3,430 results
All reviews shangri la caribe half board palapa style las olas fuego restaurant garden view breakfast and dinner las palapas palapa roof ocean front ping pong fifth avenue the penthouse infinity pool yogurt palm trees the wait staff
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We are repeat customers. Grounds are gorgeous! Staff is excellent! Have been coming here for several years as a family vacation spot. Our most recent stay was in March, 2018 (sorry for the delay in writing a review), and David met us in a driving rain storm. (Beautiful weather the rest of the trip) Excellent friendly greeting despite the fact he was getting soaked. He provided umbrellas and ensured the entire family (7 in total) was out of the rain as quickly as possible. Check-in was very efficient and we were off to lunch at Fuego within minutes. Enrique, Jesus, (and numerous others, sorry I waited so long to write the review I don't remember all of the names) were all so very, very friendly and provided a relaxing lunch experience every day. We have one granddaughter with specific lunch requests and they remembered us from prior visits and had her specific needs handled before we even asked!! Some of the reviews have mentioned "slow" service; and for us, we enjoy and appreciate the slower pace and the intentional effort to make sure we do not feel rushed or hurried in any way. As always, Angel at the Las Olas restaurant greeted us for breakfast each morning!! Again, he remembers us from previous visits. "going out of his way" to make us comfortable doesn't begin to say enough. We feel like he is family!! Oscar made sure to find us every day and asked if there was anything we needed. We saw Benji and Jonathan during the day and they also "went out of their way" to visit with us and their smiles and great friendly (but always polite) attitude was awesome. Already looking forward to our next stay!!!!!!! We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
MahekalPlaya, Social Media & Marketing Manager at Mahekal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2018

Dear BixArk,

What a pleasure to read your delightful comment on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled that you appreciated the friendliness of our staff, and that our hotel is your favorite destination when in Mexico. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best Regards,

Itze Pérez
Social Media & Marketing Manager
Mahekal Beach Resort

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

This resort is absolutely perfect for a nice relaxing getaway. I booked a treehouse palapa for four ladies and they upgraded us to an ocean view room literally just a few steps away from their private beach. Their service was incredible—front desk, hosts and security by the entrance were extremely kind and helpful. I especially want to give a big thank you to Cesar, who went above and beyond in making sure we were always taken care of. He put up our hammocks right away and gave us a nice tour of the room. Our room was next to the bar with a pool and there was never any complaints about noise. The atmosphere was very serene and security did a good job keeping the area safe. There were guys walking around the treehouses and beach to make sure only guests from the hotel were inside. We had breakfast at the buffet in the Las Olas restaurant which was phenomenal—offering a variety of fresh fruits and juices, smoothies, Mexican & American breakfast dishes and pastries. There was an infinity pool and jacuzzi right by the bar at the restaurant. The resort is also just a couple blocks away from great restaurants and 5th Avenue. Highly recommend this place and I will definitely be coming back for a romantic getaway with my boyfriend next time!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Karen S, Manager at Mahekal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Dear Elaine,

Thank you for the "absolutely perfect" Trip Advisor review for Mahekal Beach Resort!

We are pleased you enjoyed your holiday in our eco chic palapa style bungalows by the sea. Thank you for mentioning our star, Cesar, who helped you during your arrival. Also you noted our serene location, the great security presence, outstanding food and beverage and convenient location to Quinta Avenida. All of these points will be important for guests considering Playa del Carmen for their vacation.

We hope to see you again soon; your hammock will be waiting for you!

Cordially,

Reviewed 26 June 2018

Mahekal Beach Resort is exactly what I envision when I think about a resort on a beach in a jungle. MBR is a rustic yet tamed jungle(ish) resort. I was accustomed to resorts along the Riviera Maya that are large, all-inclusive, and isolated, which is fine if you drink a lot and never want to leave the resort.

The location of MBR was perfect! It offers the best of all worlds—an upscale resort located at the northern end of Playa, a 5 minute walk to 5th Ave. There are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby, but you really get a sense of quiet calm at the hotel. The landscaping is lush and beautiful.

We were referred to the resort by a family member, but I was a bit weary as some of the reviews were not so favorable, especially about noise. Most of the noise issues I noticed on other reviews were related to Mamitas Beach Club down the beach a ways. We had no issues with them, but you should check the Playa del Carmen calendars for events such as music festivals and the like, and avoid the area at those times.

There was a wedding at MBR one of the nights, and the music was fairly loud but it was over and all quiet before midnight, so no issues. We did have a noise complaint that was related to our first room. I reserved a Treehouse room; the front desk made a big deal about upgrading us to an oceanview, which would have been awesome, except the room they gave us also overlooked the public beach access along 38th Street, another muddy local street, and a convenience store. The noise and the view were unacceptable, period. But here’s the takeaway—the hotel made it right! We were given two room options, we picked the one we preferred, and that issue was fixed. Low hotel occupancy worked out great for us. I guess low season has its benefits (unless there is a tropical storm).

Most of the rooms at the resort seem to be similar. They are good sized, offer adequate storage and amenities, and have good comfortable beds. The rooms have AC, but during the day the breeze and ceiling fan kept the room comfortable. The patio was a highlight, and as far as I could tell, every room has a patio with hammocks and a table and chairs. Each casita has a water spigot outside to rinse off sand, and almost anywhere on property is lovely.

We had a meal plan that included breakfast and dinner. If we wanted a snack or drink away from the hotel, we walked up 38th St. to 5th Ave or simply across the street to the Oxxo for beer or soft drinks. The food at the hotel was good, and the variety was adequate. The one thing that I found odd, really odd, was that I never saw guacamole the entire 5 days I was at MBR. I feel like guacamole is one of those foods that is expected in Mexico, so the fact that it was not offered on their dinner buffets was a disappointment.

The employees at the resort seemed to have all gone through the same customer service training. Service was excellent and consistent across the board, from the bellmen to the front desk, from the servers and bartenders to housekeeping. Absolutely no complaints!

Speaking of employees, I would be remiss if I did not mention security. Honestly, I think this was the first time I ever really saw security guards in Mexico actually doing their job. At least 3 or 4 gentlemen were stationed along the beach, 1 or 2 were at the front entrance, and another 1 or 2 were at the side entrance. They kept the general public off the resort grounds, and they seemed to communicate with one another and kept records about how many guests were on the beach, etc. I felt completely safe.

Bottom line is this: Mahekal Beach Resort is not cheap, but it is a great value—you get better than you would expect for the amount you paid. Mahekal = Magical!

Stayed: June 2018
1  Thank susanj0923
Karen S, Manager at Mahekal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Dear Susanj0923-

Thank you for writing such a glowing and comprehensive review about Mahekal Beach Resort. We appreciate you sharing your experience with our future guests.

Thank you for pointing out the security guards; this is something we pay special attention to; making sure our guests feel safe and secure while on holiday. We also have more security guards not in uniform you may not have noticed. We don't seem to have as much problem with the noise as we had in the past but your advice about checking the calendar is a good one. Also, check the resort's calendar of events. We do have a requirement for weddings to end by 11pm.

We are so sorry you never got to sample our guacamole. We do offer it on the buffets and it comes with our chips and guac and you can order it at Itzi bar as a snack. Now you must come back to give it a try! Don't forget the ceviche to go with it! Hope to see you again soon!
Warm Regards,

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

I booked this location based on the great reviews that I read. Maybe I am blind, but this place is not what the majority of the people he describe. The service is not as great as described. The rooms smell and are not as clean as everyone claims them to be. I arrived on Thursaday June 21st. I checked in at around 1pm and by 3pm that same day I checked out. Our room smelled like urine. One of the beds in our room never got new fresh sheets. It was made with the same sheets that the previous guest used. The bathroom had mold. There was a hole in our palapa and there was a bird’s nest in it. The beach is public so there is no control of who enters it. At one point we witnessed a man urinating in the bushes right outside our room. He appeared to be homeless.
When I complained about it I was told I had been given an upgrade and that was the best they had available. We decided to just book a different hotel. They did not reimburse our money, but we felt we were better off going somewhere else. Please do your research when you come here. I am not sure where all these great reviews came from. Did we go to the same place?

Stayed: June 2018
6  Thank RYR1770

Dear RYR1770

We aren't sure you were visiting the right place either as this definitely doesn't sound like our resort. We have exceptional room attendants, an extremely high level of cleanliness, security guards throughout the resort and outstanding guest reviews. If a guest ever has a problem at our resort we take care of it right away. Please e-mail our guest experience team at frontdesk@mahekalplaya.com to see if this was the correct location of your stay.

One small note: ALL the beaches in Playa del Carmen and for that matter Mexico, are public. So no matter where you stay, guests have the option to walk up and down the beach in Playa del Carmen.

Please let us know more about your experience,

Reviewed 23 June 2018

Im currently staying in their top $$ room, 2 bed, 1 bath.. beach bungalow
There has been constant issues.
Toilet constantly plugging
No cold water in the shower,
Beach is disgusting
Phone doesn’t work
AC only good if you stand in the air stream

There is more, but hopefully this prevents you from making my mistake

Room Tip: Anywhere but here
Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
7  Thank Ric R

Hi Ric-

We apologize for the problems you encountered during your recent stay at Mahekal Beach Resort. These issues are very rare at the resort.

If any guest has an issue during their stay with us, please let us know while they are on property so we can resolve the problems or relocate you to a more suitable room. We want every guest to be happy during their stay with us.

We hope you will find a way to give our property another chance during your next trip to Playa del Carmen.

Sales Consultant