“Quiet post Christmas meal”

Cote Brasserie - Bristol Quakers Friars
Ranked #137 of 1,850 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Description: Our inspiration for the food and design of Cote is a modern interpretation of the many famous bistros of Paris. Inspired by new trends, we are dedicated to serving authentic classic brasserie dishes with a modern twist, using high quality produce at great prices.
Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

Between Christmas and New Year the centre of Bristol was quite busy but with a plethora of both independent and multiple food outlets & restaurants to choose from, we elected to try Cote as we had previously visited other sites. We arrived to a quiet restaurant at 8.00pm and were shown to a table. There were probably 10 other people eating when we arrived but some left fairly early.
We ordered olives and fougasse bread plus a bottle of rose wine.prawns in garlic gratin and a charcuterie board for starters then sea bream and pork belly for mains. The food was extremely good and nicely presented. The service was very good and the only thing lacking was atmosphere due to lack of people. That meant that staff were spending time cleaning and restocking fridges and cupboards. Nevertheless not to detract from the meal which was perfectly ok. Total bill approx £80 including wine, coffee and a Baileys.

Reviewed 30 December 2017

Nice restaurant but being empty should have been a warning sign, still its cold outside so here we go. The staff were attentive but unfortunately that is where the good news comes to a halt. Ordered drinks and a steak tartar(e) starter having had this in many places on the continent including the Brussels Hilton (name dropping) what actually greeted me on the plate can only be properly described as a circle of vegetables that were pickled with the slightest hint of beef being present but tasted of nothing but pickles bearing no resemblance to the actual dish as it should be, now I know there is going to be arms thrown up in the air at this establishment so can I just say GOOGLE IT and see how it should look also presentation ideas abound.
This is a dish that should be taken off the menu until a chef can be sourced with the ability and know how to attempt this as the current incumbent seems to be devoid of all the necessary knowledge.
The main Breton chicken - the chicken was one of the best I have tasted - but - let down by the Mcdonald style frozen fries that had obviously been made of 3 different batches super crispy - you had too snap them in half, crispy - not quite as bad as the previous, Nice - these had obviously been thrown in to top up the previous left overs.
All in all this is no more than typical British pub food, I would love to say with a twist alas more of a downward spiral as most British pubs now offer fresh cut chips not the nasty frozen ones that these were.

1  Thank John M
Reviewed 27 December 2017

Since September I have gone vegetarian with a push towards veganism. Met friends for a drink at Bristol's Christmas Market and chose Cote Brasserie as our eating venue. We chose the 'early bird' menu (£11.50 for 2 course, £13,50 for 3 courses). My choice of starter was the Mushroom Brioche which was tasty but judging by my friends options I had a small portion - two mouthfuls and it was gone! The only choice for the main course was Baked Camembert - very rich and as you wold expect, very cheesy. There was no vegan option. I fared better with dessert and plummeted for the "Crumble Aux Pommes". It escapes me why the restaurant gives this dish a French sounding title. Just call it what it is - Apple Crumble! Overall service was good and my friends felt that their meatier menu choices were good value for money. I just felt I couldn't agree and felt that the vegetarian options were limited. I checked out the A La Carte Menu and although they did cater for vegetarians, there were no main courses for vegan. Perhaps dishes could be tweaked if asked.

Reviewed 23 December 2017

After meeting up for a few drinks we made our way to Cote in Cabot Circus for an evening meal. We were welcomed by a very friendly waitress who looked after us all evening. She was very polite and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The food was excellent and service very prompt. The wine was very good as well. It was certainly very good value all round.

Reviewed 23 December 2017 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend came here for our anniversary and our waitress was called Mish. She was very friendly and attentive. Overall we experienced brilliant service. Please pass this on to our waitress. She was amazing!