking into each other. Other waiting staff appeared to be lost walking around the restaurant carrying trays full of food. One of the waitresses has a particularly nasty habit or cracking her fingers and other joints whilst walking around and even when serving at the table. Some of the waiting staff obviously despise each other (as per body language) and would rather be elsewhere.
Food was nice but not deserving of 3 stars (wonder what the criteria is these days for 3 stars) as our lobster was just warm with tepid chicken quenelles. Other dishes were so-so. Food should be perfect as only 7 dishes to deal with. Drinks obviously 3-4+ times mark up on off-license prices (those that can be bought at offy).
Will go out for a steak next time.

Date of visit: June 2022
AlainDucasseLondon, General Manager at Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2022

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback following your visit. I am sorry to read about your disappointing experience.

Reviewed 22 May 2022

A fantastic experience from start to finish. Some friends and I had the 7 course tasting menu with the paring wines . Fantastic food an£ service, truly a wonderful evening

Date of visit: May 2022
AlainDucasseLondon, General Manager at Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2022

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your very kind feedback.
I am really glad to read that you have enjoyed your experience with us.
I do hope that we will have the chance of welcoming you on a future occasion.
Best regards, Christopher Charraudeau

Reviewed 6 May 2022

Birthday celebration ruined! Staff were professional albeit too fast and production-line style. Food was meagre and fluffed up to sound huge when it was tiny and not great tasting. Wines overpriced and again small amounts despite charging up to £500 extra per person for the pairing. We had to hunt around the tiny mains sauces to find the lamb chop which was even smaller than a 50p coin. Bread was given out sparingly and we had to ask for more - small slice by slice portions. They had extensive works going on and we could not enter at the main door but walk all round the corner in our formal outfits. One couldn't even access the tiny ballroom toilets without being escorted a long way to avoid the dusty works. Definitely over-hyped place - I don't know how they get 5 stars; makes me suspicious! Also it was my birthday and I was astonished to see the very tiny dessert course which everyone was given but mine had a small candle on it! And the well-advertised chef's tour for birthdays never materialised. Thanks for a wonderful birthday celebration -NOT!!

Date of visit: April 2022
AlainDucasseLondon, General Manager at Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2022

Dear Guest,
I am sorry to read about your disappointing experience.

Reviewed 1 May 2022 via mobile

Arrived at agreed time to be greeted by an extremely friendly girl on reception, coats taken and shown to our table from there on in everything was faultless from knowledge by the waiters on every course from where every ingredient was sourced to the cooking process and story behind each dish. We had the 7 course taster menu and every single dish was superb, star of the show being the rack of lamb and the lobster raviolis . We had a bottle of lovely 2014 Barolo which was superb. We would highly recommend a visit as we were very very impressed indeed. Good job Alain ducasse at the dorchester

Date of visit: May 2022

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your very kind feedback.
I am glad to read that you have enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere.
I do hope that we will have the chance of welcoming you on a future occasion.
Best regards,