All reviews vegetarian food vegetarian hotel easedale tarn meat eaters lake district country house dining room four poster bed helm crag open fire peace and quiet beautiful surroundings red squirrels evening meal relaxing break long walk full english
Reviewed 27 June 2018

I have stayed at the Lancrigg several times before and my experiences in previous years have been very satisfactory. Last year the standard slipped somewhat and the breakfasts were not as good as before. The vegetarian breakfasts were always something really special in the past (although I am not a veggie myself!).
This year (2018) however things were far from my previous experience. The breakfasts are less than satisfactory being only a basic English breakfast not well presented. There is not even fruit salad, only cereals and yoghurt. The light bulb was missing from the main light fitting in my room and the light switch was not properly earthed resulting in a tingling sensation. On the second night of my stay when I returned to the hotel at 10.30pm I found that the bed had not been made, the bath and WC had not been cleaned and the wet towels were still in the bath. In other words no-one had serviced the room at all. Then overnight I found that the electric power to the room, and to the corridor outside, had failed. I suspected that the power to all the house had failed but this was subsequently found to have not been the case; it was only my room and the corridor. I reported this to the Spanish waiter but of course he could not do anything. There seems to be a distinct lack of staff this year and the hotel is simply not worth the asking price in June 2018 of £136 per night. It is to be hoped that this establishment raises its standards substantially to that of its previous years.

Stayed: June 2018
2  Thank FM600
Lancrigg, Owner at The Lancrigg, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2018

Dear FM600,

Thanks for the points you have made, and for coupling up with Stuart to both leave poor reviews. We actually do appreciate this as we can get an idea of the changes that some people do not like, but also anything we need to address further.

As I said to Stuart, it must have been upsetting for you not to realise that the business changed hands over 2 years ago. This was very public knowledge and our website shows all of the changes to the hotel and restaurant quite clearly. Perhaps you had not seen this before you booked.

The room that you stayed in has a four-poster bed which hinders the light from the ceiling lights. We therefore made a decision to put in plenty of wall lights and table lamps to be used, as the bed would stop any light from the pendants. They were kept in situ as they are more of a feature. After your stay we had our electrician check the switch and it showed no problem at all. The tingling you felt more to do with static from the new carpet perhaps, certainly not anything to do with earthing.

As I said to your friend Stuart, the general policy in hotels is not to touch peoples personal belongings if they are all over the bed, this leads to complaints as guests do not wish to have strangers touching their bags or clothing. The room is then serviced around this to avoid embarrassment.

The power loss you experienced was due to the problem that we had with an oven which caused delays in the morning. This was checked and rectified with the electrician the next day.

So unfortunately it looks that we will not have you as a guest again, although I wish that was not the case. We don't like to see unhappy guests, but as your experience was tainted by the disappointment of the hotel changing hands there is not much more we can do I'm afraid.

Reviewed 12 June 2018

We visited just has the heavy rain (20 mins ) started . A lovely setting , open country views .Amble car parks & sitting outside .Food been served amble portions . coffee & yummy cake to share . Will pop in again .

Stayed: June 2018
Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

During our trip to Grasmere my cousin booked us the Lancrigg...

As we drove into the place... There was bit of difficulty as the road was very narrow. However the moment we landed there... the view was spectacular and spell bounding.

Had nice tea on the lawns and then checked into Wainwright... Great room nice decor, loved the jacuzzi.

The dinner was nice with a good choice of limited veg and non veg food. The breakfast was just adequate and felt it needed more attention.

The staff seemed new and in less nos... However Anna took great care of everybody... Thanks to her.

Overall a nice quaint and nice place.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

On a previous trip to Grasmere, we stopped into the Lancrigg for post-hike refreshments and decided we would have to stay here on our next trip—which we did! Rooms can be a bit quirky, but were very reasonably priced, and the location simply can’t be beat: there’s a stunning view over the Easedale valley, great trails leading straight from the gardens, and it’s all just a 10-minute walk to the heart of Grasmere. The breakfasts and lunches were also really delicious. The only reason I can’t give it five stars is that the place is simply understaffed—I don’t know if that’s because someone quit right before we showed up, or for some other reason, but there really weren’t enough people to handle the weekend crowd. (It took almost two hours to get our food at dinner, and it was difficult to flag down anyone to help you with getting a key or anything.) I am hoping that as the new management hits their stride, the success of the hotel will let them hire some more people, because then it really will be perfect! And despite a few hiccups, we had such a nice time here that we would happily stay here again regardless. Recommended!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank sarahk1130
Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

Just had a great stay at Lancrigg. Couple of hiccups to start but think there had been a few changes recently. Staff managed to deal with it and I think the weather helped frame this perfect break away. Beautiful property in great location for walks. 10 mins into village stunning views along the way. Food was lovely. Room was ok..but we had a dog so it suited us fine. Staff super friendly. New lady (her 2nd day) & Spanish waiter especially.
Well done all for keeping it going when things felt a bit wobbly

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple