“Totally Outstanding”
Review of Duyung Baru

Duyung Baru
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Prime liveaboard in Labuan Bajo (Komodo National Park) - operating in Komodo since 1998 Small groups of max 6 guests, great food (Yani Korth) and unbelievable diving!
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

Absolutely fabulous. One of the best live-a-boards that we have ever stayed on. The traditional wooden yacht is beautiful & extremely comfortable. With just three double cabins it's also very personalized. Yannie & her crew were always very attentive, friendly & knowledgable.
Yannie is an incredible cook, each meal is freshly prepared & home cooked. (Making her own bread & fresh noodles amongst many things. There is a mix of Indonesian & Western dishes, always nicely presented & always plenty for everyone.
We were diving in the Komodo sea & we were not disappointed, the diving there really is spectacular, lots of fish & beautiful corals & good visibility. The diving can be challenging at times but we always felt very safe in the hands of our dive masters/guides, who always gave very detailed briefings & instructions for safety. We prefer to dive with nitrox & pre-requested it when we made the booking. In between dives there is plenty of time to rest & relax on the yacht, Sun or shade there is plenty of both provided.
From our experience we highly recommend this live-a-board.

1  Thank Jan B

Reviewed 5 July 2017

Our experience was fantastic. Being on a boat for only 6 guests/divers has a LOT of benefits. First, the space in the cabins is way more than you'd expect. The 3 cabins are beautiful with separate toiler and shower. The mattresses are so comfy and the AC is quite and makes for a great night's sleep. Yani's cooking was spectacular. You get fresh bread baked daily for breakfast, charcoal BBQ and homemade ice-cream on the boat! The food was always delicious and plenty. Having a small group aso means the diving can be tailored to accommodate everyone's expectations. If you're planning on going to Komodo, this is the way to go!

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

Spent a week diving awesome Komodo sites (third LOB trip to Komodo and our favorite!!). Slept like a baby, our cabin is beautifully finished and had everything you need. The bed was so comfortable, and good AC too! Yani makes delicious food--it is home-cooked healthy and tasty! It is yummy local cuisine! I couldn't resist the fresh daily bread, local fruit and charcoal BBQ!! I strongly recommend the small group LOB. (I have done many large-group LOB and the experience is more cookie cutter). With a small group, we got around quicker and were able to tailor our diving to please everyone. Flexibility reigns! The entire experience is much more personalized and rewarding, and I strongly recommend you travel on Duyung Baru if you want to get the most out of your trip to Komodo.

1  Thank 853canadians
Reviewed 12 March 2017

Can't tell you how excited we were to come across the manta ray cleaning station. We'd heard about it and managed to convey the message to the crew what we were after so they made it a priority to see if we could make it there considering the weather.
Without warning, we were given the nod that we were there and suddenly we had our snorkel and masks on, jumping overboard and snorkelling along the top to see the manta rays.
Some of them were 3 metres across and without sound, glided through the water with a sense of ease and freedom. It took my breath away. I have never felt so close to nature as I did than for that half hour snorkelling through the ocean.
It was the peace and tranquility. The simplicity of it all. The mantas were not afraid of us although I was a wee bit hesitant with them. We were told to give them lots of space which we did and they would glide right up next to us and then roll and turn showing us their underbelly. Awesome. Just awesome.
Even better is that this memory has stuck with my kids. It's one of their highlights and they appreciate what nature has to offer and how we need to protect it.

1  Thank UrbanDrifter
Reviewed 29 October 2016

I had the great pleasure from 10/15-23 / 2016 to join one of the owner's, Yani Korth on her Phinisi schooner, Duyung Baru (25 meters ) on a live aboard in the Komoto Island region. She and her crew of 4 gave me and 5 other divers a trip full of memories. They all worked well as a team with warmth, consideration for special needs, and each with expertise. Bon Appetite (Enak) best describes the food. Her special fresh baked breads, grilled seafood, various local vegetables, and desserts never ceased to amaze our palettes. I was able to join her in the kitchen for a few lessons in regional food. She also found time for a to die for massage.
Dive Master, Simone, gave thorough briefings as well as adept at reading the currents. The diving was challenging so experience a necessity. The waters were world class with sightings of macro and palagic. The Chauldren also known as the "Shotgun" will test your skills and courage! My goddess, Simone, guided me through with a helping hand! Hendrick, the skiff operator, had a smile painted on his face which will save me from the 1000 words I could use to describe this experience. Andi never tired of my special requests due to diet and age(67). Captain Merajap, kept our course prompt and without incident. Professionalism, humor, socializing , and family warmth best describes my experience . We also had a memorable time at Rinca checking out the Komoto dragons and a panoramic view for a Kodak moment. My new dive friends from Austria were part of the frosting on the cake. Their expertise, humor, warmth and friendship represented the peace I find throughout my worldly travels.

2  Thank Iamwoman1949