“Amazing Boat, Crew, Diving and Food!!!”
Review of Duyung Baru

Duyung Baru
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Prime liveaboard in Labuan Bajo (Komodo National Park) - operating in Komodo since 1998 Small groups of max 6 guests, great food (Yani Korth) and unbelievable diving!
Reviewed 5 July 2017

Our experience was fantastic. Being on a boat for only 6 guests/divers has a LOT of benefits. First, the space in the cabins is way more than you'd expect. The 3 cabins are beautiful with separate toiler and shower. The mattresses are so comfy and the AC is quite and makes for a great night's sleep. Yani's cooking was spectacular. You get fresh bread baked daily for breakfast, charcoal BBQ and homemade ice-cream on the boat! The food was always delicious and plenty. Having a small group aso means the diving can be tailored to accommodate everyone's expectations. If you're planning on going to Komodo, this is the way to go!

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

Spent a week diving awesome Komodo sites (third LOB trip to Komodo and our favorite!!). Slept like a baby, our cabin is beautifully finished and had everything you need. The bed was so comfortable, and good AC too! Yani makes delicious food--it is home-cooked healthy and tasty! It is yummy local cuisine! I couldn't resist the fresh daily bread, local fruit and charcoal BBQ!! I strongly recommend the small group LOB. (I have done many large-group LOB and the experience is more cookie cutter). With a small group, we got around quicker and were able to tailor our diving to please everyone. Flexibility reigns! The entire experience is much more personalized and rewarding, and I strongly recommend you travel on Duyung Baru if you want to get the most out of your trip to Komodo.

1  Thank 853canadians
Reviewed 12 March 2017

Can't tell you how excited we were to come across the manta ray cleaning station. We'd heard about it and managed to convey the message to the crew what we were after so they made it a priority to see if we could make it there considering the weather.
Without warning, we were given the nod that we were there and suddenly we had our snorkel and masks on, jumping overboard and snorkelling along the top to see the manta rays.
Some of them were 3 metres across and without sound, glided through the water with a sense of ease and freedom. It took my breath away. I have never felt so close to nature as I did than for that half hour snorkelling through the ocean.
It was the peace and tranquility. The simplicity of it all. The mantas were not afraid of us although I was a wee bit hesitant with them. We were told to give them lots of space which we did and they would glide right up next to us and then roll and turn showing us their underbelly. Awesome. Just awesome.
Even better is that this memory has stuck with my kids. It's one of their highlights and they appreciate what nature has to offer and how we need to protect it.

Reviewed 29 October 2016

I had the great pleasure from 10/15-23 / 2016 to join one of the owner's, Yani Korth on her Phinisi schooner, Duyung Baru (25 meters ) on a live aboard in the Komoto Island region. She and her crew of 4 gave me and 5 other divers a trip full of memories. They all worked well as a team with warmth, consideration for special needs, and each with expertise. Bon Appetite (Enak) best describes the food. Her special fresh baked breads, grilled seafood, various local vegetables, and desserts never ceased to amaze our palettes. I was able to join her in the kitchen for a few lessons in regional food. She also found time for a to die for massage.
Dive Master, Simone, gave thorough briefings as well as adept at reading the currents. The diving was challenging so experience a necessity. The waters were world class with sightings of macro and palagic. The Chauldren also known as the "Shotgun" will test your skills and courage! My goddess, Simone, guided me through with a helping hand! Hendrick, the skiff operator, had a smile painted on his face which will save me from the 1000 words I could use to describe this experience. Andi never tired of my special requests due to diet and age(67). Captain Merajap, kept our course prompt and without incident. Professionalism, humor, socializing , and family warmth best describes my experience . We also had a memorable time at Rinca checking out the Komoto dragons and a panoramic view for a Kodak moment. My new dive friends from Austria were part of the frosting on the cake. Their expertise, humor, warmth and friendship represented the peace I find throughout my worldly travels.

2  Thank Iamwoman1949
Reviewed 26 October 2016

Gosh, where do you start? Firstly, a look below the deck reveals a hold that is neat, well organized, and totally functional. Above,the galley and dining room are well designed. The food prepared by Yani, one of the owners is beyond exllent. Every meal is a culinary delight;breakfast,lunch and dinner are prepared with care and attention to presentation. Deckspace is also roomy and function. There are shaded areas and sundecks,if one cares to work on their tan. Ah yes, and the diving. Briefings are thorough and accurate with detailed drawings and explanations, including contingency plans. If you REALLY want to dive Komodo, you must be prepared to put forth some effort. The diving is exilerating and challenging, so come prepared to use all your skills.You willnot be dissapointed. In fact, you will come away a better,more competent diver. However, what really sets Duyung Baru apart from the rest are the friendships you will develop, and the camaraderie that exists between the other divers, the crew, and the owners. It is truly an intimate experience with only 6 divers and 6 crew. After my trip I had 11 new friends, I will remember for a long time. The diving, both macro and palagic, was world class. Remember, in this world, no effort, no reward. If you put inthe effort, you will be rewarded with both friendship and an unforgettable scuba diving experience. Nuff said.

2  Thank akdivebud