“Best Railway Experience ”

Great Western Railway (GWR)
Ranked #182 of 300 Transportation in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Great Western Railway provides high speed, commuter, regional and branch line train services. We help over 100 million passengers reach their destinations every year - across South Wales, the West Country, the Cotswolds, and large parts of Southern England.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Best railway experience for us. We had britrail first class passes. The attitude of staffs were good. Very comfortable seats.
Snacks were good too. Totally recommended.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I travel in first class because I have mobility issues and other difficulties. I recently travelled from Plymouth to Paddington. The man serving us at our seats was very rude to both myself and an elderly couple.He deliberately misunderstood what I was asking for and made me feel stupid. He had no patience with the elderly couple . They could not make their mind up quickly enough for him and he was very sharp with them. If he doesn't have any patience he should find another job..

2  Thank wendy w
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I commute daily from Bristol Temple Meads from Cardiff Central. I would estimate that 50% of trains are delayed or cancelled. Of those that do run on time, many are overcrowded and filthy. Fares have increased in the time that I have been commuting, but the quality of the service has decreased markedly.
The new trains are uncomfortable and cold, with harsh lighting and ridiculously and incessantly loud announcements.
To add insult to injury, GWR will only compensate when you are over 60 mins delayed on your journey. There have been many weeks when delays have topped 5 hours, but because each delay is not over 60 minutes they refuse to compensate.
If there was any alternative I would avoid GWR, but unfortunately I am trapped commuting and they have a monopoly.
I am actively searching for a new job because GWR make my commute so stressful, expensive and unpleasant.

2  Thank Conniejsmith
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

On a trip to Cornwall with friends, we decided to maximise our time there by taking the sleeper train. I was initially dubious having not enjoyed sleeper trains in the past, but I was pleasantly surprised.

At Paddington, you can use the first class lounge whilst you wait, and there are tea and coffee, and snacks available. At about 11pm, you can board the sleeper and find your berth. The host, June, was very friendly and helped us to navigate the various features of the cabins. I gather that they have just been refurbished and they were plush. Each room has up to two berths, a shallow wardrobe and a sink. There are plenty of sockets for charging devices.

We then headed to the bar carriage, which is solely for passengers with berths. This had not yet been refurbished but was very comfortable nonetheless. It was a nice way to spend an evening before bed.

The next morning, breakfast was served to the room and there was a choice of tea and coffee, juices, pastries, cereals, porridge or a bacon roll. We pulled into Penzance on time and to a beautiful sunny day.

Did I get any sleep? If I’m honest, I don’t think I did. The bed was really comfortable, but at the end of the day, there is a lot of rolling around as the train moves!

Would I do it again? Definitely - it was such a glamorous experience and I think that it is well worth the price.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I travel everyday from Bristol to Cardiff GWR and I have to say it is one of most terrible train services I’ve ever experienced. Everyday for the last 3 years the train arrives with only 2 carriages at peak time (4pm-6pm) to cater for at least 300 people on the platform waiting.
The majority of the time, people are unable to get on due to the overcrowding. There is no air conditioning and as you can imagine in the summer months it is like a sauna!

To further annoyance I have travelled back from Bristol to Cardiff at lunchtime, only to find a train with more than 3 carriages to service approximately 20 people!!
The constant apologies for train delays or signalling issues has simply run its course.

Shocking service.