Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
View deal
ExpediaUS$165
FindHotel
Trip.com
All reviews bowling green high standard signature room sauna and steam room petit fours course dinner lovely hotel fresh milk and water huge bathroom sunday lunch first class swimming pool homemade biscuits walk in shower coach party every evening lounge area
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 September 2021

This hotel is our go-to place for special occasions and we had yet another wonderful meal - wonderful staff and lovely atmosphere with Al tickling the ivories. We had six course dinner and hope to be back soon!

Date of stay: June 2021
Steve Furness, Owner at The Belgrave Sands Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2021

Good afternoon Clementi007,

Thank you for the wonderful endorsement and I am glad that we are the go to place for special occasions, I am really glad that you had a wonderful meal.

I'm sure Alan will enjoy reading your comments I will make sure I pass them on to him next time I see him.

I am delighted to read that you will be back soon I really look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 14 September 2021 via mobile

What a lovely hotel! We had read reviews on this hotel before we stayed so knew we were in for a treat. Staff are very friendly and helpful, we arrived early and left our luggage whilst we went out for lunch and when we checked in later on our luggage had been taken to our room all ready for us.
Our room was lovely, we even had slippers and gowns and a lovely box of shortbread. There was also cold fresh milk and water in the fridge. The bed was very comfortable.
We used the swimming pool which was very nice and relaxing.
We didn’t eat dinner in the hotel so cannot comment on that but it smelt amazing as we walked through reception.
Breakfast was lovely with lots of choices, we had the full English which was very nice along with pastries and yogurts. The only thing with breakfast was the tables were soooo close together, we felt as though we were eating breakfast with the table next to us they are that close - not good for social distancing either.
Parking is free for residents and the hotel is so close to the harbour with more shops and restaurants in walking distance.
We would definitely stay here again.

Good afternoon jchamb0131,

I am delighted with your feedback and even more thrilled to read that you would definitely stay again.

It is a pleasure to read that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful, I am equally pleased that you enjoyed the room and the other facilities around the hotel such as the pool.

We do like to encourage our guests to arrive earlier if they choose as you can start your holiday early, even if the rooms aren't ready, I am glad you took advantage of this and had some lunch in the lounge.

It is a shame you did not opt for Dinner in Seasons restaurant, I would really recommend this for next time if you choose to stay again, however I have read that you enjoyed the breakfast so our Kitchen staff will be happy with the comments regarding this. I am sorry that you felt the tables were too close, we have followed guidelines correctly through the entirety of the pandemic and that has not changed, the tables will be at least 1 metre apart.

Thank you for taking some time to leave a review and I really hope on your next visit to Torquay we can welcome you back at The Belgrave Sands Hotel & Spa.

Luke & all the team.

Reviewed 14 September 2021

The location of the hotel is pretty awesome. It is close to the beach and is probably about 15 minutes from the harbour. Car parking facilities are available which is such a great plus for any hotel. We were there to visit Greenway, Agatha Christie's holiday home primarily as it was just a weekend away from work.

The hotel check-in experience was pleasant and we were surprised to be offered a tea, which was very thoughtful for tired travellers. The hotel corridors leading to the rooms are bit narrow so do take care. Our room on the 2nd floor was quite small but since we (and probably all guests) were spending the day away, it is not a big issue. The smallness of the room was well compensated by the large bathroom and WC. Again, another example of thoughtfulness was the cold water in the small fridge and a can of clotted cream shortbreads in the room along with all the amenities of a 4 star property.

We used the spa facilities in the hotel which were as expected and booked a table for two that night. The menu is limited for vegetarians though the fare was well presented and just enough. The LIVE music both the piano recital and then the singing duo were very good and kept the diners entertained throughout. If it was not for the long travel we would have stayed back for more. The two ladies who were serving us all diners did a great job throughout the night.

Kudos to the manager for the evening who was kind enough to slip in a map of an alternative route (due to half marathon the next day) to Greenway. This was completely unsolicited and would like to extend my thanks and appreciation for the serve.

The breakfast is sumptuous and is well made. The coffee that accompanied the breakfast was simply brilliant too. The hotel used great cutlery and cloth napkins (for dinner) which is unlike many others.

Overall, it felt we travelled back in time when attention to detail and thoughtfulness was revered. Long may that continue.

Good afternoon PSKM2015,

I really enjoyed reading your feedback and thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on this forum.

We have a very desirable location within Torquay so I am glad that you agree and our car park just adds to the convenience and location, we want all the services we offer to match our lovely location so I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your check in experience and complimentary hot drink to add to your comfort, this of course continues as you mentioned in the room with the biscuits and water, please be aware that we often change what is offered in the room as a welcome treat and biscuits are not always available.

I am glad you had the chance to dine in Seasons Restaurant, the menu changes monthly to keep our offer fresh and in keeping with seasonal produce, we always have at least one vegetarian option which changes daily, if you are vegetarian and would prefer something different to what we have on offer for that specific evening we are more than happy to prepare something else we just need to know beforehand. It was happy to read that you enjoyed the accompanying piano and entertainment.

Your lovely comments regarding the staff member that proactively offered some directions and a map have been shared with the team as this is the service standard we strive to achieve every day and I am pleased that you recognised this.

Thank you once again for your overall comments and I hope that you do have the chance to visit again. I would like the chance to discuss with you what we can do more to achieve a 5 star review.

Reviewed 13 September 2021 via mobile

Awesome
Spotless hotel with excellent amenities the staff went above and beyond to help (a credit to recruitment) breakfast was fantastic ! pound for pound one of the best hotels I’ve stayed in the rooms spacey and robes slippers etc ready to pop into the spar to enjoy steam sauna or a dip ! We will be back very soon

Room tip: Nothing to discuss just book it
1  Thank 700kentonh
Steve Furness, Owner at The Belgrave Sands Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2021

Good afternoon 700kentonh,

Thank you for your wonderful comments, I was really happy to read to how the staff went above and beyond and your further comments regarding breakfast, rooms, amenities and value for money.

I am delighted to read that you will be back soon and we really look forward to having you back.

Reviewed 10 September 2021 via mobile

My husband and I spent a week here end of August, beginning of September and we found it very enjoyable.

We arrived earlier than the stated check in time and so were very pleased to find our room was ready after a long drive. We were told that we could have a complimentary pot of tea/coffee on arrival and the staff allowed us to have this later in the day after we had settled in. This was a nice touch and not something provided by the large hotel chains.

We had booked a deluxe double room and on the whole were very impressed and found it comfortable. The bathroom was almost as big as the room itself with a large free standing bath and double shower cubicle but also a lot of dead space. In comparison, the layout of the room itself felt a little cluttered.For example, there was a table immediately behind the door as you walked in. Due to where it was, we never used it. We stored our suitcases in the bathroom to give us more room and made some adjustments to make things work for us.

Each day the room would be cleaned and water/milk in the fridge replenished. Again, fresh cold milk provided daily is not something you see with the hotel chains and was so much better than the little UHT pots which we often encounter. On the whole the cleaning service was excellent however on our first night I did discover an empty chocolate wrapper hidden behind the floor length curtains when I closed them so maybe a more thorough check was needed between guests.

Breakfast was provided daily and it was lovely to have the option of a freshly cooked dish alongside the continental buffet options. The food was delicious and there was plenty of choice. However, one morning there was no brown sauce which was disappointing as my husband considers this an essential to any cooked breakfast!

Dinner was available to pre-book at £35 per person for a 6 course (2 courses are amuse-bouche) and after reading the rave reviews on TA we decided we had to give it a try. As with the breakfast, the quality of food cannot be faulted however the a’la carte style wasn’t really for us so we chose to eat out in the many places in town the other nights.

The hotel is in a fantastic spot, almost on the seafront and a lovely 15 minute stroll down the promenade to the harbour. There is a handy little shop right next door for drinks or papers etc.There was a bus stop to Babbacombe right opposite the hotel (22) and buses to Paignton, Brixham and beyond passed along the seafront a few steps away (122 & 12). The train station is also a 5 minute walk away with a regular service to Exmouth/Paignton. The location of the hotel meant everything was accessible but there was no noise from the town centre. Neither were we disturbed during the night or early morning despite our room being close to the restaurant area.

Another big plus for the hotel is the spa area and leisure facilities. These were open 8-8 and we made use of them a few times. Alongside the treatment room, there is a pool, small gym, sauna and steam room with access out to a terrace. Most of the time we had the place to ourselves even though the hotel appeared to be fully booked.

We thoroughly enjoyed our “staycation”here and we would definitely recommend to others.

1  Thank 242EmmaH

Good afternoon 242EmmaH,

Thank you so much for leaving such an in depth review, I hope that other guests have a chance to read your informative comments.

I am sorry to read that you found the room cluttered, but I am glad you managed to rearrange to suit you, there are different grades of room so if next time you visit you choose a Signature room I am sure you will have ample space however most of our Deluxe and Classic rooms are a really comfortable size. The rooms are always thoroughly checked to ensure they are immaculate ready for the next guests, to read that an empty chocolate wrapper was found behind the curtain is disappointing but I'm sure this was not ignored but maybe just not visible until the curtains were drawn.

It was lovely to read your comments regarding the food, I just wanted to notify you that we do have plenty of brown sauce, it is normally offered by our waiting staff so I am unsure as to why this did not happen during your stay however I will mention this to the team to ensure this always offered, as you find this an essential item I prompt you to ask next time to avoid disappointment, I am sorry nevertheless.

The feedback given is on the whole very pleasing to read but please be aware that things such as brown sauce not being offered and an empty wrapper behind the curtains gives us something to work on and I can ensure if you come again these things will be rectified but despite this I am glad you would recommend.