“Good food as usual”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

I am a regular with my wife and elderly mum usually use the 50% voucher meal offer have had lamb shank gammon and fish chips all very good value , agree service and tidying could be improved beers a little overpriced, will use again , I tend to avoid school holidays and bank holidays as it does get really busy and cramped

Reviewed 28 May 2018

Good really good nice and hot, service on the other hand no so good. Waited to be seated in restaurant was ignored by malehow just stood writing not even look up, so went to the other room and order from the bar. The beer I ordered was out after 1/4 of a pint was pulled so had to have a different choice, coffee order for my parent did not come then after complaining it was brought with no milk .

1  Thank Stephen O
Lindsey G, Marketing Executive at The Ancient Mariner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2018

Thank you for taking time to review the Ancient Mariner.

We are please that you enjoyed you meal.

Your comments with regards to the service have been noted and measures put in place to avoid this happening again.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

We have popped in for a meal, but ended up just having one drink and left, because the place looked horrific. Staff were just standing at the end of the bar and chatting when there were quite a few messy tables to clean and a perfect opportunity to sort it out as it was not busy.. This bugged me so much I just wanted to get up from my seat and clean it for them. All in all the place is crying for a bit of a refurb or at least a few touch ups. It is rund down and off-putting.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Your comments have been noted and will be raised with the management team.

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

We came visited here for a quick bite to eat before a walk along the beach. We wish we hadn't bothered. It took 20 mins to be served at the bar and then to order food you have to go to a separate till area so we queued again for another ten minutes. We sat outside and not a single table had been cleaned or emptied. It took half an hour for three small bowl of soggy, cold, overpriced chips to arrive.

There were very few staff about and the ones that were there were very slow to serve. We stayed for about two hours most of which was waiting time thanks to the queues and again, none of the outside tables were emptied of their half eaten plates of food.

It's a shame as the place is in a lovely location (if you can get parked) and has so much potential.

5  Thank katy l
Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

Firstly, we parked across the street and wandered over, there's a sign pointing towards what you'd think is an entrance only this entrance is cordoned off. The only open door leads down a corridor and there are no obvious signs that it is an entrance from the outside. We braved it and found this is in fact the entrance. Perhaps the management/owner could consider investing in a sign. That's not all they should invest in, the interior is grim! Seriously dated and shabby. The location is such that this establishment should be making enough that investing in its upkeep is possible, this doesn't appear to be something that the owners are bothering to spend money on. We opted to sit outside to eat as it was a nice day and the decked area offers views over the beach. I'm sorry to say that is the only positive of the experience. Both my husband and I had a chicken breast based meal. These were delivered within 8 minutes of ordering, that is far less time than it takes to cook a chicken breast from fresh. Mine was so unbelievably dry and hard it was inedible. As the food is paid upfront check backs seem to be unimportant, the business has received your money and therefore no longer cares whether you are happy or not, so I had to go in search of someone to complain to. I received a refund and a 50% discount (on a £30 or more spend, lol as if I'm returning!!) The manageress reassured me several times that the chicken is cooked that fast as they have some magical cooker that can cook a chicken breast fully from scratch in less that 8 minutes, although, she did also say that they always have chicken cooking as it is a popular item therefore highlighting the issue, how long had my piece of chicken actually been on the heat?? I'd say quite a while judging by how hard and dry it was. I urge anyone reading this, please do not bother you're wasting your money going here! I'm not a tourist, we live not too far away but haven't been here before. Wish we'd never bothered.

3  Thank ecpampling