Caneel Bay Resort
Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel(Cruz Bay)(Great Value!)
US$236
Expedia
  • Breakfast included
St. John Inn(Cruz Bay)(Great Value!)
US$330
Expedia
Sebastian's on the Beach(Road Town)(Great Value!)
US$121
  • Beachfront
US$245
All reviewsscott beachsushigelatosugar millsea turtlesnatural beautywild donkeysbeach servicebeach grillturn down servicenational parknew managementst johnhawks nestturquoise waterfour seasonstropical fish
Reviewed 13 January 2016 via mobile

Great dinner with the ambiance of the property• afterwards- getting back to St.Thomas on the "employee" ferry was not welcoming or officiant at all• we were actually told 'WE ARE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO BOARD' to get back to St.Thomas• we had to beg, bribe, & jump ship to get on after spending a pretty penny & still left a friend behind - ThAnKs to the Captian with an Attitude He could've at least been in uniform....

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
5  Thank Brittany L
MDCaneel, Manager at Caneel Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2016

Dear Brittany L,

Please know transportation to ZoZo's and Turtle Bay Estate house is provided on our ferry, however, due to Homeland Security Measures in place, any one who wishes to use this service must have advance reservations, and be recorded on our Captain's daily roster. My apologies to you for any misunderstanding, and I do hope you may enjoy our round trip transfers to dine at ZoZo's Ristorante or Turtle Bay Estate House one day in the future.
Nikolay Hotze
Managing Director
Caneel Bay Resort

Reviewed 12 January 2016 via mobile

We loved the idea of vacationing in a National park, and couldn't wait to get to Caneel.
I'm going to break this review down into the following portions: the resort, the beaches, the activities, the food and the service.
The resort: it's beautiful, as expected. Lush foliage, beautiful views and very well kept. We stayed on Scott's beach, the rooms were prettily done and spacious, and the ocean was literally at our doorstep! We spotted several donkeys and deer that roam the resort. We knew beforehand that there was no TV in the room and no telephones either: didn't bother us one bit, in fact was a welcome change from the usual..
And yes, you have to walk around. You also have the option of using the constantly cycling buses that go from one place to the other.
Mosquitoes weren't an issue in the least.
Caneel bay is a unique experience: remember that you're predominantly there to experience the beauty of the USVI so don't go comparing it to Four Seasons for the luxury quotient even if the prices are comparable.
The beaches: seven in total, Caneel and little Caneel are near the pier. Caneel is the larger.. It's also the place to kayak/ paddle board. However it's also the beach that sees all the boat traffic so in terms of privacy, this has the least.
Paradise is a little private beach, very quiet and romantic. The view is of the mountains, and a partial view of St Thomas, it also sees a fair amount of boat traffic.
Scott's is the largest beach by far. Lovely white sands and beautiful turquoise waters. Faces the mountains with a partial St Thomas view, also witnesses a fair amount of boat traffic. It's also the beach with the best views of the sunset, and had the calmest, most swimmable waters, and some lovely snorkeling. It's an adult only beach, so definitely not the place for families.
Turtle beach has choppier waters, vivid colors and a hundred percent privacy. For privacy I would choose either turtle or Hawsknest. Both are flanked by hillocks, and so create perfect private coves. Hawsknest gets sunrise views, and offers great turtle snorkeling additionally. Also, if you're an energetic swimmer you can swim to two private little beaches right off Hawksnest. If I had to go back I'd probably pick one of these two.
Honeymoons beach is a little bit of a walk from Caneel... Pretty, but nothing spectacular. It's the most touristy of all.
The activities: snorkeling: all the beaches have great snorkeling. The best are Scott's and hawksnest. The gear is free if you're staying in the resort.
Kayaking/paddle boarding: mainly on Caneel and little Caneel within a designated zone
Trails: cannot comment as we didn't do any
BVI tour: phenomenal, totally worth it. They take you to the baths, Pussers restaurant, diamond reef snorkeling and Jost van Dyke. Best day ever.
We went to town very often. It's super easy: take the cab down for five bucks per person. The cabs are open door vans and can take up to 10-12 people at a time.the most we'd ever traveled with was four!
Headed to town for dinner and brunch to sample island cuisine and to get some souvenirs.
The food: in my opinion very average. The island bar was okay- drinks tasted watered down and blah. Food at the accompanying restaurant was just about okay too- nothing to write home about. Zazos was underwhelming to say the least. We decided to give the breakfast buffet and turtle restaurant a skip and just dine in town instead. Olive bistro and Pepes were awesome! And just a cab ride away.
The service: was great! Helpful staff, well maintained grounds. Room was always clean and I appreciated the little shells left behind as a mini gift every night! Top notch!
All in all: would I return? - absolutely! The trip made for some great times and cherished memories!

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Vaishnavy B
Reviewed 9 January 2016

From a different prospective, I was on both St Thomas and Johns for business and decided to take some down time and stay at Caneel...best decision I could have made. The service from front desk to housekeeping and even the groundskeepers (gave me a history of why donkey's roam the grounds), was second to none. Dinner at ZoZo's was exceptional with attentive service but not too much, if you know what I mean. I almost never remember service staff names but Shawn and Ryan were great and luckily for me convinced me to try the Octopus...outstanding. If you want to get away (no worries, internet works great) and enjoy the tropics as they are meant to be enjoyed, this is money well spent. I will be back.

Room Tip: All rooms are ideal
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled on business
5  Thank mattbailey1994
Reviewed 9 January 2016 via mobile

My husband and I came here for some relaxation. The staff here is very pleasant and willing to do just about everything for you. Need your ice bucket or cooler emptied and refilled? Just set it outside your door. We had trouble with our AC and within minutes it was fixed. The food at the restaurants on site was well prepared and presentation was very good to excellent. We enjoyed all seven beaches for snorkeling and relaxing. Two short hikes are fun and a longer one to Cruz bay was even better. Boats, kayaks and paddle boards are easily available. Shuttles run through the resort if you don't want to walk. Don't come here for nightlife- besides dinner and star gazing there isn't much else (movie at 9 pm). Taxis and rental jeeps are right here also. We did leave the resort a few times to explore other areas but could have stayed here the whole week and been happy.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank fkrvmd
Reviewed 9 January 2016

We've been there several times and it really is the description of "Paradise". The hotel is actually on the Virgin Islands National Park so, while walking around the magnificent beaches or the natural surroundings, you get to see the wildlife living there (donkeys, Iguanas, Turtles...), it's a unique experience. There are no phones or TV's in the rooms so it really is a relaxing and different experience you must try once in a while. The service might have worsened a little this last year but still, it's marvellous... specially the waiters and cooks who always have a smile for you any time.

Room Tip: Beach Front Rooms are the best
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family