All reviews clifton village single room was small top floor complimentary fruit independent hotel loose tea ground coffee small hotel suspension bridge limited parking training course eggs benedict mini bar lovely hotel reception staff comfortable room breakfast was excellent
Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for work purposes and stayed in a single occupancy room. First things first, the hotel is hard to identify if you are unfamiliar to the location (as I was). There is a restaurant attached to the hotel, so keep an eye out for the chalk boards on the side street as this is where the hotel entrance is! Secondly parking is a bit of a nightmare! I was told that parking is based on a first come first served basis (which is fair enough) and that I'd have to pay for hotel parking or pay for a parking permit (£7). There are only about 7 spaces allocated to the hotel, so be prepared to park on the side streets somewhere. What I wasn't told was that there are pay and display machines on the road at the front of the hotel, so if you're lucky enough to find a space there you pay £1 per hour between 5-9pm...this meant that instead of paying £7 for a parking permit I only needed to pay £2 for my overnight parking as I didn't arrive until 7pm.
As mentioned, there is a restaurant attached to the hotel, however, the hotel is also located very close to one of the high streets where you there are other restaurants, coffee bars and a Tesco express just a minute's walk away.
Unfortunately, my room was located at the bottom of the hotel....if you're allocated rooms 1,2, or 3 be prepared for a noisy time! Room 3 especially (my room) is located underneath the restaurant: cue squeaky floorboards, chairs being scraped, banging, and heavy footsteps until the restaurant closes.
The rooms are very cosy and were well made and clean overall. Complimentary teas, coffees and hot chocolate await alongside a complimentary bowl of fruit! I had a heater and an air con gadget located in my room, which was good as I was a bit nippy in the room! The bed was comfy and allowed for a decent night's sleep.
All in all I've given the hotel an average rating....good for location (although parking may be an issue), average for room quality but below average on room location. If you have the option definitely request a room on the ground floor or higher up!

Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
AmyH5517, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

Dear ShevKC,
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am glad to read you had an overall enjoyable stay with us.
I am sorry to read that you had issues with finding the hotel's location and for the car park. We have checked the lights outside of the hotel to make sure the signage is clearly visible and that our guests can easily find us. In regards of parking, the pay and display is chargeable, as you mentioned, between 9am and 9pm, which is indeed a cheaper solution for a late arrival, however we do offer you our parking options first in order to allow your car to stay in a secure space (away from the main road) or in some specific areas as our map in reception displays, in order to avoid you to drive around the area, especially if you are not familiar with it. I have mentioned this to my team, who are always happy to list you all of the parking options.
I do apologise if your room was affected by the noise. I have addressed to the night receptionists who are checking the noise from the restaurant is at the minimum in the evenings. I am sorry this did not happen properly this time.

I do hope you will give us another chance and stay with us again soon. Please do contact us directly to get the best rates available and to request a higher floor room.

Reviewed 3 October 2018

Service is good, the rooms are simply way too small.
I quite like the Clifton Groups including dining and hotels they have. The rooms are quite small and some of hotels have no lift. it can be tough for customers having heavy suitcases.

Stayed: August 2018

Dear Josephine,
Thank you for taking the time to review us, I am happy to read you decided to stay with us once again!
Being located in a Grade 2 listed building, our rooms vary in shape and size, we do always invite our guests (especially when returning to the hotel) to book directly to give a "personalised" touch to your stay. This of course involves the guest on deciding whether to have a room with shower or bath, which floor or maybe a bigger room, like in your case. Our helpful reception team are always more than happy to help our guests with their luggages, which helps in a building without a lift like ours.

Thank you again for your feedback and we do look forward to welcome you back at the Clifton Hotels Group soon!

Reviewed 2 October 2018

Stayed 2 nights at a weekend whilst attending a wedding at the Bristol Pavilion. Small hotel in Georgian stone. Just off main road . Handy for zoo and city centre. Bus stops outside. Only a few parking spaces outside but permits can be purchased for nearby side roads.(£7 per night)

We did not eat in the hotel so cannot comment on food. A nice cosy dining room off reception. Open to general public.

Staff very pleasant and helpful. Reception staffed 24 hours.

Stayed in double room on first floor at front of building.Nice and sunny. Room was not hugely spacious but was pleasant. Very comfortable bed.Slept really well. Bath with shower serviceable. Coffee/tea making facilities. Good sized TV. Separate music centre with radio. Mini bar.

All areas clean. Nice soft bath towels.

Overall good value for money. Would stay there again.

Note: local people were friendly and helpful when asked for directions etc. Bus fares and taxi fares very reasonable.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Dear ChaniWestMidlands,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. As a small independent business, our guests' feedback is extremely important to us.
I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us. We are lucky to be located in the main Clifton Village area, where the main amenities are. Parking is definitely tricky almost everywhere in Bristol, however I am glad you managed to find a parking spot.
Our housekeeping team are happy to read you found the room comfortable, they all work very hard in order to provide you a 5* standard serviced room.
I do agree with you about local people's friendliness, they make the pulsing heart of Bristol!

We look forward to welcome you at the Rodney Hotel soon. Please do not hesitate to book with us directly for your next visit in Bristol.

Reviewed 26 September 2018

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel as it's just walking distance from Bristol Student Union and the most popular bridge in the area, Clifton Suspension Bridge. Opposite the hotel, you can easily find shops and restaurants including the Clifton Arcade...:-)

Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
AmyH5517, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2018

Dear AndreM1340,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney. As a small independent hotel, reviews and feedback are so valuable to us and it is always so motivating for the team to read that someone has enjoyed their experience.
Clifton Village is a beautiful and charming area of Bristol and obviously steeped in history, with, as you mentioned, the Clifton Suspension Bridge just around the corner and plenty of stunning Georgian architecture to enjoy.
I hope that you will be able to visit us again in the future.
All the best,
Amy

Reviewed 23 September 2018

4 of us stayed at The Rodney for 3 nights this week. We were on a Training Course which was within walking distance of the hotel (Engineers House).
Lovely small hotel with the personal touch. Rooms great - rooms on top floor gives you a work out to eat the fabulous breakfast.

Friendly staff -made you feel welcome. All agreed we would stay here again. We even got a parking space the front with our van!

Room Tip: Only go on top floor if you fancy a mini work out-great views from rooms at the back
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
AmyH5517, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2018

Dear DJH281,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us during your training at the Engineers House. Being part of a small independent business, our guests feedback is extremely important to us and we aim to mantain a high standard of customer service all the time, to encourage our guests to visit us again soon, which I hope you will!
I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast and you found the staff friendly, both the restaurant and the reception staff work very hard in order to provide you a welcoming and efficient service.
We look forward to welcome you soon. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly to get the best available rates or to take advantage of your company discount.