“Will not return”
Review of Persis Grill

Persis Grill
Ranked #245 of 2,952 Restaurants in Ottawa
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

We went on a Sunday night to celebrate my aunt’s birthday as a group of seven. The server did not offer any description of when he dropped off some complimentary lukewarm, tasteless (potato?) soup. The bread was cold.

He did not offer any beverages to the table before asking if we were ready to order - I had to flag him down to ask about their beverage selection to be able to order, as there was not a drink list given to us. It took 15 minutes to get an iced tea and a Persian tea to the table.

While I could have handled the less than mediocre service, I found him to be quite rude. My aunt asked for no rice with her meal - she opted for extra bread, and she was very clear when she ordered.

Everyone’s meals came, my aunt sat there waiting for a good ten minutes before receiving hers - and it came with rice! Exactly what she had asked to take off her meal. When she asked him where the bread was, he said “you tell me!” ... why would she have to explain herself again/or at all when she was so clear? He DID end up bringing her bread but his attitude was a bit much for me.

Other than the poor service, the food was okay. My sister and I shared the lamb chops and the ghormeh sabzi. The lamb chops were fine, but the ghormeh sabzi lacked proper seasoning and was overwhelmed by the lemony flavour. There were four tiny cubes of beef floating in the stew. Not good value for the price.

I was excited to have a persian restaurant close to home, but I will most likely not return as this experience was so negative.

Reviewed 28 April 2018

Have been to Persis 3 x. The fourth time ...was not up to par. Ordered glass of white wine. There was no white wine..period....sold out. Ordered Hummus ...sold out. This was 6 pm on a Friday night. Unacceptable. Meal was just okay. Had out of town guest with us and was quite embarrassed. Actually felt sorry for the server who had to deal with this.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

My family and I came in on a Saturday night, they were pretty full, but the went out of the way to accomodate our family of 4. Waiter came with soup and bread, which was quite good, we all ordered an appetizer, I ordered the olives which were good, but lots, maybe too much, may have been better mixed with a platter of pickled vegetables for some variety, but my daughters calamari was excellent, and my husbands yogurt and cucumber dish was very tasty, my son got the smoked eggplant, which he really enjoyed, it wasn't to my taste, but wasn't bad. For the main dish my son ordered the beef, which he quite enjoyed, and my daughter and husband ordered the lamb, which was really good, I ordered the chicken stew and was dissapointed, the chicken was very dry, even the sauce could not moisten it up, but the rice was excellent and so was the salad, the dressing was perfect, flavourfull without being over bearing. Nice big platters of food for main dishes. I had Persian tea and baclava for dessert, it was good, my daughter had the lava cake and ice cream which she really enjoyed, and my son had the saffron ice cream which was really good, I would go back because the service was good and except for my chicken stew, the food was very good, I would just get the calamari and the lamb next time.

Reviewed 11 February 2018

Best Middle Eastern cuisine I have ever had. We didn’t realize how big this restaurant really is - the outside of it is deceiving. They have a good variety menu and we really enjoyed our visit there.

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

As soon as we sat down, we received a warm soup and some "pita like" bread. My daughter and I ordered the kebab plate for 2. The 3 types of kebab ( barg, koobideh and chicken) were all delicious! Not sure which one we preferred. Kebabs are served with tasty salad and fluffy persian rice.

We tried the home made safran ice cream... That must be an acquired taste... Not our favorite!

A great discovery close to home!