“Great vegetarian food”

The Sprout
Ranked #36 of 401 Restaurants in St. John's
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Cozy restaurant in the heart of downtown offering a variety of healthy choices. An oasis of amazing dishes for vegetarians and vegans.
Reviewed 31 May 2018

Visited on our first evening in St John’s and had a great early supper. There was a reasonable choice but the actual quality and taste were good. When the staff were questioned, their response was informative and helpful. Staff were very friendly and cost was reasonable, especially for good sized portions- in fact slightly too large!

Reviewed 23 October 2017

As stated in a previous review I visit the Sprout every time I am in St Johns. My last visit in July was less than satisfactory, but I wanted to give them one more chance as they used to be so good! I was there this past week and I have to say, I officially give up on the Sprout. The service was marginally better than last visit, but considering this was one of our most expensive vegan meals in the city, the food was actually pathetic.

My husband had the soup of the day which was adequate, but his water came with a thick white dog hair attached. I had the daily special which was a portobello taco with black bean spread. It was one of the worst things I've attempted to eat, and considering I have eaten vegan food in 50+ countries, that's saying something. It was nicely presented and the salsa was good, but the portobellos seemed to be marinated in something sour/acidic which completely overpowered the dish and left a terrible aftertaste. I couldn't even eat half of it, which my husband commented 'never happens' as I take my eating very seriously.

After 7 years of faithful visits, I won't be returning.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

The decor is nothing to write about,but then again,I didn't go there for the paint and floors.The food however, was fresh and delicious. The service was friendly and efficient.I also went back for an early lunch prior to departing St Johns.

Reviewed 27 September 2017

Very nice vegetarian restaurant, reasonably priced, with a decent enough selection of main course options. I had the chickpea curry which was excellent (particularly the chutney they add to it), and presented quite nicely. My wife and I shared the soup of the day (cajun tomoato) which was also very good. The desserts were tempting but we managed to resist! Definitely a nice option for a healthy and tasty meal, especially since Newfoundland fare (from my limited experience) tends to be heavier on the meat, fish, starch (and some root vegetables), and light on greens.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

My family went there yesterday, waited for 20 minutes to get served, close to an hour to get the food, then to top it all off brought out what was supposed to be gluten free bread was actually regular bread. What a disappointing experience, will not go back.