“Wowsers, such a lovely treat”
Review of The Sprout

The Sprout
Ranked #37 of 405 Restaurants in St. John's
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Cozy restaurant in the heart of downtown offering a variety of healthy choices. An oasis of amazing dishes for vegetarians and vegans.
Reviewed 17 September 2017

My daughter and I were in town for a week and this lovely little restaurant was a real gem. The staff were happy, professional and the food was excellent. Large portions of deliciousness.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

What distinguishes between a good restaurant and great restaurant?

The answer “Details”.

Let’s start with something good. I went along with one of my friends to this place to find out if this positive anomaly of a place justifies its place in this horrific culinary desert.

To start with we had a server who seems genuinely happy to be where she was and it reflected in her disposition but that was the last of the positive factor and it was all downhill from there.

The place.

The vibrancy with which it invites you from outside just vanishes from within. Seem’s like the place was put up in hurry without any thoughts given to the aesthetics, layout or design. Yes it seems spacious but cold, we stepped in from a foggy St. John’s streets to find in ourselves in a ‘Charles Dicken’s’ run-down tavern.

When you are stand alone of your type, you need to set the bar so high that anyone who dares to come up to your completion should shudder with meeting the standards you set for your food. My sympathies are with the chef who is catering to palates of folks whose greatest culinary undertaking stops at ketchup, no wonder you see positive reviews out here. These people don’t know any better; but that's where you as a chef come in.

Stop putting a million things on the menu and getting every single thing wrong, instead put 7-8 things but make it outstanding. Vegetarian food which you need not be bland, boring and outright disgusting, if you find the vegetarian dishes from the Indian sub-continent too exotic then that a page from ‘Palestine’ and ‘Morroco’.

What we had..
Apple Burger… Dry and uninspiring
Pad Thai – An insult to culinary high post of ‘Thailand’

When you know your serving room is cold, you don’t serve food on cold plates and especially ‘French Fries’. Educate your staff so that they know what are you putting in your food, that’s where the cut from pages of offering down to selected few comes handy, let your server taste every single thing on offer to make them have an opinion of what you make. It’s a bad sign when she stands there scratching her head and makes a statement “I don’t know what is gone in it but I heard it is good”…. REALLY????

Look, I commend you folks for setting up this for people who want good choices but you need to pick your game up. Make your food exciting, flavourful and a celebration of life as it should be, turn the place to make it a home away from home.

What makes me the authority to write this post ???

Let’s just say, I have been to more countries than all the number of dishes you have on your menu card and I have tasted quite a great food to know what qualifies and what does not.

1  Thank DomSan
Reviewed 15 August 2017

Our meals were good. We had Pad Thai and a cashew burger. No complaints there. The decor wouldn't suit all. The building materials and furniture seem to have been repurposed. Our server had short-term memory issues. She came back to check that she had our order right then she got it wrong anyway. The washroom I used was 6/10 and the paper towel dispenser was empty. I would probably eat there again.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

Since 2010 I have been going to The Sprout every time I visit St Johns. It has always been such a great place on the Island for vegan food, and I am always excited to eat there. Unfortunately, my last visit was less than satisfactory and I am so disappointed!

My mum and I had lunch there two weeks ago. The service was poor and the food was average. My main arrived before my appetiser (had been asked if we wanted appetisers before the mains, which we did), and I had to remind the server to bring them. Then I discovered my Sprout Poutine had dairy cheese (specifically asked for vegan version), so that had to be whisked away and replaced, without much in the way of an apology. The poutine had very little flavour and I had to add table salt to eat it, something I rarely do. The vegan Caesar salad I had as an appetiser tasted nothing like a Caesar (perhaps you guys can check out the Minimalist Baker recipe for dressing?) and the croutons were stale. My mum's curry was nice but over the top / unnecessarily spicy and we are people who LOVE spicy food.

It was one of our more expensive vegan meals out in St John's and unfortunately, one of the worst. I'll be back next trip to St Johns, in the hopes that they will have sorted out their service and food quality to the standard it once was!

Reviewed 31 July 2017

Went here for supper with a friend. It was my first time visiting the Sprout. Since I am on a new GF, dairy free, red meat free diet, there aren't many restaurants that offer something with all these specifications. However I was glad that they had so many options to pick from, along with being able to customize others! We had the chips and salsa as an appy and we were expecting salsa and hummus as that was what the menu said; however it came with two kinds of salsa (a spicy tomato salsa and a very oniony/peppery salsa). We didn't enjoy it as much as we thought we would. My friend had the enchilada and really liked it. I had the GF pad thai and it was very filling! I came with tofu which I had never had before but I didn't like it. Overall it was a nice visit and I will return again to try a different menu item.