“Clean,varied scenery but land train issues”

Hengistbury Head Beach
Book In Advance
More Info
US$16.18*
and up
City Sightseeing Bournemouth Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #1 of 79 things to do in Bournemouth
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Beautiful, varied scenery which is clean and well kept. Great to see beach, forest, wetlands, wildlife, beach huts were lovely. The disappointment was the land train - there weren't enough carriages - it was a dull day (can't imagine on a summer day) and a young teenager was told by a lady working on the land train to squeeze in next to me with no space between us - I thought that was inappropriate. Then the lady working on the land train said that we should've paid for luggage because we had beach chairs each and picnic bags but 4 of us were in one carriage so weren't taking up any more room than anyone else on the train and considered that as she had squeezed the poor teenager in next to me that she had done us a favour by not charging us for luggage! Not the best customer service and lack of people skills. We had to wait a while for the train to go even though it was full and more people were being put on. The last train back was at 4.10pm in May which seemed early. As we had waited so long to leave on the land train I assumed, when there was such a long queue to go back, that we wouldn't get on the last train so we started walking but suddenly at the end of the day another train came very quickly to pick up the last few people. We had already started walking as we weren't sure how long they'd be or if we'd get on - communication about this wasn't clear. Had we known for definite there'd be an extra we would've waited. I think I would check out the boat timings from Mudeford next time. It was a nice place though and I would definitely go back perhaps more in Spring and Autumn. Visitor centre was very friendly.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,008)
All reviews
in 44 reviews
"ice cream"
in 56 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I visit this beach all the time as I don't live too far from it. I visit in all weather and its sometimes very quite which is as lovely as a busy summers day. Its normally very clean and there are some solid paths to walk along by the beach for pushchairs and easy access users.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Excellent walk over the cliffe tops to a lovely day beach. Very clean and quite. You can catch a small ferry to muddeford to the quay with nice pub.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The nature and photographic opportunities are plenty and kids will love crabbing and searching around the shoreline and creeks.