All reviews nant ddu lodge evening meal lamb brecon beacons superior room steam room birthday treat prawn cocktail an overnight stay continental breakfast pen y fan both nights lovely food lick of paint full body massage enjoyable stay excellent value for money
Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed here with some friends recently as a result of a gift voucher for our anniversary. There were good points and bad points. The evening meal was lovely although my husband found his curry a bit watery. Valen our waitress was bright, friendly and efficient, wish all the staff had been the same. Several were new it seemed, and although they were doing their best, they clearly lacked training. The staff on reception were not very friendly to be honest and seemed more interested in talking to each other than giving us their full attention. Our room was very worn and old, a stained bedsheet as we were getting into bed was disappointing, obviously it had been laundered but surely it should have been picked up on when it was being put on the bed. To think that room cost £125 was a shock to say the least. I know they can only update rooms slowly, but I've stayed in better rooms for £85, maybe they should lower the prices till they're up to standard.
At breakfast we had to wait ages for tea and coffee as they were awaiting a milk delivery! The breakfast itself was good, although they charge extra for anything more fancy than the basic full English.
We didn't use the spa facilities ourselves but our friends went for a swim and enjoyed it.
On the whole we enjoyed our stay with our friends, but with so much potential in this hotel, they really need to pay attention to the basics or they will lose repeat custom.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Simon D, General Manager at Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2018

Thank you for reviewing your stay and giving us your feedback. We will use it to improve and put right what you feel we fell short on. Simon Daniel - General Manager

Reviewed 22 September 2018 via mobile

Booked a night here for my wife's 40th birthday. A month before our stay I emailed the staff saying I wanted to make it special for her and wanted to make sure there were suitable treatments available as she is pregnant. The reply was a curt "Please call us to arrange anything for the room" which didn't answer my question at all.

I tried emailing again and had another brief reply telling me to "look on the website", where I was reassured to see some "Baby on Board" treatments, and also the sentence "We always have some special last-minute deals available for treatments in our spa.". Great! Or so I thought...

On arrival the receptionist informed us that no spa treatments were available and that we should have booked in advance.

My wife tried to hide her disappointment and I tried to hide my annoyance but made the stay feel a little pointless. A spa hotel with no spa treatments available. We made do with the pool, steam room, sauna and jacuzzi but as my wife is pregnant she could only make very limited use of these.

I emailed the manager asking if he could help us at all and to his credit he emailed me straight back saying they were fully booked but he's see what he could do but I heard nothing else.

The decor of the hotel looks really tired and everywhere could do with some TLC and some paint. There are no signs anywhere and yet the staff seem annoyed that guests are continually asking where the pool / gym / restaurant is.

Thankfully the restaurant saved our stay from being totally negative. The staff in there seem more motivated and happy that elsewhere and the food was absolutely top notch. The lamb was the nicest I have ever tasted and the Staropramen on draft was somehow much better than any I have tasted elsewhere. The breakfast was great too and the dining areas seem to have been much better looked after than the slightly battered and grubby accommodation areas. The bar and restaurant staff were really friendly and helpful which highlighted the ambivalence of the reception staff who didn't even bother telling us the usual basics about food and checkout timings, where everything is etc.

We stayed in room 21 which benefited from the lovely sound of the river gushing past - great in September but the sign on the window advises guests of a midge problem there in the summer.

It wouldn't take much to turn this place around and make it top quality. If that happens I'd be happy to return.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review. As was explained to you, all the late spaces had been taken by other guests. You should have booked the treatments when you made the booking rather than wait. We are in the process of refurbishing the entire hotel as can clearly be seen from the work in progress. We did our very best to try to get your wife in and i am sorry that you felt we could have done more. Simon Daniel - General Manager

Reviewed 21 September 2018

Three friends and I booked an overnight B&B stay with spa treatments, dinner and lunch. We found all the staff attentive, friendly and with good customer service skills. Our standard rooms were very adequate, beds were comfortable and clean and we understand that all rooms are being upgraded gradually.
The new treatment area was in the process of being completed and we were impressed by the decor and ambience, however, we enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere in the old rooms and were made comfortable for our massages by the therapists. Charlotte gave me an excellent relaxing full body massage and is well trained and friendly.
The meals were excellent and very good value, we were all impressed with the quality and presentation.
A perfect, enjoyable and relaxing spa experience. Thank you we will be back.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
Simon D, General Manager at Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2018

Thank you so much for your fantastic 5 star review. Simon Daniel - General Manager

Reviewed 17 September 2018

This is the first time I have ever paid for a hotel room, got to the room and walked straight out again asking for my money back. The room smelled of stale smoke which hit you as soon as you walked in. The room was dirty with stained carpet. The bathroom lino was all rucked up and didn't go to the edges. The toilet seat didn't fit. It was disgusting. Unbelievably terrible for a lot of money.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy W

I am extremely sorry that you felt the way you did with your room. All our rooms are none-smoking. Whilst I understand you being unhappy the rooms are in the process of being refurbished. Simon Daniel - General Manager

Reviewed 17 September 2018

Very helpful friendly staff who were always at hand to cater for our needs. Breakfast was plentiful and of a high standard. Just what we needed before a long trek across the Brecon Beacons. Nant Ddu is ideally located out of Brecon for walking the Brecon beacons national Park.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends