“Tree Nets brilliant but Brockhole needs some improvements ”

Brockhole on Windermere
Ranked #14 of 37 things to do in Windermere
More attraction details
Owner description: Brockhole on Windermere offers activities to suit everyone, from toddlers to adventure seekers to those in search of an ultra-relaxing experience whilst enjoying their time in the Lake District. It's all here in one place, set against stunning mountain views on the shores of Windermere in the Lake District National Park, Cumbria. From family activities to glorious garden tours and seasonal events, there really is something for all ages. Why not explore 30 acres of beautiful historical gardens and grounds? Or picnic by the lakeshore and enjoy secret beaches with the family? If the children are feeling more adventurous they can swing or bounce through ancient woodland on Treetop Trek and Treetop Nets. Down by the lakeshore, you can hire kayaks and rowing boats, enjoy or catch the cruise boat across the lake, depending on the season. There's also archery, bike hire and mini golf on offer during the season. Don't forget to finish your day by taking in the stunning lake views offering stunning views towards the distant Langdale Pikes at the terrace café, while enjoying local ales and dishes. There's also a well-stocked gift shop and ever changing exhibition space to enjoy indoors.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I took took my boys aged 6 and 3 to do Tree top nets primarily. I would rate this as 4 circles - Lovely staff, particularly when it emerged that when my midday booking couldn’t be found, it appeared that baby brain here had booked for the previous day, not today. The staff simply moved my booking to today but for 30 minutes later, which I was eternally grateful for especially when the next available slots weren’t until 3.30pm. This kind of customer service and understanding is what would make me go back. I do think it is expensive however and there should maybe an option for younger kids. My 6 year old who was full price at £20 had had enough after one hour, the 3 year old after 40 minutes!!!! It was fun though.
Brockhole in general - I think the management should look at the toilet situation by the tree net base and the adventure playground. They’re “upper market” portable toilets, smell quite badly and there’s no running water for the wash basins, only hand sanitizer! I didn’t think this was very hygienic at all. The other toilets by the house were out of order so there were no hand washing facilities anywhere, only in the lake! Bins were overflowing. Slow service in the little cafe by the playground BUT again, very lovely staff when I got served. Could do with some more picnic tables and another parking meter as well to reduce the massive queue to buy tickets.
Adventure playground really good and the grounds very pretty against a spectacular backdrop/setting. Mini golf was a hit.
Could make the day here as cheap or expensive as you like but considering this is supposed to be the Lake District Visitor Centre, I think some improvements could be made.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,030)
All reviews
"high ropes"
"pre book"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Arrived at 11.30. Parked easily and paid car park. The weather was good so this helped as if raining may be less attractive.

Between us we did the Archery (very helpful instructors), Pony trek and the mini trek. All staff seemed genuinely friendly and helpful

We left at 4.30 but a full day probably wouldn't be enough so could quite easily return the next day. Nice quiet views over the lake, large grass areas to play with a ball or just sit and chill. This place can be as expensive as you like, come with a picnic and spend no more than the car park.

We only put 2hrs on the car but I (driver) thought it was 3hrs so 15 mins before expiry said I would go and buy another 3hrs to told we were now over by 45mins. A quick walk to the car expecting a £50 ticket discovered no ticket so would just like to thank Brockhole for not employing aggressive parking policies.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Just been to Brockhole today and had a wonderful day. Tree trecking at 11 , archery at 3 then laser guns at 4. Lunch in the middle at the top cafe. Every single person we dealt with today was superb. Hats off to your recruitment team because you certainly know how to pick them. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Last Sunday was our second visit to Brockhole and won't be our last. We had a fantastic day, in part due to the beautiful weather but also to the fact that the centre wasn't anywhere near as busy as we had anticipated which gave it an air of tranquility that you would never normally get at this sort of attraction.
Parking was plentiful and reasonable at £5.40 for 4 hours and everywhere was clean tidy and well kept including the toilets ( I used the ones in the main house near the shop and cafe). Since our last visit a new adventure playground has been built which kept all 3 of our children, aged 15,10 and 2 busy and was free!
There are loads of other activities on offer from archery and watersports to pony trecking but my boys wanted to go on the treetop nets. These are great fun and if your kids are at the older end, a good way of getting yourself some peace as you can leave them to it and go for a lovely walk in the grounds or a coffee. My only gripe (and this is more constructive criticism than complaint) is that the only option is a 2 hour session at £20 each, which I feel would just be too expensive for a lot of families especially larger families. Also 2 hours is too long for this activity, even the man in the kiosk advised they would probably have had enough after an hour, which turned out about right. I don't understand why they don't offer a 1 hour session for £10 each.
I cant comment on the cafe or restaurant as we took a picnic but we did have a very nice ice cream. On the whole a very good day out.