40 people are viewing this hotel
Agoda.comUS$218
Hotels.comUS$248
FindHotelUS$218
14,392 results
All reviews don pablo gold club jerk chicken the grill a la carte restaurants dolce vita main buffet beach restaurant snack bar nude beach orchid buffet lobster japanese restaurant beautiful resort air transat room safe towel hut
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We were here for a wedding in November which coming from Saskatchewan is a tad early in the season but what can you do.

Over all I thought the resort was well maintained on the outside and getting a little tired on the inside. When we were there the mix seemed about 60% Canadian, 15% UK, 15% rest of Europe and a few Americans. I certainly wasn't busy or full but this was November. I think the economy hurting US travel has effected upkeep but that is an assumption on my part.

Although a little tired our room was very clean and our housekeeping staff friendly. All the staff at this resort were very accommodating and although we tip quite well we still got good service if we didn't have any cash on us.

Beach area is very nice, there are some rocky spots but lots of area that is not.

I used the on site scuba operator for a two tank dive on two different days. Staff at scuba shop and on the boat were very good. Diving in Jamaica is rather boring as I understand over fishing has depleted fish stocks. I knew this coming in so my expectations were met. I had four nice dives in warm water with pretty good visibility.

I am not a big all inclusive type traveller so I don't have a ton of comparison. However I do travel a fair bit. The on site Jerk chicken and lunch is very good I thing I ate it three times. We also had teppanyaki and it was excellent. We had a set meal in the Italian restaurant fro the wedding and it was less than spectacular.

I am not sure how many all came to the wedding but in our family there was seven. We all started the day together with breakfast and we may have over tipped as our waitress pretty much stalked us after that. It actually got to a point where we changed restaurants.

The wedding went off without a hitch and although I wasn't that close to that part of the trip I heard that the staff was good to work with.

All inclusives aren't my travel of close but they are dirt cheap and you absolutely get value. And this property is no exception, very good value.

Date of stay: November 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Saskwatches
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Dont listen to the bad reviews. Everything thing was excellent. From the food to the staff. My only problem with our first room was the noise from the disco at night. When I asked to be moved they said that they were full and could not for 3 days. When I said I upgraded to Royal Golden and demanded to be moved they agreed and the second room well.... was amazing.. Room 18423 has the most amazing view and waking up to the sound of the sea every morning...priceless.

We were treated like kings and would not hesitate to go back. All the a la carte restaurants were unbeleiveable especially the Japenese show cooking. We haven't laughted that hard at supper in years. The jerk chicken is to die for also Too sum up the trip Mon is IRE. NO PROBLEM. Just go and have fun and enjoy the sun and the people.

Room tip: rooms in the 1800 block where we stayed are highly recomended
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
9  Thank condar2012
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Stayed with husband and 2 kids over march break. This hotel is great value for the money. The beach and water to the left of the hotel are stunning. Lots of sun and shade, lots of chairs, not too crowded even though the hotel seemed full. The beach bar at the far end is a real luxury. there is good snorkeling in several spots, just ask at the water sports center.

The pool is nice but nothing terribly special. Nice to have 2 swim up bars, and only a short wait for a drink. Can be hard to get chairs after about 7:30am. Towels are often in short supply, so don,t expect a new towel anytime. It was a llittle noisy for us with loud music and games running.

Food was very good at the buffet, and not too repititious. We enjoyed all 3 al a cartes - Italian, Japanese, grill. Only suggestion to the hotel is to have good coffee available early in the morning, before 7:00, for early risers. We could not get a decent cup in the lobby (machine with styrofoam cups) and the buffet did not open until 7:00.

Rooms are clean and nicely furnished. They are starting to show sign of wear and tear so if you are the picky type you might be disappointed. Our first rooms were right over the lobby bar, which has live, loud music, and we are "early to bed types" with kids. I asked to be moved and the next day we were moved to rooms that perfectly suited us. Staff at the front desk, Alicia and Opal, we're very pleasant and helpful. I think it helps to be pleasant, calm and not overly demanding or complaining.

Tipping was a little confusing in the buffet restaurant as the servers seemed to be covering multiple areas, and moving around from section to section. I do think that staff appreciates if you can hand them a tip directly. If you leave it on the table then you never know which server will pick it up. I always tipped the room maid and we had fantastic service- plenty of towels, an extra blanket, towel designs everyday, fridge refilled everyday.

Shows - we only went to one show and we left early because there were so many smokers. I would say that the one show we saw was not as good as I have seen at other resorts.

Kids club- we did not use this, and I was surprised to see that all the playground equipment was in full sun. I did not see a single child in this play area at all.

Staff was super friendly and happy. Service was always prompt and we never had to wait very long for anything, except for our room on our check in day. I really think that a $1 tip here and there can go a long way. There was a lot of security, so we always felt safe.

Water is drinkable and none of us had any tummy trouble at all, which is unusual for us. No problem with bugs at all. No Mosquitos that bothered us.

So, if you can relax, smile and not expect perfection, but enjoy the beauty around you, then you will have an amazing vacation.

Tip- bring a thermal mug with you so you can fill up with water, or whatever, when you are at the beach.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank noname021
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We have been to a number of GBP Resorts but never this one. Service is Outstanding. The staff go above and beyond to please you and yes I feel that worthy of a tip. So I advise to bring lots of $1 bills. They could teach our service industry here in Canada a few things about service. These Jamacians work very hard for very little weekly pay.
Food was plentiful and good. We are having buffet withdrawal since arriving back home. Even though I am a picky eater there is lots of choice whether you are a fussy eater, vegetarian or meat lover. Room Service was convenient especially when we arrived at 1:30am and didn't feel like looking around for food (Air-transat was delayed). The fine-dinning restaurants were fantastic. In the Japanese & Don Pablo restaurants they cook certain dishes in front of you and it's quite the entertaining show. We went to the Grill on March 3rd and it was fantastic, the cut of meat was great but then we went there on March 8th and the food was not as enjoyable as it was earlier that week.
Check-in was easy, our wrist-bands and room key were given to us on the bus on the way to the hotel. Even though we arrived very late there was bell hops waiting at the hotel to help us with our luggage. ☺ Much Appreciated!
We didn't hang around the pools although they are beautiful and well maintained. Every morning the staff vacums the pool and tests the water. There are a few different beaches to choose from. Water shoes are a must except for the beach just past the jerk chicken place. Snorkelling is great by the wedding gazebo in the little cove.
The hotel is wheel-chair accessible, ramps and elevators everywhere. For the rest of us, yes there is lots of walking but hey most of us North Americans could use the exercise,(don't get upset, just saying it how it is). Our electrician friend whom we travelled with told us that it appears that the hotel has "roaming brown power outages" during the day and this is common in a big resort to try save some power throughout the day as ppl leave their AC and lights on while they are not in their room. The only time this affected us was our clock radio wouldn't keep the proper time.
Enterainment - there is free entertainment at the hotel from morning to night in different locations.
Excursions – the only tour we booked out of the hotel was the Bob Marley tour. We had a great time, met lots of cool ppl and learned alot about Rasta culture. This is NOT a kid tour so if you are travelling with kids leave them with the sitter service at the hotel. On this tour we seen a lot of ppl who live ïn the hills and it a wake-up call to all of us from North America who live with many luxuries that we take for granted. We could all live with a little less.
Another day we booked a cab driver, Martin, for our party of 4 for the entire day, $80. He took us wherever we wanted to do. We went to Dunns River Falls, a music shop for our musician friend, the open market and then we got some sugar cane, YUM YUM! He waited for us the entire time, wherever we were. The open market is not for 1st time travellers. You will feel like fish food with all the marketers begging or you to come to their booth. If you can get past this, you will get some incredible deals - I DID!

We got a free helicopter ride by attending the Privilege Club presentation. No purchase necessary but we did becasue we are already fans of GBP Resorts. The helicopter ride was along the coast. The pilot was from Olds, AB, Canada. He told us that Canadian Pilots help train the Jamacian Pilots on how to fight forest fires. This helicopter ride was neat!

The only recommendations I would have for the Owners of GBP Resorts would be to please replenish the facecloth supply so the housekeeper can restock our room at the time of cleaning. The housekeepers do their best but can't give you what they don't have. I.E. - Facecloths.

If you read this review thru you will find the most IMPORTANT TIP here - go to Canadian Tire and buy the Big Bubba Cups - you won't be disappointed. We only had to go to the bar twice a day to get a fill and our thermal cups kept it cold all day long.

Room tip: Club Golden is worth extra $$
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
12  Thank JodyS886
Reviewed 22 March 2012

A group of around 80 of us travelled to the GBP Jamaica from March 10-17 for a wedding. Having been to the GBP Punta Cana I had no expectations that the resort wouldn't be a nice one, despite some of the mixed reviews here. I wasn't truthfully blown away by the resort. Was it nice? Sure. But it just wasn't anything special. The rooms were clean but it was hit and miss with some things. We left a good sized tip and a nice note asking for a couple of extra towels but never received them. I kept tipping and got nothing. Others in our wedding group got everything they asked for, including Pringles. It was just odd because most of us were in the same general area of the resort but the level of service was different (none of us were club golden). Staff weren't unpleasant but I didn't find them overly friendly either - they just seemed indifferent. The food was good - nothing to say "wow" about, but it was good and there was always lots to eat. The red wine was surprisingly decent but the white was barely drinkable.

We had no trouble getting towels in the mornings and no trouble getting loungers on the beach. We didn't play the towel game on the beach but it was evident it ran rampant at the pool - we noticed most chairs were taken by 7am when we went to breakfast. We love the beach though so we spent our entire day on the beach towards the nude bar - sandy beach, close to clean washrooms and the beach bar. 6 days of laying in the sun from 8:30am until 4 or 5pm - how can you beat that?? Since many of our group were beach bums, we enjoyed this part of the vacation immensely. The snorkelling was good and the vendors weren't pushy at all. It was never crazy busy at that end even though it was March Break, and you rarely had to wait long for anything. That said, sometimes you had to specify that you wanted a drink blended instead of just shaken over ice. I'd never seen a Mudslide shaken before and apparently it wasn't very good - after that, our group had to specify they wanted the drinks made in the blender.

Tipping was odd. I didn't find people asked for tips at all and they didn't actually seem to care one way or the other when you did tip them. One poor guy at the beach bar actually refused a tip which really confused us. I didn't find the level of service changed whether you tipped or didn't tip and we generally tip quite well but it just didn't seem like they cared.

The wedding gazebo was in a great place for pictures and the wedding seemed to go off without a hitch. I know there was a problem with the photographer but that was resolved to the best of my knowledge. The wedding reception was held in the Italian restaurant - the food was quite good and service was prompt.

My biggest problem with the resort was that it didn't actually seem to cater to a mature crowd. The lobby bar closed at 11pm sharp and your options after that were loud and crowded. This was a first for me and I've been to several all-inclusives in several countries. This lobby bar was huge and there was a very nice outdoor component to it where we enjoyed sitting and having some cocktails in the evening, along with some nice conversation. It would have been nice to be able to enjoy it longer than we did. Many of us didn't want to go to the disco or to the sports or karaoke bars. The sports bar smelled very bad and seemed quite dirty; the karaoke bar just had an odd layout. None of the 3 were really set up for relaxing and chatting. That was my biggest disappointment and even that wasn't the end of the world - I just found it strange.

Overall, the resort was a nice one but it just didn't feel like a 5 star resort; maybe a 4. I didn't have high expectations after the reviews so I wasn't disappointed. I wasn't blown away by it and I probably won't return to this resort but I wouldn't tell people to avoid it either. Everyone has different tastes and opinions. Having stayed at a Sandals in Antigua and a 3.5 star in Cuba, I can honestly say this resort fell somewhere in the middle. It was just a nice average vacation.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends