“Best G&T and Hake to die for!”
Review of Bravas

Bravas
Ranked #26 of 1,847 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$0 - US$47
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Bravas is a small, lively and atmospheric Andalusian inspired tapas bar with top quality food & wine & friendly welcoming service at the forefront of what we do.We're very pleased to say we have many local and regular customers so booking is advisable, however you can always come and squeeze in and use some of our unreserved seats around the bar or in the window for drinks & tapas.We look forward to welcoming you soon!
Reviewed 25 December 2016 via mobile

Booked the table for myself and two friends to exchange Christmas presents about 3 weeks in advance. I'm glad I did because it was fully booked! Bravas is a small, intimate relationship so be prepared to be near to other diners. The only problem with the restaurant is being sat on a high stool for 2+ hours. It became exceptionally uncomfortable after this amount of time. The 6 o clock gin and tonic was fantastic. Held in a huge glass with a large amount of ice, it stayed cold, and they served it with the perfect amount of tonic and some rosemary. The tapas are a great size, although there was so much we wanted to try that we ended up having 5 dishes each! I had a single red prawn which was beautifully cooked, a single chicken and chorizo croqueta, which can be stodgy but this was delightfully light and flavoursome, the Hake with lemon and parsley which was the best Hake I have ever tasted, chorizo cooked in cider and a broccoli, manchego and anchovy salad. I never thought broccoli could be so appealing but it was truly delicious. Sitting around such a small table, it was very useful that the food comes out at different times, and the waitress was very attentive and took away empty plates very quickly. We were all really pleased with the food and because we had 3 plates each and 2 smaller single items, we had space for some pudding. The panna cotta was perfectly smooth, and the chocolate truffles and mousse were amazing. I cannot recommend Bravas enough!

2  Thank CharleyM

Reviewed 22 December 2016

I love tapas and the experience that goes with it. You feel totally relaxed here, not rushed whatsoever. You can spend the evening drinking wine and ordering plates gradually, which are all really tasty. I love the piquillo peppers. A wonderful ambience, and a wonderful evening.

Reviewed 21 December 2016 via mobile

This is an excellent place to eat, certainly one of the best reasonably-priced restaurants in the city.
We came for lunch so we would have some chance of getting a seat.
The potato pie showed what gifted chefs can do with the humblest of foods -- another great way to use the low-cost potato to satisfy Nutrition and Taste at the same time.
The hake was also delicious, an excellent vehicle​ for garlic and herbs. Again, a low priced fish made into first class fare by excellent cooking.
No need to break the budget just to eat top of the line.
The broccoli was also delicious, tho my wife would have liked more anchovy
The knock out is the aubergine(I call it eggplant) with molasses, certain to become a signature dish of Bravas and Cotham Hill.

I think we are in the culinary Age of Tapas. It's not a light snack anymore. It's a way to approach mealtime -- with a series of small extra-tasty side dishes, rather than mains of a few items centred around one special thing, usually meat. Now we have a whole meal of specialties!!!
Maybe it's a product of two trends. One is that more of us than ever before have enough volume to eat every day, and are therefore getting used to that and desiring a bit more. The other trend is that food is becoming less tasty, relying totally on the power of sugar, salt and fat,and less on the skills of the cooks and farmers.
Tapas is moving us along toward the quality end of the food spectrum, where less is more -- good for weight control and sustainability.
So Bravo to Bravas from a visiting Canadian.

1  Thank wayne300944
Reviewed 21 December 2016 via mobile

No tables available but there was space at the bar - perfect! Ordered lots and all of it amazing! Loved the olives, the entrecôte was cooked to perfection, kale was a little salty but I was so full! All food very fresh and service was good too. Definitely recommended.

1  Thank ReesieMei
Reviewed 19 December 2016

H and I popped in for a late lunch, I have had the intention to eat here for awhile, having eaten one of their bocadillos that a friend brought round to mine once. We came between the 'normal' times for lunch and dinner so had no problem getting a table.

We had 8 dishes in total. Highlights being their aioli which was nicely balanced, and the grilled iberico pork. Everything was the perfect size at its price point and we both left feeling like we ate the right amount.

The one disappointment was their own namesake patatas bravas, as they opted for thin cut potato. While the sauce was good, we had been waiting for something a bit softer rather than crispy. But I am sure others may enjoy this twist on a classic tapas dish.

We accompanied the meal with two glasses of Rioja Alta, but they have an extensive drinks menu which I would look to explore when I go there for a full dinner. I have heard good things about their G&T's but I prefer my tapas with a good red wine.

Service was good, made no problem about not having a booking. Which can be problematic as there is limited space and during busier hours people get turned away. Very good value for money on delicious tapas, with an atmosphere which threw me back to the time I last visited Barcelona.