2,972 results
All reviews cruz bay trunk bay bedroom villa thomas airport public ferry morgan's mango per person time share three bedroom cinnamon bay kids club golf cart beautiful island island tour john resort your luggage spg points
Reviewed 4 January 2016 via mobile

Ok, so first time in St. John Westin (and Island). It literally took us over 3 hours to have a basic dinner at main hotel restaurant (the lemon grass) and took forever to close out our tab. And it was very slow! The beach is ok, but not as clear as the BVI beaches. The hotel restaurants are very boring. I realize there isn't any nightlife in St. John but at least they could have music and fine dining with friendlier faster service and better drinks.
I will look into other hotels in future. At this point not impressed with service or hotel at the Westin. And their shops suck! They didn't have anything to buy and were not friendly.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
5  Thank wwrio12
Mike R, General Manager at The Westin St. John Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2016

I’m sorry your stay with us wasn’t the experience you were looking for. I hope when you return to the islands you find a better resort suited for you. Thank you for your honest feedback.

Reviewed 3 January 2016

We had a week rental villa which was great and 3 couples there. We did some excursions, lounged on the beach, etc. We both cooked at the villa and ate at the resort restaurant. Interesting to see iguanas running around and they didn't appear to mind the people.

Room Tip: Come with bathing suits, snorkeling gear, etc.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank James H

It sounds like you had a relaxing week with your friends at our resort. We look forward to seeing you again next time you need a refreshing getaway

Reviewed 3 January 2016

My wife and I spent 2 nights here before our sailing adventures.
The resort is very nice and really well kept. We had a spacious room with a garden / pool area view. Pool was large, beach was beautiful and the gym was more than adequate.

I saw few negative reviews mentioning staff. I honestly can't fault anyone we interacted with. Everyone was very friendly and very helpful. The service was perhaps not the fastest, but that is normal on the islands and should be expected I believe. The people are just more laid back and easy going, but I don't see a problem with that. The service may take 5 minutes longer, but we were nice to everyone and everyone was nice back.
The concierge was very knowledgeable and helpful. We needed directions to Moorings in Tortola and she knew exactly which ferry to take and where from, including pricing and schedule.
We had a great time and would gladly return.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank xdaniel76

Thank you for choosing our resort for your pre-sail stay. I’m glad you had a great few nights with us and appreciate your compliments regarding the resort and our staff. We look forward to your return trip

Reviewed 2 January 2016 via mobile

We visited the Westin St. John the last week of December. The first issue that needs to be addressed is the transfer from St. Thomas to St. John. It is very costly to do it through the Westin and the transfer took us almost 3 hours. There is no reason it should take so long. They got us from the airport to the dock and we waited (there is a restaurant and and an ice cream gazebo) in the hot sun for a very long time. The ferry was delayed for an extra 20 minutes and there was no communication at all as to when the ferry would arrive. Once it did arrive, it was a very convenient trip and placed us on the dock in the resort.
We were greeted by an employee who had everyone's room keys. I was shocked when she told me one of my two rooms was still not ready at 4:15. Check-in is at 3:00. She said it would be ready shortly, which it was. BUT there was no manager, supervisor or anyone in a position of authority to speak to. This was a recurring issue during our stay and will need to be addressed by Marriott as they complete the acquisition of Starwood.
We had two adjoining rooms in building 16. Both king rooms which is a little surprising, usually you will have a king adjoining to 2 queens. Both rooms had something called "Sugar Ants". We called 4 times and it was never taken care of, again - no one who was accountable or in charge. The ants were a nuisance. Housekeeping was good and made up the room early each day. There is no turn down service. The shower was strange. The water was either incredibly hot, or freezing cold, not sure why. The amenities were not the normal Westin offering. No shower caps for example.
Lemongrass, the onsite restaurant needs serious help. The breakfast buffet is very nice and tasty, but the service is TERRIBLE, even by Island standards. It could take 15 minutes to get a cup of coffee and if you wanted anything other than the buffet, like an omelet, be prepared to wait a half hour. Again, no one in charge or accountable. Same issues for dinner, but the portions are small.
The concierge was very helpful. They know the Island well and make good recommendations. Unfortunately, they are also responsible for selling the timeshares. They use very high pressure tactics to book you on a tour, so be prepared.
We reserved a Cabana by the pool one day which was nice but not necessary. The pool is huge and there are always lounge chairs available, even Christmas week you could get very well located lounge chairs at 10 or 11 in the morning. The pool staff is very nice and friendly, the towels are nice and the system to get and return towels is very good. While at the cabana, the grounds crew was cutting the shrubs. For over an hour in the middle of the day, right next to the cabana, all we heard was the loud sounds of the power trimmers. Again, no one in charge or responsible to have that done earlier or later in the day.
The gym was small but very adequate with newer equipment.
Snorkels is the lunch restaurant by the pool. The food is good and kid friendly. The service is slightly better than Lemongrass. No need to wait that long for lunch.
There are many cats on property. So if your kids don't like them, be aware. There are also iguanas. There are small ones, and some very big ones. They are cool and if you don't mess with them, they won't mess with you. Sometimes, they like to take a quick dip in the pool to cool down.
The beach at the hotel is ok. The water is not clear, but there are 3 large inflatables in the water. As someone said, the hotel beach is a 3 and there are beaches that are a 10, a 10 minute ride away. Make sure you visit Trunk Bay, Cinnamon and Honeymoon Bay.
If you want to go to the Westin St. John to just sit on a lounge chair and relax, there are better places. If you are up for a little adventure, willing to rent a Jeep (which is on premise and cheaper and more convenient than going on the open air taxis) to go to some of the nicest beaches in the world, this is a good place. Hopefully, the Westin or Marriott will address the service and lack of management issues. The property is well manicured and very pretty, it has lots of potential, it just needs to be managed better.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank HowardNJ1

It sounds like you had an overall nice time during your vacation. We appreciate your feedback regarding service, as this is our industry and we want to stand out in this area. During the very busy time you were visiting management was on alert so I’m sorry you didn’t feel they were around. We do appreciate your experience and thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Reviewed 1 January 2016

Just got back from our 6 night stay in St John. The Westin is a very nice place. My sister owns a timeshare there and we joined her over Christmas for the week.
The property is pristine and well kept. Seating at the pool was not hard to find and staff was helpful. Really enjoyed the yoga on M,W,F. It was only outside one day, in the conference/banquet hall the other 2 days. In such a beautiful place, hard to be inside.
Tried to attend Pilates but didn't know you had to sign up for it and it was full. Only holds 12. Did run the New Balance path and loved the hills. An extra challenge. My luggage got lost and I had nothing with me so the New Balance rental program the Westin offers was great, especially for $5. I also purchased some stuff at the gift shop and was pleasantly surprised at how affordable it was. The hotel gave me an emergency kit which consisted of some basic toiletries, which was also appreciated. We only ate at the resort once while there and it was decent.
We enjoyed using the paddle boards and kayak for free through the hotel. We did swim in the bay and had no issues. Did not think it was dirty or smelly as the others have stated.
St John is extremely expensive, especially for food, so if you have a condo and can pack some non-perishables, do so. The small store up the street, within walking distance, has everything, just expensive.
The entertainment around the pool was fun and engaging but not too much. Nor do they hound you to participate.
The only negative thing I have to say is about the cats. There are several that roam the property and are harmless. They actually help keep some of the rodents away. On Christmas evening, we went to use the grills and found one of them dead. About 15 minutes later we heard another was dying nearby. Being the animal lover I am, I ran out and watched what was a perfectly healthy cat, 10 hours prior, seize and die in front of me. It was beyond sad. the only thing I could do was talk to it while it died. When asked about how 2 cats, that were totally normal and healthy in the morning, could suddenly die, we were told that people poison them. No idea if they meant guests or locals, but it was awful. It did take the front desk over an hour to come and pick both of them up. Very sad and it pretty much ruined my Christmas dinner.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Pointerchick

It was great to hear you had a nice Christmas stay with your sister in her villa. Sounds like the New Balance lending program was a great save in your luggage mishap. I’m sorry you had to witness the cat incident. We have been working with the Animal Care Center here on the island to try and figure out who is poisoning them as we would never approve of such treatment. Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay.