“STAY AWAY FROM THE BEEF WELLINGTON!!! ”

The Smokehouse Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 69 Restaurants in Tanah Rata
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Points for the ambience and that's it.
Food is incredibly pricey but disappointingly mediocre. The worst of the lot by far would be the beef wellington. Anyone who has ever written a good review for their beef wellington is lying.

Let me break it down for you :
1) Puff pastry is beyond soggy. Barely flakey and not baked well. Bottom of the pastry isn't even cooked. Wot.
2) The mushroom duxelles is a measly thin layer on only the top of the beef tenderloin. What. It's supposed to wrap the entire steak, not just a miserable layer on the top.
3) Missing layer of prosciutto. Even if you want the meal to be halal, you could have added a layer of maybe chicken bacon / beef bacon.
4) When I asked for medium rare meat doneness, the waitress told me they highly recommend medium because the puff pastry wouldn't be baked well otherwise. Wellp - I ordered medium like you asked and your puff pastry *STILL* wasn't baked. So. Do you want me to order well done? Also, maybe your friggin meat would be properly medium rare if your stupid duxelles layer wasn't a paper thin layer on the top only (nothing on the sides and bottom) and you weren't missing a whole other meat layer.
5) Potatoes were good.
6) Other vegetables well blanched.
7) RM78 (most expensive thing on the menu) for a Christmas disappointment. Fun.

Highly recommend anyone else to take your money and have some good Malay / Chinese food elsewhere. Hurts less when bad food is cheap, instead of bad food for an arm.

Date of visit: December 2020
Write a reviewReviews (500)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I came here with my partner and it was definitely a pleasant dinner.

I ordered beef wellington, my partner had roast beef and we had a bottle of wine. The roast beef was really good, tender, flavourful and plenty. The accompanying roasted potato and Yorkshire pudding was really good.

However, the beef wellington was average. The beef although tender was not done according to my preference which was medium. That’s still fine, but it was also underseasoned and just didnt vow me.The mustard served on the side helped to elevate the flavour tho. The accompanying roasted potato was good , and the bread roll and butter was warm and just yum!

Service was top notch, ambience was lovely, so are the people working there. I just wished they allowed seating at the garden given there was no crowd.

All in all, my partner and I enjoyed our dinner, I just wished I ordered something else, like their pie maybe. It smelt fantastic.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Brought a group of 7, they handled our reservation for the family well and was always on hand to attend to our various needs over the course of dinner, which we all enjoyed, the steaks perfectly done, even the veggies cooked to perfection. I don't quite understand the criticisms of many of the restaurant. Perhaps they're not accustomed to colonial British style of cooking and presentation. There is a history to this, since Cameron Highlands was a significant administrative and military outpost in yesteryears and Smokehouse has kept itself esteeped in some of those traditions. It's English food peeps, I don't go elsewhere and ask for fried rendang. I will definitely be back!

Reviewed 3 October 2020 via mobile

We went to the restaurant last week, the manager welcomed us and took our orders. We asked several times whether dishes were sharable, but he ensured they were not. Once our orders came to table, portions were huge! One of the dishes a mixed meat dish could have easily fed 3! The vegetable pie was told to be just a small pie with no sides, and he suggested us taking salad and soup. The actual dish was a whole plate with mash potatoes and full of vegetables. We didnt like the fact we asked few times and the manager said portions were not to be shared. When we asked him, he said "once in a while it's ok". There is not the way. Food was good on the other side.

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 11 September 2020 via mobile

It was a last minute booking on Tuesday night where my girlfriend and me were seeking for a western cuisine with a better ambience and we found the smoke house. The PIC was kind enough to squeeze in a table for us. The food were delicious with a very generous portion of main dish. Ambience is super good as the compound is surrounded with floral fragrance, decorative lightening, thus created a very romantic ambience. We will definitely return here for dinner if we ever visit Cameron Highland again.

Date of visit: September 2020