Bluebeard's Beach Club and Villas
Mafolie Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)(Great Value!)
US$196
Expedia
  • Free Internet
Villa Marbella Suites(St. Thomas)
Olga's Fancy(Charlotte Amalie)
TripAdvisor
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove(Charlotte Amalie)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsnice guypool baraqua marinepaninisgrocery storelime treerented a carenergy surchargesand fleaswyndham ownersstudio loftstray catscharlotte amaliebeautiful beachsmall resortlaid backplenty of beach chairs
Reviewed 20 May 2017

We bought this time share condo before it was rehabbed from a hurricane damaged hotel to its present form. We have stayed here for 2 weeks each winter (January) for the last 19 years. Although our room is a little small, who would not love the location- right on the beach. The grounds have been improved in the last few years and look great. The pool is very nice. As of 2016, there is now a very good restaurant on property. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank richard s
Reviewed 21 April 2017

We were here for 3 weeks!!! It was a great vacation. St. Thomas, in general, is a great place to visit with lots to do from snorkeling, diving, sailing, shopping, history tours and excursions to various islands like St. John (very close) and St. Croix (far). With 3 weeks to spend, we did it all and enjoyed every minute of it. Bluebeards is excellent in many ways (with a few drawbacks, as with any place).

First the good: The location is perfect. It is about 15 minutes from downtown Charlotte Amalie (the Capitol) where there are tons of shops, restaurants, bars, and activities and a bit further from Red Hook which is another big town with more of the same and also the ferry to St John ($50 round trip with car or, I think, $7 each way to just walk on). We had a car and drove everywhere, although, driving on the left is not for the timid and the roads are very windy and hilly. I hope I remember to drive on the right when I go home. On site there is a small general store which has anything you might need in a pinch. We thought the prices were high but when we went to the supermarket, the food prices were just as expensive. The restaurant on site has a nice variety of choices from inexpensive burgers to more expensive local dishes. Music was playing often and was very pleasant. The pool has a walk-up bar and food prepared by the general store; again at reasonable prices and good quality. All of the units face the beach with balconies and the view is spectacular. There are plenty of beach chairs, hammocks and a dive shop on site to get snorkel gear, book excursions or rent a kayak or paddleboard. The sand is clean and the beach is a great place to swim and snorkel without leaving the premises. It is very quiet and secluded and a perfect place for couples or single who just want to relax and take in the gorgeous sun.

Of course, with any place, there are some drawbacks. We had a studio on the second floor. The unit was clean, had a comfortable king sized bed and pull-out couch (if needed), and mini kitchen. Mini is the operative word. Being here for 3 weeks, we cooked a lot. We only had a mini refrigerator (motel size) so it was difficult to store much food. There is no oven, only a stove top. The kitchen sink was so small that you couldn't fit a pot in it to wash so we washed everything in the bathroom sink. We had a picnic table outside with 2 chairs and a small table inside with 2 chairs. Since the unit is so small, if you needed the couch, you would have to move the table in order to open it up (which we didn't). Our friends were in a studio on the first floor. They had a full sized kitchen which was great, however, they had only a picnic table outside with an umbrella so they had to eat all meals outside. A few times when it rained, they came by us in order to get out of the rain (although it was infrequent). There are some mosquitoes so at night we met at our place and hung out inside, although the breeze kept most of them away if you wanted to sit outside. Another couple had a 1 bedroom which was spectacular (compared to ours). It had a full sized kitchen, 1 1/2 baths, outside deck, inside table and windows with a beach view from the bedroom. All of the units are a bit dated (ours seemed newer) but clean. Because there are no ovens, they offer grills, however, they were charcoal grills instead of gas. There is a $22 per night energy charge which, after 3 weeks, was very expensive. I think for that price they should offer FREE wifi (which even cheap motels offer). Instead you have to pay per day, per week or per month and the service is terrible. It is only good for checking email and slow searches. Don't bother trying to stream any movies because it cuts out often.

All things considered, we loved it here. I would definitely recommend Bluebeard's to anyone wanting to come to St. Thomas because of the value for the money. If you could afford to pay more, then, of course, you can get more amenities. The staff was friendly and responded to any of our needs quickly and effortlessly. A great vacation getaway in a beautiful setting. Highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Second floor studios have covered balcony but smaller room. One bedroom has it all!
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Pete_LongIsland_NY
Reviewed 18 April 2017

If you liked to be pampered on vacation then you would not give the same rating as I did for this resort. You will have the basics that you need to be comfortable in your surroundings but that is it. Don't plan on connecting to Wifi unless you want to pay an outrageous rate ON TOP of the $22 they charge you a day for "Energy Usage" When we arrived in our room there was a band aid stuck to the floor and a dirty wine glass left in the bathroom so the housekeeping staff could step up their game a little bit but the appliances all worked. (however only 1 of 4 outside ICE MACHINES worked) (Bring ice cube trays with you) The bed is comfortable. The water is hot when you shower. Since I only spend time in the room to sleep, have breakfast and shower my needs were adequately met. We had a balcony with a table and two chairs. The door leading out to the balcony has a nice sized gap in it so we had to kill more than a few mosquitoes in our room but that is the same in every tropical location.
The resort is unique. They have an abundance of cats and crabs. Literally there is a crab sanctuary between the rooms and the beach. And there are CATS everywhere. They even have a kitty cafe set up behind the buildings because you aren't allowed to feed the felines anywhere else. After a rain you can certainly SMELL that there are cats around but other than that, they aren't a nuisance. Boots at the Dive Shop and Cali (the calico one) were my favorites. They will let you pet them for hours!
The beach is sufficient and there is no shortage of chairs so you don't have to run down and reserve a spot at 6 AM.
There is a pool with a swim up bar and a restaurant onsite. The restaurant has really good food and a nice view of the water while you eat. Their drinks are just OK but I was pleased with the meal I had. There is also a little shop on the grounds that has necessities. Don't freak out that bananas are a dollar a piece. Those prices are comparable to the super market. We spent $100 at the grocery store buying bread, milk, eggs, water, cheese, butter, and fruit. It was considerably more expensive than shopping at home where I am from in Pennsylvania but that is also to be expected.
If you like to snorkel the reef off of the left side of the beach has more to see. I saw squid, a small turtle and 2 small stingrays off to the left whereas I didn't see much of anything off to the right.
If you dive, book your trip with Aquamarine right there on the beach. You will be glad you did. I went on dive trips with two different companies while there and Aquamarine was by far, my favorite. I don't know if you can request whose boat you go on but you will be in luck if you get Jason and Jordan.
My final piece of advice...RENT A CAR. I compare driving in St. Thomas to the worlds longest oldest wooden roller coaster. If you have ever been on a wooden roller coaster you will understand the comparison your first time driving anywhere out of Blue Beard's. Our navigation sent us RIGHT up the hill every single place we went and within 3 minutes of driving you have already done sharp corners steep downgrades and rattled and bounced your way all over your car on the "paved" roads. If you don't have a bad back you will after a trip pretty much anywhere on the island.
My list of places I want to see is very long and St. Thomas did not quite make it to the "I MUST go back" category but all in all it was a very good trip. If I did return I would probably stay at a different resort since most of the things I did were more towards the red hook part of the island.

Room Tip: all the rooms face the ocean so they can call them ocean view. But the ocean might be hard to see from the ground floor.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JustVixen
Alexis N, Owner Care at Bluebeard's Beach Club and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2017

Thank you for this great feedback. This will allow us to continue to enhance the vacation experience at our resort. Please let us know if there are opportunities to make your stay better in the future.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

Small and relaxing. In a few days you will get to know almost all the guests and staff.
Beach is awesome and not a lot of people, we could always get a chair any time of the day.
The pool was clean and refreshing. The pool bar was nice also.
The food was good at the beach bar and the staff was very friendly.
Loft rooms had great views and very comfortable, but needed a little sprucing up.
We would love to go back next March.

Room Tip: all rooms face the ocean, upper units have the best view,
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BostonRic50
Reviewed 2 April 2017

This is a small resort, but has everything you need. The beach is very clean and right there. Plenty of chairs. Clean pool with a swim up bar. Dive shop on premises. Rooms are very nice, all are ocean view. Staff was very friendly, Sonny went out of his way to find us some sea glass that I collect. The food was good, but there are so many better restaurants on the island that you should not miss out on any of those. The only thing I wish is that they had more activities going on in the evening. Concierge is very very helpful. I would definitely return, and would recommend this resort to my friends!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family