“Ideal for something different ”
Review of Belmonte

Belmonte
Ranked #217 of 1,392 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Price range: US$6 - US$33
Reviewed 28 February 2021 via mobile

We stayed here for hours. We went in for lunch and shared the arros de mariscos. It was wonderful but the service and atmosphere is what kept us there. Located a few blocks away from the main street it was a peaceful alternative for lunch. The servers Ody and Ceasar took such good care of us and looked right on trend in the uniforms. This place is ideal for a lunch and dinner.

Date of visit: February 2021
Write a reviewReviews (52)

Reviewed 2 February 2021

We stopped by Bellmonte on a whim since it was right down the street from our hotel on the second night in Playa. It was definitely the best meal and service we had during our stay! We ordered way too much food and the craft cocktails were really good as well. They had great music playing and a wonderful atmosphere. My wife really dug the decor and how the servers were all dressed like newsboys. Our server Odi was great; nice, super knowledgeable about the menu and good sense of when to approach and when to leave us alone. Definitely recommend Belmonte if you're visiting PDC!

Reviewed 31 January 2021 via mobile

The welcome, the service and the specialties offered are just: excellent!

Bravo to the Chef and his team for his refined journey to the flavors of Portugal

I had an amazing moment ✨

I recommend 100%

Reviewed 2 January 2021 via mobile

I had dinner here with my partner on New Year’s Eve. It was a surreal experience unlike anything I have ever witnessed.

Let’s get one thing out of the way- the food is fantastic. Everything was a touch overdone to suit American pallets (I think? That’s my take on food in Playa). But it’s good. Very very good.

The prices are pretty high for Playa. But for the food, not totally unreasonable I think.

Now the service. The restaurant is not large and it was not busy. However we waited for a long time to be acknowledged. When we were seated, it immediately became clear that the row of three tables in which we were In the centre were the worst tables. They ran along the bar- which was incredibly loud (almost impossible to believe over the too-loud music) and the servers scurried immediately behind me, running almost, several times a minute. It felt like being on a subway to be honest. But then the manager (owner?) immediately took up a perch standing at the bar immediately behind me. He would stay there for three hours, beckoning over the staff to give directions, drinking, surveying the restaurant. I felt like I was invited to their never-ending staff meeting. In a subway car. Despite empty tables our request to move was denied.

We were served by at least half a dozen people. None of whom are communicating with each other. We received an entire meal we never ordered. The only item we indicated we didn’t like/have allergies to were olives- immediately we were served an olive tapenade we didn’t order (but appear to have paid for in the end). Olives became THE garnish of almost every dish we were served. Several times random new servers appeared to try to remove plates that had not yet been fully consumed, or where we were still chewing on the last bite. At one point a server waved his hand, telling me to rearrange the plates myself to make room on the table for the next course.

After ordering we were advised that there was a minimum purchase for the night. Makes sense. NYE is big business. We had already ordered cocktails and starters and main courses at this point so I was sure we would meet it. Duck, octopus, shrimp, etc. Are not exactly the cheapest items. 1000 pesos was the minimum we were told. Easy. No problem. We enjoyed the food, ordered two more cocktails, desserts, espressos, and requested the bill. And we were then told it was 1000 pesos PER person. We were still shy of this new minimum. I am a drinker and a big eater. Never in my life have a struggled to make a minimum purchase at a restaurant. But that’s a lot of food and drink for an 8pm pre-NYE celebration meal. Another round of cocktails concluded the evening.

But what I really struggled with was the dynamic between the manager (owner?) and the service staff. The Manager was fair toned and older and larger, and almost every single server was very young, very slim, and darker toned. I mention these things because the contrast spelled out one thing to me: a substantial power differential. There were dozens of servers. No women. No man old enough to grow a beard. I recalled the restaurant’s Facebook and returned there and saw the job posting in the pic I attach to this review. Must be 28-35 years old for a server job here it says (I would be surprised if any of the current service staff were even 28). Is this kind of discrimination even legal here?And every single one of the servers was clearly terrified of this grim-faced manager that constantly beckoned them over to give directions. I did, after all, have a front row seat to this dynamic all night. It made me very uncomfortable. I felt badly about trying to negotiate a more pleasant table, and my impatience at the order mix-ups. The servers were clearly the ones having a bad night, not me.

I tipped generously and fled.

Reviewed 6 December 2020

Excellent! Five stars! Our server Cesar was so attentive and answered all our questions. The cheese plate and mushroom appetizer were so tasty! They had great music playing and a wonderful atmosphere both inside and outside. The theme was Portuguese, and we had some amazing wine from Portugal, Cesar was able to recommend the best food for me as a vegetarian. The dessert was also top notch! I would recommend to anyone in Playa del Carmen to stop here for dinner and drinks.

Date of visit: November 2020