“This Restaurant used to be very good. Too bad”

For the Halibut Fish and Chips
Ranked #5 of 46 Restaurants in Bancroft
Reviewed 31 May 2018

Stopped in to grab dinner while in Bancroft. I ordered the Haddock and reg chips. My brother ordered Halibut and reg chips. The fish seemed under done as the batter tasted under cooked. The size of the fish was surprisingly small. Would hate to see the small portions. The amount of fries was very disappointing. Potatoes are cheap and more fries would have made the plate seem like a better deal. normal dinner plate looked half empty for the $30+ dollars which included a couple cokes. Very sad as there is not many choices in the area for fish and chips but I will be definitely trying elsewhere from now on. 2 dots given for the friendly service which was about the only shining point.

Diane H, Owner at For the Halibut Fish and Chips, responded to this reviewResponded 2 days ago

I wish you would of let us know that we had let you down. We care about what we do and would of found a way to make your experience better. I am sorry to have disappointed you. If you ever decide to give us another try please mention this review and we will do our best to give you a better experience.

Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

Husband and I went to grab take out on recommendation of some locals. All I can say is I’m glad we only dropped $20.00 on this place on one order. I should have taken a photo of the lack lustre food. We ordered a large halibut and regular fries. That was only after a man and his child came in who were obviously local and were asked to order before me when I clearly arrived before them.

It’s one cook doing dining room and take out. The idea of takeout is you aren’t waiting but she did the dining room orders first. There was another woman cleaning up around who asked if she needed help but she refused. Why would you refuse help when you are clearly backing up???. Then people came in who ordered ahead but we were served first. Isn’t that backwards if I call ahead I want my order ready to go!

Anyway, we took our order and we start to eat it in the parking lot. Okay the fish was thick and quite tasty but some of the batter was still raw. I would say it wasn’t a “large” piece about the size of toast bread square. Look, I understand halibut is very expensive... so then make up for the smallish piece with a good amount of fries. Honestly, the fries didn’t even cover the bottom of the box and on top of that they, were so undercooked the still had that raw bite to them. Maybe they forgot to blanch them? In any event fill the box it costs a few extra cents but it’s only a potato for crying out loud.

Anyway we ended up going to the chip truck up the road, got a medium fresh cut fries for $5.00 bucks and got a huge amount spilling out of the box we couldn’t finish. Perfectly cooked as well. We noticed they sell halibut for $10.00 but can’t say if it’s tasty but if the fries are any indication probably pretty good. And lots of people eating here as well.

So overall my review is this. Service customers as they arrive not as you know them. They were friendly enough and obviously get a lot of locals but as a passer by I was disappointed. Didn’t feel it was value for the money.

1  Thank Gingergirl69
Reviewed 29 March 2018

Drove 2 hours for this. And not the 1st time. The fish is superb, the chips just right. The service is a wee bit slower than I like, but so SO worth it.

Reviewed 1 March 2018

Best onion rings, ever! As is the clam chowder. A must try. The service is friendly and accommodating.

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

Just love everything about this place ! The fresh cut potatoes, the home made slaw, and the house cut fish !