Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews preserves the cottages fridge freezer well equipped kitchen comfortable stay jacuzzi olives reception baboons mountains laptop accommodation weekend art stove gem deck
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 February 2021

I spent a night in Melkbos cottage after 2 days camping in the Cederberg.
It was just what I needed...
The cotage has everything you need and such a nice view on the olive grove and mountains...
The staff is very proffessional and friendly and offered me to deliver my dinner in my cottage as I was the only guest at the restaurant that evening. Eating good and fresh food with such a vien in the sunset light was such a treat...
In regards to activity, I swam and kayaked in the river. The stretch is not that long, but it is refreshing and very peacefull.
A picnic at the waterfall after a 20 minutes walk to reach it was really nice as well.

A very nice and secluded spot!

Date of stay: February 2021
Reviewed 3 July 2020

I staid one night in eco house Melkbos at Mount Ceder and I absolutely loved it!!

I have to say that I was a bit worried upfront about the facilities. This was not necessary because the little house is having everything you need for a comfortable stay: a hot shower, a comfortable bed, a little stove and an indoor braai to keep you warm! There are no electrical plug points, but this is easily solved by bringing a powerbank yourself. However, who needs a phone or a laptop since you're in the middle of such a beautiful landscape!?

The staff is super friendly and willing to help. I can definitely recommend the food they offer as well the outdoor activities. Marelize is a friendly, well experienced guide who can show you the most beautiful spots including the stories behind.

Furthermore, they have taken proper measures according to the Covid regulations.

Date of stay: June 2020
Reviewed 18 February 2020

The Mount Ceder resort itself is lovely, and situated within a magnificent landscape, but February is not a good time for the Cederberg! Totally forgot to consider the weather when booking a birding weekend here for my mom and I.

Leeustert, the cottage we stayed in, was nice and clean with a suitable self-catering kitchen and two inside fireplaces (perfect for winter). Unfortunately the river running in front of the cottage was dry in Feb. At the time of booking I missed seeing that it didn't have an aircon. And I saw afterwards that some units do have aircons. With temperatures reaching well in excess of 40 degrees they should definitely have aircons in all units or at least there should have been fans if aircons are being installed gradually. They are graded a 4 start establishment so this should be included in all units. We slow-cooked ourselves when attempting to have a Sunday afternoon nap. At 22.30 i went to bed with two ice-packs shoved in my sleepwear which I replaced again just after midnight. Fortunately the fridge freezer was very new and working perfectly.

We had dinner in the restaurant on the first night and breakfast on the last morning. I can highly recommend both. They sell chilled wine and beer from the region, cold drinks and lots of yummy preserves and olive products at reception. When load-shedding hit the area they were prepared with a generator.

I got a slow puncture. Fortunately, the gentleman working the front desk at reception, was too happy to assist in changing it for me ... in his neat, clean clothes!

The designated swimming area in the river was so welcome and refreshing. The hike to the waterfall was very scenic. Unfortunately, being February, the waterfall was but a trickle but still a nice and easy hike to do (not in the midday heat though). The hike to the rock paintings is also worth doing, just be mindful of the resident baboons. You'll be entering their territory.

Overall Mount Ceder is a great place to go a relax, swim, hike, read, mountain bike, do bird-watching and admire the billions of stars from. The cottages are spaced well apart from each other.

Room tip: Choose a cottage with aircon if you go in summer. Descriptions are on their website.
Date of stay: February 2020
1  Thank Emielke v
Onguma, MD at Mount Ceder Self Catering Guest Houses, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2020

Dear Emielke V,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Yes, February in the Cederberg can be challenging if you do not have air-conditioning!
You unknowingly stayed in one of our eco-houses that are completely off the grid and they unfortunately do not have enough power to run an air conditioner or fan. Air conditioners and fans are power hungry and is a challenge to run of a solar system.

There are systems being developed that can run of solar and we are looking at these options, but unfortunately we do have to wait a little bit longer for technology to catch up.
If you study the website, you will notice that all the other houses (except 3 eco-houses) do have air-conditioning.

I am glad that you enjoyed the river and next time round you will notice that we have made the river area even more inviting.
The restaurant staff appreciates your recommendation as they have gone to a lot of trouble to improve the menu and restaurant experience.

We look forward to seeing you again and I am sure the team will ensure that you book in one of the air-conditioned units.
Best regards

Fritz

Reviewed 25 November 2019 via mobile

I was there with family coccupying 2 cottages. What a wonderful experience! One is immediately transported from hectic city life to a wonderful tranquility.
Cottages were well equipped and well thought out.
The rooms were very comfortable with White, white, white towels and bedding. Everything was clean.
The well equipped kitchen easy to operate. We swam in the river and generally got a good rest.
If you are looking for a place to get away from it all and as a bonus see a night skye packed with stars, this is the place to go.
Highly recommended. Just take enough mosquito repellant.

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 12 November 2019

Totally secluded, beautiful natural setting with cottages far apart from one another. Cottages are well appointed. Ours was a few metres from the river where we had a lovely swim. The night sky is spectacular. Best part was when they arrived with our dinner and set the table for us on the patio. Beautifully cooked lamb with 3 salads, a springroll starter and granadilla cheesecake for desert. All sublime. I love this place!

Room tip: Taaibos cottage is very close to the river with beautiful views across the mountains
Date of stay: November 2019
Dream64537587747, MD at Mount Ceder Self Catering Guest Houses, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2019

Dear Rinette,
Thank you for the kind review!

We could not put it any better... "Slap bang in the middle of paradise!" well said!

We look forward to seeing you again at Mount Ceder and showing you some very sublime and subtle changes that we are working on !
best regards