“Great Sichuan food at reasonable prices!”
Review of The Famous Sichuan

The Famous Sichuan
Ranked #732 of 1,177 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 28 February 2021 via mobile

Firstly; please don’t be put off by some of the bad reviews! In my experience people often expect sweeter more familiar Cantonese food and are then disappointed by the salty, tingling, fieriness of Sichuan cuisine. My girlfriend and I were in Brighton for the weekend and were wandering around looking for a late night eat. We stumbled upon this place and decided to give it a try. My girlfriend had never eaten authentic Chinese food before. We are both vegan and found a range of exciting options on the menu. We ordered a spicy Tofu dish with black fungus and garlic broccoli with boiled rice and two glasses of wine. The Tofu dish was outstanding in every way. The broccoli was cooked to perfection in a delicate but punchy garlic sauce. The wine was perfectly nice and the young women serving us was super friendly and happy to discuss the menu with us. My girlfriend said this was the best Chinese meal she’d ever had. I grew up in London and haven’t had better. The decor was plain but the place was perfectly clean which is all that matters. When ever we’re next in Brighton it will be our first stop!

Date of visit: March 2020
Write a reviewReviews (62)

Reviewed 22 April 2020

I have been working in Sussex quite a lot and staying at the IBIS in Brighton. Its right opposite the famous Sichuan

It blows the pants of My Sichuan in London and Sichuan Folk in Oxford.

I love the cumin lamb and double cooked pork and cabbage hot pot. The mouth watering chicken is also very good.

Its also superb value for money although the décor is a little frayed around the edges.

Whilst they cook other styles of Chinese food the Sichuan dishes are the stars of the show here.

Try it; its great!!

Date of visit: March 2020
Reviewed 17 December 2019 via mobile

Don't bother with this place at all! Wrong dishes, rude staff. Avoid!!! Ordered a vegetarian duck and was served an actual duck. What the duck!

Date of visit: December 2019
3  Thank Paul P
Reviewed 9 September 2019

+ Great food, really fresh taste, lots of variety for each dish, and they offer good discounts for students or cash payments.
- Prices are just a touch high, and customer service on the telephone could be better.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed 14 July 2019

Truly authentic sichuan food--great cumin lamb for example. And solid cantonese selections (vegetable fried spring rolls were great), But oh what a dreary place. Even so, worth the sacrifice of attractive surroundings for cheap good food.

Date of visit: July 2019