“Worthy of a visit”

Coqui Fire Cafe
Price range: US$8 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Coqui Fire Cafe is located two blocks from Blackbeards on Calle Carlos Lebrum. We are open Mon-Fri 5-9 pm. We serve Interior Mexican Food with an International flare. We offer an upscale casual dinning experience with affordable prices....
Reviewed 6 April 2021

A restaurant with delicious food, great service... plus an open and airy dining experience? Those are all tough boxes to tick in the time of Covid but fortunately Coqui Fire Cafe checks them all. Our party enjoyed all the entrees we tried: fajitas, burritos, tacos, pork belly (special of the day), mahi mahi (fish of the day) plus lots of chips, salsa and guacamole. Feeling spicy? Ask for their homemade salsas or venture to those dishes featuring the various mole sauces. (my red mole was so flavorful - smoky with just the right amount of heat) Did I mention fun cocktails? Coqui has those as well.

Wherever you are staying on the island, do your stomach a favor and make a point to dine at Coqui.

Date of visit: March 2021
Write a reviewReviews (719)

Reviewed 3 April 2021 via mobile

Long before we arrived on the island, our first time to Vieques, I was reading about which restaurants to visit because my husband and I are food lovers. Coqui fire cafe kept popping up and so it was on the top of my list.
We arrived the weekend before Easter weekend and set out to find delicious food. I think we just kept going down different roads on our golf cart and kept missing Coqui or else we walked by in the morning when it wasn’t open yet, so in my mind I kept thinking maybe it wasn’t open because other restaurants are temporarily closed right now or have really reduced hours.

This is where synchronicity stepped in. Our last night on the island, we were riding in a cab back from Esperanza at around 745 and we went down the street where Coqui is and I saw the lights on and the doors open and said “ oh my gosh we have to go!” I called and they told me that they are completely booked out but they have a few walk-in tables.
I said will be there in 15 minutes! when we showed up we got lucky- we were seated right away and had the most wonderful dining experience we have had in so long!

Definitely within the top two best restaurants on the island (although I can’t think of what the other place that comes close to Coqui. )
The drinks were smooth, the tuna tacos a symphony of flavors, the filet mignon absolutely perfect and my blackened shrimp as well...and topped it off with mesquite smoky graham cracker crust blueberry cheese cake, wow!!
My husband enjoyed watching the chefs work their magic in the kitchen and we had a lovely conversation with our waiter, the hostess who is part owner as well as the head chef.
We talked with them both quite a bit as we were leaving, learning a little about the history of the restaurant and how they’ve persevered through so many challenges——2 hurricanes, moving locations, earthquake, and the blasted COVID... Thank God for everyone that they did!

Date of visit: April 2021
Reviewed 13 March 2021

The service and food was great. The place is popular so check if you need reservations. I made a mistake with one of our orders and they were very kind in helping me resolve it. This was the best place we ate on the island. I feel they went above and beyond in serving our table.

1  Thank Teasdale-Utah
Reviewed 11 March 2021

Covid is bad for businesses with limited seating, but good for the diner, with more personalized attention, excellent service, a greater feeling of intimacy and prompt food delivery. No waiting, but do your part to help the restaurant by not dawdling over your food. Dawdle next year, when this all is over!! I had one of the best entrees I have ever had, and I live with a chef! The tuna was the fish special of the day and it was nothing less than incredible. The spicy margaritas are insanely good, made with one of CF's own hot sauces. They have many many many... take a few home... Kat and Jimmy, the owners/chef came around to say hi and chat us up, and our server Margaret was superb. Cheesecake? Did someone say cheesecake? You've never had cheesecake like this. I'm calling and making another reservation RIGHT NOW.

Reviewed 16 February 2021

I was ignorant at first and didn't want to visit Coqui Fire Cafe despite its great reviews because they serve Mexican cuisine - not because I dislike it but because we visited Mexico 3 times last year and usually when we travel I simply want to go for the "local" food.

However after not being super satisfied after a few meals in Esperanza we decided to stop for our last dinner on the island at Coqui in Isabela Segunda as people raved here about the food quality and hospitality; now I know why!

The folks running this place are amazingly friendly, I don't remember when was the last time we spoke so much with other people when dining out and! enjoying it so much - super pleasant experience!

The food was absolutely excellent and I am drooling as I am looking at them now :) I am a big rum lover so at first I was a bit disappointed about Margaritas but then I saw there shelf lined up with some great quality Tequila and we ordered 2... and I recalled how good this stuff is if it's done right and here it definitely was done right! Very inexpensive and generous for huge glasses ($7 each) - outstanding deal! My wife ordered the spicy one and we both enjoyed it - they add their house made hot sauce and it gives the kick but doesn't "steal" the taste of Tequila/Margarita - brilliant!

Don't be as stubborn as me and don't wait until the last night in Vieques to try it, go for it the sooner the better as you may enjoy it so much that you may actually return again before you leave! This is not the place you come for the views or sunset, it's the delicious food & drinks and hospitality that makes Coqui Fire Cafe shine!

TIP: parking in front of is very limited but you can check in the sides streets and there is always something (just make sure parking is allowed there so you don't get towed away)

Date of visit: December 2020