“Loved it”

Ranked #44 of 1,256 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$21 - US$42
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Voted 'Best Restaurant' in the Brighton Foodie Awards 2012Good food Guide 2013Food for Friends restaurant in Brighton has been in the vanguard of vegetarian cuisine for more than twenty five years. Set in The Lanes, Brighton’s most happening district, Food for Friends has slowly spread over three shop fronts, developing a labyrinth of brightly lit, modern dining rooms kitted out with stylish minimalism, some overlooking the bustling lanes outside. Cuisine from around the globe is created using predominantly local, organic ingredients, some delivered by bike. Vegans and those with food allergies and intolerances are well cared for here. Wines are organic and mainly vegan, coffee is fairtrade, and an irresistible afternoon tea is served.
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

I read a brief comment about this place when I got down to Brighton and stumbled upon it without actually looking for it. Really nice variety, creative, well cooked, lovely staff and good service. Not cheap but quality. Looking forward to my next trip down to Brighton.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,470)

Reviewed 30 May 2018

Now I don't usually recommend the more expensive restaurants as they're rarely in need of online support and I'm fairly stingy when it comes to eating out. But figured we'd treat ourselves this time round and this place earned the recommendation.

As a vegetarian it can be hard to find interesting food around, and although this place is definitely on the higher end of fancy street prices, it doesn't fail to deliver in quality.

The cocktails (around £8 each) were fantastic, and the vegetarian sharing platter (£26 starter) had a better variety of flavours creativity than most restaurants have in their entire menu.

Add in the friendly staff and the brilliant idea to have floor to ceiling windows and you have yourself an experience that'll leave you smiling.

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

My wife and I visited over the bank holiday weekend after reading rave reviews on Trip Advisor. The restaurant is nice, staff friendly and professional, however the main meals felt overpriced for the quality.

For starters we shared the potato and vegan mince croquettes and inari tofu wraps, both of which were very nice. We both then had the open ravioli for our mains and were incredibly disappointed. The dish is simply 2 sheets of lasagne pasta sheets with roasted aubergine, courgettes, capers and peppers (it's advertised as containing olives but mine had none), in a tomato sauce. It was almost tasteless with little to no seasoning. We both agreed that'd we'd have been happy to pay £6 tops for it, nowhere near the £15 it goes for.

We'd umm-ed and ahh-ed about whether to go here or to Terre à Terre which is a frankly incredible restaurant, and clearly made the wrong choice! Who knows, perhaps it was just that one meal that was poor.

1  Thank Ashm84
Reviewed 30 May 2018

We ate here as a couple, late lunch the day after the bank holiday. It was a cool light room on a grey and slightly sticky day. 3 dishes and two glasses of wine came to about £38 including service. Not too bad but the dishes were small. The scotch egg was very good. I enjoyed the potato croquettes, my other half found the pink peppercorns a bit intense. The tempura style aubergine was good and very light but a bit big in comparison to the other two dishes. A couple of small salad options would have been good. I enjoyed it, more than my partner but it was a bit expensive for what it was. Relaxed and friendly service.

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

I’ve visited Food for Friends a couple of times now and it’s delightful! They offer an amazing menu for both vegetarian and vegan diets and the staff are lovely. We recently had their roast dinner which was to die for, I’ll be back when I’m next visiting!