“Hopefully not the end!”

The George Alstonefield
Price range: HK$436 - HK$1,452
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Award winning restaurant serving elegantly prepared food; think laid back fine dining and a fantastic selection of wines. We really appreciate genuine and objective critique which is integral to our business and welcome all comments.
Reviewed 30 December 2023

It's disheartening to hear about the closure of The George. For years, it was a regular dining spot for us when we traveled from Uttoxeter. Unfortunately, the strain on profit margins became increasingly noticeable over time. This financial pressure led to a decline in the quality of the dining experience, eventually deterring us from continuing our visits. The chef and the team undoubtedly possessed talent, yet the lacking welcoming atmosphere and an open culture for feedback seemed to hinder the George's success. Despite some positive reviews, I can't help but wonder if our collective honesty about the underwhelming aspects, such as the lackluster tasting menu, could have instigated positive changes before many of us ceased our visits.

Moreover, the decision to restrict locals from dropping in for a drink proved to be a misstep, alienating a significant portion of the community. I sincerely hope that a new owner or manager recognizes this as an opportunity waiting to be seized. With the right approach and improvements, there's potential for this establishment to thrive once again. Staffordshire deserves a culinary gem with innovative menus and refined culinary techniques – a place that could truly attract and retain support from locals and travelers alike

Date of visit: February 2023
3  Thank HarryA956
The George, Owner at The George Alstonefield, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2024

Wow - just wow!

It has clearly escaped your notice that the hospitality industry is imploding and great places and operators are closing at an alarming rate. It is heartbreaking. Like us, this has nothing to do with them or their proposition, indeed many are at the top of their game. There was no decline in the experience at The George, we were just awarded 3 rosettes, one of only 3 establishments in Staffordshire, the only one in the Staffs Peak District!

VAT needs to drop.
Without service charge, your total bill is roughly:
20% VAT
30% food and drink cost
40% staff costs
That leaves 10% for rent and a short sighted brewery, energy, business rates, contracts and everything else. That's an impossible task, especially when energy prices are so high and we all have Covid debt to deal with plus households are having it tough - less people are going out - end of. Even Marstons are selling up so given you seemingly know how to make this a success make them an offer! It is over twice the price of every professional valuation we’ve had but that shouldn’t bother you.

We welcomed everyone, including locals who did regularly visit us and we opened specifically for them until they decided the day of the week didn’t suit (other commitments) so please get your facts straight and try to be objective before writing such utter conjecture.

Given the circumstances we have faced, losing our home and our business plus the obvious state of the economy, I would ask you to reflect on your actions here; this review says far more about you than it does anything else.

Reviewed 12 November 2023

I have eaten at the George a few years back and had a great meal that stuck in my mind as a place to revisit.

On recommendations from work colleagues and having previously had a great meal, I rebooked on the last Saturday available before closing.

I was excited to get a slot and had high hopes for the meal that I was looking forward to for a number of weeks.

We selected the 4 course set menu lunch as we didn’t want anything too heavy but enough to go away feeling satisfied.

The first course was bread with spring onion butter and broth. We sat with our bread for around 5 minutes waiting for the broth to arrive but unfortunately it did not. As we were hungry, we ate the bread which was lovely accompanied with the spring onion butter expecting the broth to follow. As our plates were cleared I asked where the broth was. The owner replied that he had given us the wrong menus but there was no broth available. Which of these was the truth I don’t know. In a Michelin restaurant you would not expect to be missing an item on a set menu, it’s frankly appalling. Especially as people I know who had been before had recommended the broth, so it is something I was looking forward to.

We continued with the meal which I would class as a 3 course set menu with a side of bread. Everything else was very tasty and I have no complaints.

We finished the meal expecting to receive a discount for the missing item off the set menu that was not replaced with an alternative. Unfortunately no discount was applied but we were hit with a service charge of £20. This is not something I agree with in the UK, we are not in America where staff do not receive a statutory minimum wage. I would happily have left a tip but a service charge is extremely cheeky.

Wish the guys at the George all the best in the future but I expected a bit of integrity and to be told up front if we were receiving a part menu.

Off the back of this if the George were to stay open I would not have returned.

Date of visit: November 2023
4  Thank ReeceTravel13
Reviewed 29 October 2023

What a disaster ! I booked through the website as recommended from the answer phone message, It was Sunday morning and booked the 2.45pm slot for 6 persons all travelling approx 1 hour. The website says they will confirm the booking, i rang approx 20 times from 10.30am until 1.00pm to try and get a confirmation, I thought the reason for not ringing me back must be they only open at 12.30, the last time I rang I left a message asking for someone to ring me back. I eventually received a call at 1.37pm we had already set off, on listening to the message we were told they were fully booked !
Questions, Why was there various slots to book on the website? Why tell me to book a week in advance on the answer phone message when you can book on the day, why tell me we have availability the following Sunday, Why let people book early time slots and not answer the phone or let people know if successful or not.
We have visited on numerous occasions before and receive loads of marketing emails enticing us back but today was extremely annoying
We were left with nowhere to go and elderly people thinking we were going out for lunch

5  Thank Wander738209
The George, Owner at The George Alstonefield, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2023

You did not have a booking. You had only received notification your enquiry was received, and it explains you do not have a reservation and it’s highly likely we’re fully booked. We do say we’ll call if we get a last minute cancellation.

We checked our phone and neither did we receive your repeated calls. We did have a voicemail and politely called you back but only to reiterate we were still fully booked and to let you know to make a booking further in advance, particularly if it’s for 6 people.

Please read the email received and perhaps then you can remove your misplaced and unjustified review.

Scoring us 1 for value, service, atmosphere and food is impossible given you did not visit us.

Reviewed 20 October 2023

I so wanted to love this place. I drove for an hour to get here. I hoped the slick marketing would reflect the reality. I even broke my "always check the reviews before you go" rule. But alas it was not meant to be me and The George 4ever.
The place was very cold and the empty dining room had a bit of pre funeral feel so it wasn't a great start. We were left for 15 mins to read the menu. I was told "not today" when I enquired about non alcoholic drinks - maybe they had had a run on them the previous day ? , but as the sweet but slightly disinterested young women that served us didn't seem have any further suggestions I stuck with the water.
Sunday lunch was served , 3 courses. Starters were pleasant enough. The main had all the required elements , the beef was quite tasty but the knife provided had little in the way of cutting ability. The cauliflower cheese was excellent as was the carrot.
The plate was cold and and the food wasn't really hot enough . No further drinks were suggested so we choose a pudding - Apple and Blackberry crumble. I did ask about what it entailed but as there was some uncertainty about it - I didn't press the point. If the serving staff aren't sure then that's the chefs issue , and not their fault.
What was delivered was a teaspoon of cold compote , a granola biscuit , quite hard , and a very large scoop of sweet ice cream. Not crumble really then and not quite what I had in mind on a cold October lunchtime. Further investigations revealed it was probably part of the tasting menu - it had the size and "fun" factor.
Nevermind , a coffee warmed me up slightly.
It was all a bit gloomy and nobody seemed to be eating and enjoying the experience with any gusto.
We paid our 12% service charge and if I had been feeling it a bit more I might have mentioned the concerns but to be honest , from the noises/music coming from the kitchen it all sounded very jolly in there but this didn't seem to spill over into the restaurant so I felt a bit left out. I probably won't come back.
The food produced is very insta - worthy but not quite there in real life.
I see that the owner runs a small sideline in slightly sarcastic defensive responses to bad reviews and its great that he's so passionate about defending his business but if it were me , I would be a bit concerned about the numbers - the terrible , poor and average reviews are really quite high , especially if you compare these numbers against the establishments that they guest chef with.
Maybe some of the points these reviews make are relevant and shouldn't be dismissed . I think if someone takes the time to leave a review maybe they just don't want the confrontation and are disappointed with the experience.
But I guess sometimes the proof really is in the pudding...........

3  Thank dylan80

If something isn’t for you; isn’t your thing - it doesn’t have to be someone else’s fault.

Reviewed 12 October 2023

What a fabulous place….very warm welcome , staff all friendly but the food was incredible. We have eaten all over the uk and abroad and this was a real stand out meal…fabulous. Can highly recommend.