“Birthday dinner”

20:00
Ranked #8 of 160 Restaurants in Penticton
Price range: US$12 - US$29
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Next time your journey takes you through the beautiful Okanagan Valley in Southern British Columbia, step off Penticton's Main Street and into a world of Greek enchantment, beauty, and outstanding flavours at Theo's Restaurant. Enjoy authentic baklava, souvlaki, lamb and more Mediterranean inspired cuisine. For first time visitors or those who don't get here often you can't go wrong with one of our famous platter's. Family style dining which includes a Greek Salad for two! Essentially the best way to experience Theo's! Chef David and Owner Gregory Welcome you! NOW FEATURING TRADITIONAL BELLY DANCING ON Friday and Saturday Evenings.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Went had had a birthday supper as it had been awhile since my family and I visited this restaurant and all I can say is that it was ok.

Date of visit: May 2020
Write a reviewReviews (1,108)

Reviewed 28 March 2021 via mobile

It’s an icon. Need to come when visiting penticton. The moussaka is my favourite dish and it comes with the lemon potatoes.

Reviewed 17 March 2021 via mobile

We have been coming for years - beautiful ambiance, friendly staff. Especially love the lamb, rabbit and salmon dishes. Decent local wine selection; would like to see them expand it. Rack of lamb is best I’ve ever had!

Reviewed 13 March 2021

When in Penticton, we come to Theos for years now. Great food, such a cozy atmosphere and one of the few great family owned restaurants left in a world of chains

Reviewed 1 March 2021

My wife and I have always wanted to go to Theo’s restaurant since the reviews were so good. I guess the reviews must be from family, because the food was disgusting and the service was atrocious! First we were sat at a “table” closest to the door which allowed freezing cold air to rush past ever time the door opened. As for the “table” it was a cement bench with pillows on it. NOT COMFORTABLE! We would have moved, but they were booked solid. Second, after waiting almost 15 minutes for the waitress to acknowledge us, we ordered Caesar’s for a drink. Immediately after taking a sip, both of our mouths felt like they were on fire due to way too much Tabasco. We notified the waitress who took my drink away only to return with the same drink with a separate glass of Clamato juice and recommended that I fill up my glass to cut the heat. To bring my glass back was not only a health violation, but especially in these covid times was an extreme disregard for mine or the other patrons in the restaurant. My wife and I ordered the Mediterranean and BBQ Rib dinners. The food arrived in a timely manner and appeared delicious, however, after my first bite of the Mediterranean ribs, I was disgusted. It tasted like they had pored the whole bottle of oregano on them. They were inedible. My wife’s BBQ ribs tasted like bullseyes BBQ sauce was poured on them and served. The rice was unflavoured, the vegetables were not cooked thoroughly and boiled potatoes with no flavour. The waitress was more interested in clearing our plates rather than asking if everything was ok. When asked if we were done with almost everything still remaining on the plate, we said yes and began to explain why we hadn’t ate the meal when she scooped up the plates and left. I honestly felt like cattle in this restaurant, get them in, feed them and then send them on their way. For a meal that cost almost $100 for 2 people, this restaurant should be ashamed of themselves for trying to pass this slop off as authentic Greek cuisine.

Date of visit: February 2021
2  Thank Yvonne L
Gregory Condonopoulos, Owner at Theo's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2021

FULL MOON CAUSES HANGRYNESS

Dear Lady Yvonne:
Thank you for your diatribe on your safe dine-in experience. Your attempt to win a Pulitzer prize for fiction is not only shameless but full of complete rubbish. Essentially your entire review is an overly aggressive attempt to mislead the public and a misuse of the Trip Advisor platform. It did however provide me and staff with some much needed comic relief during the Pandemic. So Many people rely on TA for balanced reviews. You have taken a LOT of liberties to which I will now comment on as follows.

Let’s chat about your table. Arguably you sat at one of the most sought-after spots in our entire restaurant in a cozy corner bench with feather pillows facing a natural wood burning fire with blazing fir! To mislead people in thinking it is a terrible spot is an idiotic notion. I am sorry the seats did not suit your delicate bottom! You also mislead the readers in suggesting it is right beside the door. Well; I have news for you lady. It is 30 feet from the front door (yes, I just measured it for fun)! If you were uncomfortable all you had to do is, ask for another table. Yes, as simple as that!

Your food. Well honestly Greeks don’t generally eat pork back ribs. In fact, there is nothing Greek about it. The ribs are on the menu for guests who do not generally enjoy Greek food. Nonetheless our ribs get rave reviews and are slowly braised for over an hour with special herbs and spices. They fall off the bone. Lady we do not boil potatoes and the fresh vegetables are cooked al dente (you can Google that). The rice pilaf is lightly seasoned so as not to rob flavours from the main dish. It makes me laugh for you to suggest that pork back ribs are being passed of as authentic Greek food, LOL.

Lady the only person you have to blame for your experience is yourself. Your server did a quality check on you and you robbed her of the opportunity to fix your problem so how about you take some responsibly for your own action? The young lady who cleared your plates is a 15-year-old busgirl on her 4th shift.

The pandemic has brought out the best and worst in people. I can see from your previous reviews (half of which are very unfavourable and hostile) that you are obviously a half glass full kind of gal. Here at Theo’s, we are doing our best during these difficult times. We have been putting ourselves at risk day in and day out to serve our valued guests so for you to suggest we have broken health guidelines and write such an outrageous review is the real “disgusting” thing. (That must be your favourite word). If you think we wake up every day to create a disgusting experience you are grossly mistaken.
I would rather stick souvlaki sticks in my eyes than apologize to you for your ignorant and bullying behavior. Lady your sense of entitlement during a pandemic is remarkable. You should be grateful that legacy restaurants like Theo’s exist to provide a short respite during difficult times. I see you even travelled all the way from Kamloops during a travel ban; seriously? Were you here visiting your sick mum?

As such, I have taken this matter up with the Chairman of the Board (me) and my Board of Directors (my staff) and it was unanimous decision. We hereby offer you a 5 – thumbs down for a lame attempt on trolling. We truly hope you enjoy your culinary dining adventures elsewhere.

“ Do not give dogs what is holy neither cast your pearls before swine.” Matthew 7:6

Gregory Condonopoulos, MBA