“One of my favorites ”
Review of Red onion

Red onion
Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

A really great addition to Portage la Prairie. Food is always excellent. Many options for vegetarians. We often do take out and always have leftovers for the next day. Pricing is very reasonable. Buffet available.

Reviewed 2 February 2018

As a fan of East India Company, Clay Oven, etc in Winnipeg, I had to stop in at Red Onion while on a work trip in P la P.
WOW, what a hidden gem!
We came in the early evening on a weekday, and the place was empty.
The server (owner) was friendly, pleasant, and attentive.
My coworker and I took a look at the buffet, and since it had all my favorites, I dived right in!
Navratan Korma, Butter Chicken, and Palak paneer are my faves, and they had all three, plus much more. Wondefully creamy and well-spiced, with no off-flavors. The spices were mild, but that just allowed the flavors to stand out even more!
I'd consider them even better than East India Company (which lately seems to have poor, bone-y cuts of meat in their butter chicken), and Clay Oven (which I swear has reduced their portion size in between my last two visits).

All in all, I'd HIGHLY recommend Red Onion. :)

1  Thank lookintomyeyes83
Reviewed 1 February 2018 via mobile

we were passing through portage la prairie, found this restaurant & decided to try it out! First of all food is definitely tasty, nice dining area, well customized,buffet was also there but went for Ala carte. Portion size is very disappointing & it’s really small in quantity!!! It’s not a cheap highway restaurant to dine in too! Very friendly customer service, nice parking , petrol pump in campus to continue our journey.. Will recommend either increase portion size or reduce prices.

Reviewed 15 December 2017

I have never eaten much Indian food but since becoming vegetarian, and now vegan, I have expanded my variety of foods. My daughter and I tried Red Onion and were immediately hooked. We hadn't planned on doing the buffet, but everything looked so good - and it was! Since then I've ordered the samosa platter numerous times and it's become a favourite. The service is excellent and friendly, the prices are extremely reasonable, and the food is simply delicious. For example, on our most recent visit, we each ordered the samosa platter, which consists of three good-sized samosas on a bed of channa masala, an order of veggie pakora, and a naan bread each. It came to $22 and we each had enough leftovers for a meal the next day.

But even if Red Onion were more pricey, I would still come here regularly. In a city where dining options are extremely limited, (esp. for anyone looking for veg options) Red Onion is a gem. Each time I go there are more people there so I think work is spreading. I highly recommend it!

1  Thank lbereza
Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

Our stop here for lunch was a pleasant surprise. Having been to India, we found the heat intensity to be very mild and subtle which is ideal for newcomers to Indian cuisine. However, after tasting every item, we confidently claim to have enjoyed all of the flavours that we experienced. It was a tasty meal and reasonably priced. We had one order of garlic naan to share and it was lovely and fresh. There was a lot of choice at the buffet allowing a taste of each item to fill a large plate. The temperature of the cooked food was warm rather than hot.
I expect that you could up the heat in all respects by ordering off the menu.

Service was pleasant and attentive.

My husband and I will definitely go back for more.