Lowest prices for your stay
US$177
View deal
Free cancellation until 04/02/22
Hotels.com
Expedia
eDreams
Agoda.com
13,492 results
All reviews tapas fish snack bar privileged suite el mercado privileged guests gated community standard room japanese restaurant crepes pure chill out bar a la carte restaurants sea lions animation team water shoes steak lagoon area
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 December 2021

I have great memories of my week here (second week in November 2021) and we will no doubt look for the Catalonia hotel chain in future travels. But we don't plan to return to this particular resort. This was our first trip to the Cancun region. We usually go to Puerto Vallarta but we wanted good snorkeling and Catalonia Riviera Maya offers snorkeling right from the hotel beach. The downside is that there was something like only 6 snorkel/mask sets available for guests, which just doesn't sound right considering the number of people/rooms! The second time we managed to get the equipment (handled by the diving club there) the person behind the counter tried to charge us! But ... I got to swim in circles eye to eye with a needlefish and saw a delightful variety of colorful fish, including a small manta ray and crabs.
We paid extra for the "privilege" package and our room was wonderful: comfortable bed, lots of pillows, hot water, ceiling fan, a/c, etc. We also received a bottle of champagne, chocolates and fruit as a welcome gift. I especially appreciated Julia who came to our room in the evening to see if we needed anything extra: water, towels, soda drinks?
Speaking of drinks, a special shout out to Pedro and Javier at the Pure Bar on the beach. Fast service, great humor (you mean less ice and more alcohol!:) and tasty Dirty Monkeys!!
Reserving a spot at the restaurants is not a good set up. As others mentioned, my hubby had to stand in line for over an hour. But once reservations were made, we enjoyed all our meals. When the snack bar was turned into the Steak House, that was a gourmet delight! Fortunately, we found the regular snack bar offerings and the buffet just fine, too. Lots of choices.
I'm sorry I don't remember her name but whoever gave me my Privilege package massage --- OMG, that was 25 minutes of heaven. Not fluff rubbing but she really worked kinks out of my shoulder muscles!

2  Thank Trishia J
Social Media Catalonia Hotels and Resorts, Marketing at Hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2021

Dear Trishia,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your thoughts about your recent experience at Catalonia Riviera Maya.

While we read with great satisfaction the aspects that were enjoyed to the fullest, we are concerned to learn that you would not return to repeat the experience at this property. This is certainly not the outcome we are looking to achieve, therefore be assured that we will review every area of opportunity you point out with the team involved. We firmly believe that our team will do their utmost to provide a quality service in all aspects as our colleagues Julia, Pedro, and Javier.

If you decide to give us another opportunity, we would be glad to turn around the unfortunate events you experienced and ask that you contact us to ensure your next stay in Catalonia Riviera Maya is an enjoyable and memorable one.

Reviewed 4 December 2021

A long way from airport, not what you want after a long flight.. room was upgraded from standard as we needed to be on ground floor and that's all was left. The room was very tiered, plugs hanging off walls, clock gained time every day so unplug it, ,toilet leaked, cupboard doors not closing, safe was good, maid was very good, balcony door lock not very good as we were on the ground floor ...Beach was a big disappointment , we had water shoes but found it very difficult to enter the sea from anywhere without feeling we might break an ankle at any moment.. .Main bar near the theatre was nice, the table server ROSA was very good, had drinks ready as we found our seats ...wifi in room very bad, could just about get reception on balcony as the wifi mast was just feet away,, only place for good wifi was in reception but only has 12 seats so not good standing against a wall to use internet, also tourist waiting for coach transfers to air port use these as well.. need more seating,. we had a good holiday after all the troubles of the virus but will not return to this hotel.

Room tip: Rooms near beach would be quieter during the night, noise from pool games loud during the day,
Date of stay: November 2021
Social Media Catalonia Hotels and Resorts, Promocionar at Hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2021

Dear Alan,

Thank you very much for letting us know your experience. The opinion of our guests has always been paramount for our improvement process, although we are constantly reminding our standards, the comments of our guests allow us to see areas of opportunity that need priority.

By all means, your observations will be shared with each team involved, each of them will put into action an improvement plan and avoid repeating negative situations. Please accept a sincere apology for those inconveniences.

Also, thank you very much for mentioning the staff that stood out during your stay, Rosa will be informed of your recognition.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for the setbacks you experienced, and we appreciate you consider giving us another opportunity, so we can enhance your perception of our resort, and restore your trust in us.

Reviewed 2 December 2021

We came for a short break during Thanksgiving holiday; overall the resort was nice; but unfortunately the services DID NOT support the beauty of the resort. It took approx. 45 minutes to check-in; due to holiday, the resort was kind of full, but only provided 1 guest services to handle all dinner reservations and other matter such as arrangement for covid testing, and to get assistance from guest services was about 1.5 hours waited on the line. WASTED TIME..!!!!
All the specialty restaurants needs reservations; however, the resort has no system in place in taking dinner reservations. They open the reservations on Sunday for the coming week, and people just made dinner reservation for the length of their stay which left for the guests who came on the midweek left with nothing, meaning could not even make dinner reservations during their stay in the resort. And this is NOT FAIR..!!!

When I was searching for resorts, it gave information that we need to contact guest services prior or upon arrival to make the arrangement for covid testing; however, when we got to guest services, she oniy gave us the direction on how to make the arrangement. This should’ve informed to us with our confirmation for the reservation instead of making people waited for 1.5 hours to get to guest services and yet still have to make our own arrangement.

The process of the test was not organized. People who did not make any arrangement were accepted; while people who made appointment were delayed approx. 1.5 hours from their scheduled time. VERY BAD..!!!

The food was just OK except the one in BLoved. Mixed drinks were horrible.

This Catalonia Rivera Maya is such ASHAMED; the beauty of its resort WAS NOT supported with good services and system. WASTED LOTS OF TIMES JUST TO STAND IN-LINE.. VERY BIG DISAPPOINTMENT..!!!

Date of stay: November 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank vwilianto

Dear Wilian,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your impression with us, these sources of feedback are crucial for us as they allow us to grow day by day.

We understand your concerns and regret knowing that this is the impression you have returned home with. Certainly, there are important areas of opportunity, our executive and operational teams are taking note of all the observations you have shared to address each of them together with the teams involved; thank you very much for letting us know and, truly, we are sorry to know that expectations were not met.

We appreciate your visit and trust, despite the final result, we would love to have a future opportunity where we can please you in every way with the service you expect and deserve.

Reviewed 1 December 2021

This resort was fine, however it’s not a 4 star resort unless you go with the up charge of Privileged.

I had very few and far between experiences with staff that were actually more than just average. I'm a person that tips at all-inclusive properties but the staff was hardly there to do that. Not many refills offered for drinks at sit down places, not a lot of interaction.

We booked a garden view room at Catalonia Riviera. We were put in a garden view room in Yucatan Beach instead. The description of the room when I look at the details says mini bar, fan and bottle of water. Our room was the most basic hotel room, no fan, and when I called up about the fact that I had no soda/beer in the refrigerator I was told my room didn't come with that, I said my booking details said mini bar, I was told again, the garden view room doesn't include that. I know some of this is an over privileged American rant, but stay with me. We had one wash cloth for two people and one hand towel, asked for more towels, didn't get any. There was no hair conditioner or body lotion, no tissues, no ceiling fan and our AC pretty much didn't work. The security latch on the door was broken off. We booked for 4 nights, after the first night I went to the front desk, asked if someone could fix the AC and the door latch. As a woman traveling with a teen age girl I wanted to security that when we might be changing or in the shower no one could enter. Got told she would call someone, that was in the AM, went back around noon after the room hadn't changed, got told they had gone fixed the AC, it still wasn't cool, more specifically the room was really humid and the door lock wasn't fix. She told me she would again call someone, and that we could maybe change rooms but not that day, the next, but I was taking an excursion that was all day so changing rooms then wouldn't work for me and honestly who wants to pack up when they only have two days left? Or even one if I did it the next day? So the following morning I go back to the front desk, different employee, ask again about the door lock and about the AC, get told they'd send someone to fix it. Come back after our day out, AC almost feels sort of cool, but still not door lock. Next morning I run into a man in the hallway who has on a white shirt telling two guys in blue shirts what to fix, his English is about as limited as my Spanish so I bring him back, show him the door, he apologizes profusely, and tells me it will be fixed, and it was indeed fixed that afternoon. I should have found him day one. There was one outlet by the night stand other than the one in the bathroom (which by the say kept falling out when I plugged in the hair dryer). No place on the balcony to lay out wet bathing suits, all rooms were like this so the whole place looks like a trailer park of people hanging their wet towels and suits out on the railing and chairs, super classy! Next on to the COVID testing that they provide. 9am to 11:30am each day, they have an on line reservation system that many people couldn’t navigate, I was able to get in, but inside of the 3 day window where I could test to return to the US I couldn’t get an apt so you get told to just show up and get in line when you need to get yours. It makes for a large waste of time, 1 ½ hours for me to be exact but also people that did get an apt are now angry at the people that just showed up, super pleasant way to meet your fellow vacationers and to spend your time. I didn’t drink on this trip with my 15 year old so I have no clue how the drinks tasted, she seemed to like the virgin pina coladas and service at the bar was good.

I have another stay with Catalonia but at their Playa Maroma location in January. I’ve been looking for other resorts and considering rebooking. I would never return to this property and would suggest if you want someone more than a motel 6 you don’t book their garden view room, because it’s nothing more than that.

Room tip: 4123 is not a good room avoid it.
1  Thank forkrisf
Social Media Catalonia Hotels and Resorts, Marketing at Hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2021

Dear Kristine,

Again, thank you very much for allowing us to improve our accommodation offer with the help of your feedback.

We are truly sorry that the experience was not as enjoyable as you had hoped it would be. As we have stated previously, these areas of opportunity will be valued internally and action will be taken to prevent them from happening again. Of course, we expect better results and working as a team and with the standards of quality and service we will be able to achieve them.

Thank you for letting us know about your next reservation. We hope you do not desist from it and we assure you that all of us will be very attentive to your experience, demonstrating the commitment we have to restore your confidence in us.

We remain at your service,

Reviewed 30 November 2021

The resort itself has lots of amenities and looks nice. We only checked in and then out within in same day. We were unable to book dining in advance, and once we arrived all dining options were booked for our ENTIRE stay. They told us, we would have to eat at the buffet. For us, vacation is about the dining out, so this was a super big downfall for us. I have to say, they graciously refunded our money.

2  Thank Tricia N