“Gorgeous al fresco dinner”
Review of No. 131

Reserve with OpenTable
No. 131 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #134 of 499 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: No.131 is a Georgian Townhouse set on the promenade in the heart of Cheltenham. A home from home, classic on the outside, contemporary British on the inside. On the upper ground floor you'll find the elegant restaurant, bar and drawing rooms with 11 individually designed and spacious bedrooms gracing the floor above. The epitome of relaxed luxury, each feature sumptuous Egyptian bed linen, beautiful 100 Acres products and either roll top baths or walk in showers. Choose a grand Georgian bedroom overlooking Cheltenham's leafy gardens or a cosy hideaway with an antique Rogeat Lyon rolltop bath hidden in the eaves. Created by interior designer and owner Georgie Pearman, every detail has been accounted for with Egyptian cotton bed linen from Three Thieving Magpies, unique pieces of furniture and original artworks from William Kentridge, David Hockney, Sir Peter Blake, Banksy and Henry Hudson. Each room blends classic comforts with modern essentials. All rooms come with iPod docks, Nespresso machines, HD TV, Sky, and a mini-bar stocked with treats from local farmers and producers Our produce throughout is carefully sourced from British suppliers as close to home and Organic where possible, handpicked by our passionate Chefs. Whether it's an indulgent supper you're enjoying or a comforting brunch, the fresh ingredients bring the dishes to life. Downstairs discover our courtyard gardens and bar, our own little Den of iniquity, strong house cocktails, strong liquor and relaxed dining from breakfast, lunch until late
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

My first visit to 131.
Hubby's second visit.

I'm surprised by some of the other reviews to be honest because we had the perfect experience here last night for dinner!

And you can see by the number of reviews that I write that we eat out a fair bit!

Imagine a balmy summers evening in gorgeous Regency Cheltenham.

You are sat outside overlooking Imperial Gardens and the Queens Hotel. The sun has set and, in the process, painted the sky pretty hues of pink. Getting the picture yet? Idyllic

Aperitif has to be a dry Provençal rosé. Perfect.

Starters were a scrumptious cheese soufflé and scallops. Both cooked to perfection.

Mains were cod and a rose veal chop. Guess what? Yup, perfect.

And we were served by two absolutely charming young ladies. When I accidentally knocked over a glass and broke it (oops! Too much Provençal rosé? ) the waiter was quick to clear it up and replace it.

So definitely 5 out of 5 from us.
It's not a cheap place to eat, so get saving those pennies for a special treat and a little slice of heaven!

Laura H, Guest Relations Manager at No. 131, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Christine thank you kindly for the wonderful honest review and so happy you enjoyed your first time here with us, and good to have your husband return!
We do hope to see you again soon and please do let me know as it would be a pleasure to meet you both and ensure the next time is just as great.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

It was a beautiful sunny day when we were in Cheltenham and so we wanted to sit outside and have breakfast.

The outside seating area here was very nice but the breakfast menu wasn't extensive. We ordered pancakes which were very tasty but the presentation could have been better.

Our order was taken very quickly and our pancakes arrived quickly too. Our tea and coffee took a while though. The situation was handled very professionally however and we weren't charged for them.

Overall we felt that service was quite slow, it took a while to get our bill too.

Thank you for your review and comments which I have passed on to the restaurnt manager and Head Chef to help continue us to improve. Please do let me know should you wish to return to us so I can ensure you are looked after.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

My husband and I rarely go to Cheltenham but decided to take a trip there for a change. We saw 131, which was looking welcoming and an ideal location to have a light lunch in the sun.
We were greeted by a very friendly young lady at the entrance, sadly the only positive about the visit! She found us a table, which was a little cramped, we saw another table next to the railings that gave us a little more room as we had out dog with us. She was quite happy for us to move.
It was not overly busy and plenty of staff walking about, so I was surprised it took over 5 minutes for us to be noticed and a menu brought over! After we had chosen I needed to attract someone’s attention to take our order. We placed our order and asked for a jug of tap water. The glasses came, no water. I had ordered a gin with lemon, mint & tonic, my husband a Dunkerton cider, we then waited for almost 20 minutes (yes I did time it) for our drinks to arrive. I was really shocked at how small my glass was, £9 for a very small glass, not even room for any ice!

My chicken Caesar arrived, and my husband’s cheeseburger. I had asked for no anchovies and that the dressing was served separately. I first noticed that some of the lettuce was browning on the ends, not a big deal, so pushed it aside. When I discovered the chicken (very, very little) underneath the lettuce, it looked so unappetising and all the chicken had slimy skin on it and one piece of chicken looked rather unpleasant. The small bit of chicken I did tried was bland and lacked any flavour, I left all of my meal. My husband’s burger was ordered as medium/rare but was very well done. At no point during our lunch did anyone come and ask if our meal was alright, or did we need anything to go with our lunch, for example mustard for the burger or salt & pepper.

I again attracted someone’s attention and the server came over. I explained I was not happy with my chicken and pointed out the unpleasant looking chicken and skin. He didn’t make any eye contact with me, just said would I like to order something else, his manner was not at all pleasant and not once did he apologise. I said I didn’t want to order anything else, besides my husband had finished his meal and I didn’t want to wait for something else. I watched as he went over to the outside bar area and spoke with a colleague who then glanced over at me, not very nice as I felt they were talking about me, maybe this should be done where the customer can’t see.
A few minutes later a menu was given to me, to order something else, I explained again that I didn’t want anything.

When the bill came they had taken my chicken Caesar salad off, which was the very least they could do.
I was so disappointed in the service (lack of) and the way it was handled.
Not sure we’ll be visiting again.

1  Thank Brock1982

I'm very sorry to hear and read of your disappointment that our service was not up to our usual standards on this occassion. On reading your review I have spoken with the restaurant manager to give the feedback in which to help us continue to improve, I was surprised to hear the Caesar was not up to standards as this is one of our most popular dishes but glad to see they did remove it for you.

I know the team here are fantastic and can deliver great service, should you wish to try us again in the future please do contact me as I would very much like to look after you.

Laura Harvey

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Myself and my girl friends decided to come here for a drink outside in the sun. We were greeted by a rude woman who ushered us straight to the back bar crazy 8’s where there was not a sole in sight, other customers or staff. We walked back and said we’d like to sit at the front and she said it was for food only. We then approached a man as it was clear there were people not eating out there. I asked him to sit at the front in the sun he replied “if you sit at the front, you have to be over 18 and behave yourselves”.
I’ve never been so poorly treated by waiters in my life. Sort your staff out. Your attitude stinks. At 27 years if age you would think we would have been more welcome. I will never go here again. Snooty attitudes. Bad service.

3  Thank Helen S

Hi Helen,

I'm sorry to hear of your recent visit and have spoken to the staff members who were in on the day, the gentleman in question did not mean any offence and saying it in light humour. I have reiterated to all that our terrace is firs tcome first serve for all occasion be it food and drink or just drinks. Please do contact me personally as I would lobve to speak to you further and look after you should you wish to come back in the future.

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Environment and location of the restaurant is very nice, particularly when you are able to sit outside for lunch and a drink.
That’s where the positive pints stop, as service was very slow, staff were non-attentive, no eye contact and generally unapproachable.
Menu limited, the Caesar salad we ordered consisted of a larger amount of lettuce leaves, too much dressing, anchovies were small supplemented by chicken pieces which appeared to have been stripped from a chicken wing and covered in skin! Overall very disappointing.
A number of customers appeared to be returning their food and complaining about the quality of service provided. Observing the other customers - stick with a burger or fish cake and you’re okay!
On completion of our meal we waited 40mins for a coffee.

2  Thank Kevin J
Laura H, Guest Relations Manager at No. 131, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Hi Kevin,

Sorry to hear your Caesar wasn't up to our usual standards which is suprising as this dish is one of our most popular at lunch time and I'm glad we were able to take this off the bill for you after speaking with the restaurant manager who was here a the time. Please accept my apologise on the coffee delay and should you wish to come again in the future please do contact me directly as it would be lovely to meet you and look after you.