“Used to be Terra Vina...”

Spot in the Woods - Kitchen Cafe
Ranked #12 of 426 Restaurants in New Forest
Price range: US$4 - US$18
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Spot in the Woods kitchen café is at the gateway to the New Forest. Spending time with us will be to feel rested and revived - a homely, social experience, whether you’re local or a visitor. We don't take bookings so simple arrive and enjoy! Retained by Nina and Gerard Basset, Spot in the Woods is located in Woodlands, Netley Marsh. In a peaceful location, we are ideally located close to the main travel routes - easily accessible and a short drive from Lyndhurst, with ample onsite parking (signposted Woodlands). We are dog friendly and the perfect place from which to explore The New Forest. Experience a tasty all day breakfast, lunch, or simply a cup of coffee and one of Moyra's delicious home-made cakes. With Gavin Barnes at the helm in the kitchen, you can grab a tasty light bite with friends, enjoy a drink in the sunshine, with an excellent reputation for vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options.
Reviewed 29 June 2018

...and recently changed hands. Having dined there a number of times under the previous ownership, this was my first experience in it's new format. One initially notices a change of layout as one comes through the entrance for what used to be lounge areas now appears to be display areas for a range of tat? We had booked for lunch and the place was certainly busy but the restaurant was noisy and cramped with very small tables for two persons. At a quick glance the menu was uninteresting and with all the noise from the kitchen and a large table with .screaming children, we decided not to stay; sorry.

NInaBasset, Owner at Spot in the Woods - Kitchen Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2018

Just a few points of clarification. We have not changed hands, the business remains under the ownership of myself and my husband, but as my husband is very seriously ill the concept has changed style. Now we are an informal kitchen cafe and we do not take bookings, so I am not sure why the reviewer has noted that he had booked for lunch as no bookings are taken. We are a busy and family friendly cafe, thus we do welcome children. Our menu is a cafe style menu, serving top quality, locally sourced produce. Sorry to note this reviewer didn’t like the changes we have made; the more simple style better suits our family circumstances at present. There are lots of great places to eat in the forest, so hopefully he found somewhere that was more suited to his taste.

Nina Basset, Owner

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

Following the warm friendly welcome as promised by their website I took a look at their deli and homeware offerings. The whole place smells sensational, if any guests were put off by their dog friendly offerings, don’t be. Myself an animal fanatic I think offering food for furry friends is a stroke of genius. I had the special of Devon crab for my lunch and it was simply gorgeous. Great team, super impressed, thoroughly recommended. Thank you!

1  Thank BellaPortsmouth
Reviewed 17 June 2018

Fab,friendly,professional staff.Caters for all generations & their diet fads.Excellent value,delicious food in beautiful surroundings.
And to top it off you can stock up on cards & pressies on the way out.
Gets better & better everytime we come.
Thank you,my new fav go to place!

1  Thank Louise M
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

We have visited for lunch and dinner ,also stayed and loved all our experiences.We wish Gerrard all the best and look forward to visiting the 'new boutique b and b soon .
A huge thank you to all staff.

Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

Came here today for the first time - 2 adults, 2 children one of whom has Coeliac Disease. Beautiful setting outside and lovely decor inside. Warm and friendly greeting and a fantastic waitress who took the gluten free seriously. I heard her talk to the kitchen and came back a couple of minutes later to say there may be a small delay due to waiting for the gluten free fryer to heat up - only the Coeliac experienced will understand what music this was to my ears :) My daughter had a lovely gluten free fish finger sandwich, chips and salad. The rest of us had all day breakfasts (veggie, full English and child full English); all really delicious. The waitress came to ask specifically about the gluten free meal at the end and if it was ok.

We come to the New Forest a lot and will definitely be back. Can't recommend it enough.