Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Backcountry Gear Rentals

The quality of the gear here is amasing, we rented touring skis, boots, poles for a 3 day... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Zoe h
Scotland, United Kingdom
Very helpful, great service!

The folks are GearUp were super helpful for our family of three during our vacation in Canmore. We... read more

Reviewed 15 July 2018
Marianne B
Encinitas, California

All reviews legacy trail ski equipment rented skis these guys high performance latest equipment excellent equipment bike lock rental process downhill ski climbing shoes online reservation very friendly and helpful staff easy process great advice lake louise ski trip
Reviewed 17 April 2018

For the past five years I have been recommending Gear Up to all our visitors to Canmore/Banff for skiing or biking rentals. I will continue to do so but wish to alert others to the mistakes and dissatisfaction that can happen if you are not savvy.
My friend called in and was told to make her reservation online. Something was not clear to her on the website for ski rentals and she booked everything but skis for a price of $27. When she went to pick up her rentals, nothing was said and a pair of skis was given to her despite not reserving them. This would have been the point at which they might have alerted her to the lack of skis on her reservation and the additional cost. Upon return they told her her fee was $47. While the details of the pricing were clarified what did not happen was an apology or an acknowledgement of how this happened. Nothing was offered but when asked for a discount, my friend was given the locals discount. She is a local anyway and had never been asked about this either. Leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth after 5 years of bringing people there. To be fair I did not mention this but I feel they could have done a bit more to make her happy given she is a local and looking to rent once or twice more this season. I feel badly they did not do a bit more and that I referred her to a negative experience. Owning up to our part in a snafu is always important. Pointing out the customer's mistake doesn't make for a satisfying experience. I still believe the rental fees were fair but the experience was simply - you made a mistake, that's the fee, oh ok since you are complaining perhaps we'll offer you the locals' discount, oh well that's all. Sorry, not good enough. The rest is great, this, not so much.

neil o, Owner at GearUp, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Hi Civia V,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for your continued support over the years to Gear Up. We are sorry you felt our staff did not deal with this in a satisfactory manner however in our defence, as you noted, your friend made a reservation for a Sport Ski package including a helmet and insurance which comes to a total of $45. She deselected the skis on the online reservation form which brought the price down to $27. Upon arriving at the store she rented the whole package - skis, boots, poles, helmet and damage insurance and when scanning all these items the price comes to $45 (excluding tax). Regardless we are sorry for any ill feelings and please let your friend know I would like to offer her a free rental the next time she comes to the store.

Owner,
Mike Meilicke

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We rented cramp ons for a winter hike- definitely recommend- people were slipping everywhere and we had no problems at all & made it to The summit (not many decided to try that day due to ice)

neil o, Manager at GearUp, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Hi lbrown1141, thank you for a great review! We are glad you liked the crampons!

Reviewed 14 March 2018

The whole experience couldn't have been any easier. Great location,easy to find and park on the way into Banff. Allowed us to avoid big queues in Banff resort. Canmore itself is a beautiful town so it was great to have a look around on the way to our hotel. Staff were incredibly helpful and went out of their way to ensure we had the best gear and were properly kitted out before heading to the mountains. No pushy sales staff and the company offered great value for money. Would definitely use gear-up again and would thoroughly recommend them. Overall, a really positive experience. Thank you!

Date of experience: December 2017
neil o, Manager at GearUp, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Hi nicolabilly1,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of our store, it is really appreciated!

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Gear up has great customer service, economical prices, and super convenient hours. Great place that I would highly recommend!

Date of experience: February 2018
neil o, Manager at GearUp, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Hi Andrea9665,

Thank you for the great review!

Reviewed 8 March 2018

Equipment was standard; reasonable price; good parking near the shop; good drop off and pick-up hours. Reserved on-line in advance however that seemed to have no relevance when I picked up; had to go thru entire rental process again. Female staff member who helped me in the morning was rude, condescending, totally uninterested in helping me find the correct size of boots and skis; absolutely no interest in problem solving. Her customer service skills and interest in customer support/satisfaction were extremely poor at best. Fellow who helped me when I dropped off was engaging, pleasant and eager to discuss my experience/satisfaction with the gear. His customer service skills were significantly better. I would rent again from GearUp, primarily because of the ease of parking and hours for pick-up/drop/off. If all staff were like the morning female staff member, I would not rent again from them.

1  Thank Edmonton017
neil o, Manager at GearUp, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2018

Hello Edmonton017,

We appreciate you taking the time to review GearUp. We are glad you were happy with the equipment, pricing, parking and our hours, however we were very sorry to hear your experience with one of our staff members was disappointing as we take great pride in providing excellent customer service - your concerns have been noted.

As for going through the whole rental process even with a reservation, that is our policy - regardless of a reservation every customer must fill out a waiver and try on equipment before leaving to ensure it is the right fit, as in your case you had to try on different boots before getting the correct size.

We do hope to see you back at GearUp in the future.