Van Gogh - The Immersive Experience

urbanp247

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Leicester
from US$18.84
More Info
All reviews virtual reality small exhibition starry night headset tour main body the john lewis car park his life couple of hours well worth a visit vr paintings church video nave biographical movement projector
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 December 2022 via mobile

Van Gogh immersive experience was beyond expectations. Use of technology projected onto the walls in the main body of the church is amazing, and the VR (which you pay £3 extra for) is well worth the money. There is also a very good historical background of Van Gogh's life on boards when you go in.
Wrap up warm - there are heaters and blankets when you sit down - but it is quite cold.
Would thoroughly recommend. It is very easy to get to near the John Lewis car park and only a few minutes walk from the city centre.

1  Thank Hillybilly50
Reviewed 11 December 2022

I found the Van Gogh - The Immersive Experience to be an incredible experience, the virtual reality and drawing sections were very pleasant, and the section regarding the life and times of Van Gogh himself was incredibly informative, especially considering the scale recreation of his room, based on his own paintings. The star of the show, however, was the titular "Immersive Experience" it is best experienced blind in regards to exactly what happens, however the atmosphere is nothing short of enchanting. There are comfortable chairs and rugs to sit on while you just let the sights and sounds roll over you, seeing the paintings and brush strokes of Van Gogh brought to life on a staggering scale. The exhibit is also on a loop and deftly tells the story of his life through which paintings it shows, expertly conveying how his mood and style shifted throughout his life, I sat through the entire exhibit twice and I suggest anyone else should experience the whole thing at least once.
The only reason I did not give the experience a five star review is because I find the way they made some of the paintings move felt forced, as if a painting being stationary is a flaw. From a vase of sunflowers bobbing unnaturally in all directions, robbing them of any real resemblance of their subject matter, to "At eternity's gate" being animated with huge movements and almost infantile stomping feet rather than the resigned, still grief I saw in the painting. I did not dislike these things enough for it to discolour my view of the entire experience, however I could certainly understand a purist balking at those aspects.
Overall it was a wonderful experience, I'm incredibly glad I went and the entire visit, aside from a few hiccups, felt masterfully crafted by people who both understand and love Van Gogh and his work. I thoroughly recommend it.

1  Thank urbanp247
Reviewed 8 December 2022

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Van Gogh immersive experience. The entrance is filled with a very helpful summation of Van Gogh's life. This gives much needed context to the rest of the experience and offers very interesting information ; which if I had not been given may have detracted from the magic of the rest of my time there. In the main hall of the church is a set of projectors which let the true glory of Van Gogh's extensive portfolio of work be on full display. I was taken aback by the sheer number and attention that all the paintings had been given. In particular his work with people was my favorite perhaps because i had not been exposed to his portraits before and obviously due to the beautiful use of color. Then , finally, we came to the VR. This was no doubt the climax of the time, a perfect culmination of the knowledge and observations of Van Gogh's work that we had previously seen. This was a great experience and I would happily go again.

Reviewed 6 December 2022

We visited on a cold Sunday. We all enjoyed the exhibition. The use of technology is breath-taking. I can't comment on the VR experience as we didn't pay extra to do that.

Reviewed 30 October 2022 via mobile

Great combination of art and computing to make the immersive experience. Great way for kids to engage with art. The VR experience costs £3 extra, but it's well worth doing - don't miss that.

Date of experience: October 2022