“Quirky dessert”

Ranked #264 of 1,988 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Liverpool
Description: Founded by greengrocer Bill Collison, Bill's serves eclectic British dishes made with fresh and seasonal ingredients.

Came here for dinner
We had chicken dumplings to start, I had the sirloin steak special with fries and wild mushroom sauce, my daughter had sea bass with mash, my daughter did the 3 course for I think £16.95 but ended up being charged separately for dessert
I had the bills flowerpot dessert which is a chocolate flowerpot filled with a red berry sauce cheesecake surrounded by chocolate crumbs that look like soil and an edible flower, very photogenic lol
Food was all fine
Service was good, staff very friendly
I found the kitchen staff taking out full rubbish sacks through the restaurant within inches of our table whilst we were eating quite off putting, we were there late but it’s still not acceptable
The toilets really need to be checked through the evening as well as they were soaking wet on the floor and generally quite dirty
Overall ok but not somewhere I’d return to

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (1,563)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Firstly we waited a while before being seen to no menus offered or drinks
Waiter was fine when food arrived some of it was cold but the burgers were very tasty
The big let down for me was the 12.45% service charge wow I am sorry that is my option not yours we did have it taken off
Service charge or tips are up to me when I receive good service

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I'm not a great fan of Bill's restaurants, having had some mediocre meals in one or two of their London restaurants.
However, Liverpool city centre was very busy and they had tables available.

Welcome and service
Very welcoming and friendly and efficient service throughout.

We ate from the lunch set menu and it was perfectly acceptable, albeit uninspired. Their all day and dinner menus will appeal to the younger generation - "they are showy, frilly and cocktaily'.

Ambience
Good, with appropriate social distancing and staff wearing masks.

Toilets
These need a mention since they are problematic. Many people don't realise that these toilets are unisex, until it's too late. They are also not as clean as they should be. There needs to be a large sign on the door stating that the gents and ladies are in the same room or there is a danger that males might leave the cubicle door open. This is Liverpool, not Paris, Brussels or Rome!

Service charge
I was very much aware that a few years ago, Bill's was a culprit of not giving staff their full share of the service charges. A discretionary 12.5% service charge was added to our bill here and I'm informed that Bill has given staff a pay rise (which takes them above the stipulated minimum wage), which is a commendable move.

However, the fact that the service charge is used to fund the staff's pay rise is not so commendable! Thus, we are back to square one, and the staff don't really get the service charge! I wonder if management can respond?

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

So much choice for a meal/dinner out in Liverpool but we decided to go to Bill’s because we had enjoyed a breakfast or two there. It was perfect - service was impeccable, the staff are so attentive but not cloyingly so, our meals were great and the passion fruit spritz was fab-u-lous!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My parents and I were on a trip to Liverpool ( my favourite UK city ) and because my dad is a top chef my parents find it very difficult to eat out because they get better food at home , we saw bill's and my dad being called Bill we thought hey let's go in .
The atmosphere was very inviting and the young lad serving us ( Jack) could not have been better , the meals were wonderful and deserts too .
We would highly recommend bill's and to get a recommendation from us is worth it's weight in gold
Well done to the chef's and staff of bill's for helping to make our visit to the fabulous Liverpool that much better