“A good short stop over place”
Review of Bar Lupulus

Bar Lupulus
Ranked #367 of 3,001 Restaurants in Ottawa
Description: Craft beer and natural wine bar serving locally sourced, Mediterranean inspired dishes. 20 rotating taps, 20 Wines by the glass and tonnes of funky bottles.
Reviewed 2 May 2018

My daughter, grand daughter and I popped into Bar Lupulus for a late morning snack.

We ordered two dishes with our tea and coffee. There was a dish called Pumpkin with root vegetables, and another with mushroom and cheese in a white sauce on crispy flatbread topped with special tender greens.

Both were unique and very tasty.
This place has easy access for walkers and wheelchairs. It has a nice open space.

Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

We were visiting relatives in Ottawa and wanted to try a new place for dinner. Open Table’s reviews and ratings were compelling and we reserved a table. We were not disappointed! Although the food offerings were somewhat limited, we loved every dish we ordered. The five small plates the three of us ordered were unique and delicious. We had more than enough food. The beers were good too. The atmosphere was fun, lively but very loud. Every table was full and so were we. The hostess was outstanding as was our server.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Fantastic beers, lots of interesting sours on tap, which paired nicely with the food we ordered. It was VERY busy and VERY loud but service was excellent and attentive. Four of us shared the brussel sprouts (to die for, guanciale4lyfe!), the polpo (over cooked octopus, undercooked potatoes, a letdown), the oxtail (I could have had three more plates and had my stomach explode gladly!), the cauliflower (sweet and lovely), the cappellini (perfect!), and the agnolotti (sublime filling, not a great cook on the pasta itself). We sampled 10 beers from the list and each was new and different. A great neighbourhood spot!

Reviewed 24 March 2018

Went with friends for drinks, however this is more of a restaurant than a bar. Quite a good selection of beers, but most of them are IPAs, saison or sour, not many simple beers on the menu. They also have a few wines by the glass. Good service. Open concept kitchen means our clothes smelled like fried fish when we came out. Quite noisy, difficult to have a conversation. Very crowded on a Wednesday night, would recommend making a reservation.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Loved my first experience at Lupulus. Arrived to find a Left Field tap takeover. Sat at the bar for brunch and the owner Anthony was manning the bar. His suggestions were great as we tried an array of excellent Ontario craft beers - from sours to NEIPAs and Flemish reds to imperial stout. Very impressed with the 21 taps they have here. Well curated by someone who knows good beer - so if you do to - you must visit.

As for the food, it was one of the best brunches I have had in the city. A buddy and I split a few of their Bennys. Two soaft poached eggs on a homemade English muffins atop shredded ham hock and mushrooms, with great homefires and side salad. The brown butter hollandaise was a perfect complement to the runny eggs. Not too thick, it was definitely made from scratch from a cook with a light touch! Delish. Seasoned well on its own, I always ask for ketchup with my eggs. Theirs is a homemade sauce with smoky yet familiar ketchup-y taste (not like some homemade "ketchups" that have a more like a romesco-like consistency). Also, their homemade hot sauce was one of the most flavourful I have had in a long time. More than good heat, it did the trick nicely on the potatoes.

I recommend this place highly for great beers and food. It is busy, so it is loud, and you need to make a reservation. I can't wait to return for lunch and dinner. To cap it off, a very friendly visitor named Emily from Montreal helped make the overall experience even better! Cheers!